• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Sticky Turn Signal Switch?

Rocket Crotch

MotoGP
Oct 18, 2017
Has anyone noticed that their turn signal switch can sometimes stick, preventing you from signaling? Mine seems to get stuck at random times while other times I'm able to use it without a problem. Just trying to figure out if it's a quirk of the CB650 or if I may need to get a replacement part.

pbsc

CBR650F ABS
Oct 3, 2017
California
Just bought mine today and first thing I noticed was I needed training on the turn signal switch. I'm still new to the bike, but mine seems to work better if I reach in w/my thumb and and pul out gently while flicking it right or left.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I think it’s angled wrong. Mine you have to run your thumb lower and more deliberate than you should. Almost like it was borrowed from a previous bike where it was mounted higher and not reversed with the horn

Rocket Crotch

MotoGP
Oct 18, 2017
Today I discovered that if it is stuck in one direction, nudging it in the opposite direction then back to the direction you originally wanted to indicate seems to make it work. Seems like it's a CB650 thing.

CBFinn

CB650R ABS
Aug 7, 2017
Finland
Has anyone noticed that their turn signal switch can sometimes stick, preventing you from signaling? Mine seems to get stuck at random times while other times I'm able to use it without a problem. Just trying to figure out if it's a quirk of the CB650 or if I may need to get a replacement part.

I've noticed the same. Even when tried another Cb650f at the shop. My earlier bike (Cb500f) did not have this issue.

bobstrax

CB650F ABS
Oct 1, 2017
Lincolnshire
I agree with Baugustine, if it was reversed with the horn it would be so much easier to use, like some other bikes I can think of. First week or so I kept hitting horn instead of signal so used to having it the other way around. Should be entirely possible to fit one of these type instead, if you so choose, I wont I as I have got used to it now :)

bobstrax

CB650F ABS
Oct 1, 2017
Lincolnshire
Yes personal preference I suppose, retrained my thumb last few weeks and its not an issue now.....of course I'll jump back onto Bandit and probably hit the horn a few times :))

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
There were some issues mentioned on the old forum that a batch of signal switches were bad in the 2016/2017 model year bikes, wasn’t there? I thought I remember some people getting them replaced under warranty.

Regardless, it should be fixed, that’s why you have a warranty. Take it back to your dealer for them to look at it.

As far as the position of where it is, seems like the Taiwan made Honda’s all have it swapped with the horn because I remember my Grom and NC700 having it “backwards”. Swapping back and forth between my other bikes always has me hitting the horn instead of the signal once or twice but I’m always amazed how quickly something so ingrained can be adapted to. I had a BMW K1300GT for a short time and it had the corresponding signal on each bar, that too a bit of time because you kind of “lift” the switch but even that wasn’t awful to get used to.

Wish they left it alone, however. Not a huge fan of change for changes sake.

Rocket Crotch

MotoGP
Oct 18, 2017
So after riding for a while and paying specific attention to the switch, I realized that it was getting snagged on the cancelling mechanism because it sticks out so far. With my gloves on I don't always push it exactly sideways, sometimes I push it slightly inwards which causes it to jam. With no gloves on I have no problem operating it so it seems to be a case of "fat fingering" with gloves on. Guess it requires a special touch.

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
perhaps an adjustment to the instruments position on the bar?
I still dislike the swap of the horn and indication switches so rotated the block on the bar to help make the horn easy to access. it still shits me after almost 3 years but at least my access to the indicator switch is without issue.

dadger

Moto3
Sep 22, 2014
Southampton
I reported this sticking on my '14 when I got it. Nothing done by dealer as it was not regular. Still does it now rarely!

Also still reach for the wrong spot when going for the horn when needed in emergency. Had the old positioning for 4 decades, so not surprised!:oldman:

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Only had my 2018 CBF650 4 days and am having trouble with the indicator switch sticking sometimes , can be when pushing to right or left . This is dangerous. I had the same problem with a 2013 NC700X . I don't like the indicator switch /horn arrangement but that is another matter . It should work properly all the time without fail and with gloves as motorcyclists are expected to wear. I will report it to my Honda dealer (but what do they do if it is an inherent design fault with the handlebar switch unit )
Can they get a ' traditional ' switch unit for this bike ? I have never had trouble with handlebar switches on other bikes ( apart from the NC700X )

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
So if it’s been issues on both bikes that had these “alternate” switch pods I’d say it’s an operation thing because I know I had zero problems with the CBR, Grom and NC700X that weren’t anything that I did wrong. Sonthe drsign and execution of the switch are sound.

There was someone who posted a few weeks ago that they switched to a “normal” setup but had to move pins around the connector. Search around a bit, info should be there.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Been to my Honda dealer - it seems it is a bit of an error in the operating technique. If you push the switch in slightly as you are moving switch to left or right it does 'jam'. You need to sort of hook your thumb under the switch particularly when turning left, but being aware of that it is still catching me out sometimes.

Top Bottom