Resolved/Implemented Posting

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
United States / Northern KY
Riding Since
Just the phone. It said copy from camera or media which is my pictures,haven't a clue,🤔
That's weird.

If using the web browser, you can try just copying the full eBay URL as it appears on the address bar.

Or, see if there is a"share" link on the eBay page and copy the address from there.

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
Guys, forgive me for posting this here but didn't think it was worth starting a new thread over my query.

Has the old forum been completely shut down? I was searching for a thread where aaronlukemarshall aaronlukemarshall discussed his silent sprocket ognibene setup and couldn't find it. I found the bookmark to the old site which doesn't seem to work either. Anyone experience a similar thing?

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
Riding Since
Guys, forgive me for posting this here but didn't think it was worth starting a new thread over my query.

Has the old forum been completely shut down? I was searching for a thread where aaronlukemarshall aaronlukemarshall discussed his silent sprocket ognibene setup and couldn't find it. I found the bookmark to the old site which doesn't seem to work either. Anyone experience a similar thing?
It seems like it is. The site was abandoned by the owners long ago, and was basically just surviving.

It's down for everyone, everywhere, so it's not just you.

Screenshot_20180423-210920.jpg

Somchai

CBR650F ABS
Jan 13, 2018
Thailand
Did a whois query on that domain. Looks like it expired 22 March 2018.

Domain name:
motorforums.co.uk

Registrant:
Andrew MacGuffie

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
1 Middleton Close
nottingham
Ng16 1BX
NG16 1BX
United Kingdom

Data validation:
Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 15-Mar-2016

Registrar:
Paragon Internet Group Ltd t/a Tsohost [Tag = UKWEBHOSTING]
URL: http://www.tsohost.co.uk

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 22-Mar-2016
Expiry date: 22-Mar-2018
Last updated: 22-Mar-2017

Registration status:
Renewal required.
*** This registration has been SUSPENDED. ***

Name servers:
ns1.tsohost.co.uk 195.62.28.14
ns2.tsohost.co.uk 95.142.155.4
ns3.tsohost.co.uk 95.142.154.15

WHOIS lookup made at 07:52:15 27-Apr-2018

--
This WHOIS information is provided for free by Nominet UK the central registry for .uk domain names.
This information and the .uk WHOIS are:

Copyright Nominet UK 1996 - 2018.

Somchai

CBR650F ABS
Jan 13, 2018
Thailand
Another option is to pay the hosting fee for e.g. one month, allowing ample time to make a full backup.
This assumes of course that the site is not destroyed yet, but only its access blocked.
The "suspended" state in the whois info infers this.

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
I thought as much, shame because there was some useful stuff on there but i suppose over time it will re-appear here eventually. Thanks all.

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
Riding Since
Maybe we should send a letter, offering a token amount for the forum database?
It's worth a try. There's lots of good info in the old site. I sometimes checked it.
Maybe someone made a backup, while the site was still up?
At one point it crossed my mind, but assumed GPJake @haqzore might have done it already.
Another option is to pay the hosting fee for e.g. one month, allowing ample time to make a full backup.
This assumes of course that the site is not destroyed yet, but only its access blocked.
The "suspended" state in the whois info infers this.

I have done all of the above, without exaggeration, probably 20+ times over the last 2-3 years.

Well before this site was even started I offered to take over the old one financially and keep the prior owners on as Administrators.
At one point, once per month, I:
  • Sent a private message at the 650 forum with the offer to buy.
  • Sent an email via the "contact us" link at the 650 forum with the offer to buy.
  • Sent a private message at the "home" MotoForums with the offer to buy.
  • Sent an email via the "contact us" link at the "home MotoForums with the offer to buy.
  • Sent an email to the registrar of the domains asking for any other contact information of the site owners.
I did this every month for, quite literally, years. I never received any response.

As we've long suspected, the owners are essentially "gone". For whatever reason, they're just not around to respond/etc. Hope all is well with them and they just lost interest?

I also looked at "scraping" info from the old site. This is very unethical in the world of web administration, but I wanted only to preserve information. Unfortunately, I couldn't get anything that would retain, at minimum, post ownership (ie: being able to tell JohnDoe made the post on the old site, so tie it to JohnDoe here on this site). I could only get a huge mass of text, without any way to put into a usable format on this site.

The writing was on the wall for a long time, which drove me to start this site up. I'm glad we've been able to get established here. It's a labor of love for me.
I love motorcycles, and running forums is a hobby as well. Unlike the old site, there isn't a single advertisement or sponsor here. The software + domain + hosting are 100% out of pocket.

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
Riding Since
I could send a snail mail letter to the address?

Also, if you supply PayPal details I'm sure a few of us would chip in.

J
I actually thought of that myself a few times... But ultimately never got around to it.
It was such radio silence on the digital side that, to be honest, I figured it was a lost cause.
Best case scenario would be to get the database. That way I could import it and merge user accounts so it's seamless.

+1 Certainly would. It's a slick, well run forum. Any issue I've had you've sorted within hours.

Really do appreciate the offers! I will keep it in mind, but not necessary for now.
Love you guys!

Somchai

CBR650F ABS
Jan 13, 2018
Thailand
+1 Me too. Wonder if the registrar (Paragon) would be willing to open up the old site for a short time for a small fee?
Copyright and ethics aside, if the site was still running, a recursive (html) page copy could probably be done, harvesting the complete site.
After that an import into the new site would be difficult, but not impossible with the right scripting.
Happy to help with that if needed.

Top Bottom