• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Parasitic draw

Stevo650F

CB650F ABS
Feb 9, 2020
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I've had my 650F for 10 months. I think I have a small problem with parasitic draw. I'm reading 40mA draw with the ignition off. The negative battery connection has the main negative lead and a smaller lead connected which appears to go to a black box under the toolkit. If I disconnect the smaller negative lead and measure I get a 0.2mA. Can anyone help me out with what the black box is under the toolkit. It has a lead coming off with a connector that looks like a diagnostic connector. My battery is draining in 7 days which is a real pain. I thought it might be the heated grips I just fitted but removing the fuse doesn't drop the current draw much at all.

Looking forward to the new forum
Steve

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Welcome to the forum!

If you didn't have problems with the battery prior to your installation of the heated grips then I'm guessing it HAS TO BE something in the way you installed the grips.
What EXACTLY did you do on installing the heated grips? Give us the exact breakdown of your process and we can diagnose better. Pictures always help!

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
Electrical diagnostics via keyboard difficult, and I only have a 2019 schem as a guide. ...an ABS model as yours should have a total of maybe 10 fuses in 2 or 3 various locations? After first backtracking all your previous work....pull 1 fuse at a time while still monitoring draw. May get lucky and determine which is the offending circuit.

The '19 schem shows battery neg branching out to starter and to an ABS 30A fuse....not a diagnostic port.....I'll stop right there as the wiring from 18 to 19 likely differs....I don't want to mislead you.

If a fuse pulling attempt doesn't yield any helpful results you'll need to get your hands on the proper schem for your '18 machine to go forward in an intelligent manner here. Wish I could offer more.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
First off, pics!

Does the bike have a tracker fitted or an alarm? Both of those often drain battery.

There will be a small drain for the dash/HISS light, but that usually stops after about 24 hours. As others have said, it's difficult over a keyboard.

What else is fitted that isn't stock?

Stevo650F

CB650F ABS
Feb 9, 2020
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies.
The grips were installed exactly as per oxford products instructions - literally the only place where they interact with the existing bike system is the connection of negative and positive connections to the battery. I just assumed it was the grip install that caused the issue but disconnected I still have draw. It might be coincidence but I don't think I've ever left the bike for more than a week before without riding. Christmas holidays!

The bike is standard as you can get in terms of electrical system - BUT, it does have a datatag tracker fitted by the previous owner. I assumed there where simply rfid chips. I will send some pics as I assume this part is not standard.

I'll also run through the fuse pull process. Pics to follow.....

helman

CBR650F ABS
Oct 2, 2019
Australia
When I had a gps tracker fitted to my bike the battery would drain in about 7 days necessitating setting up a solar charger to keep the battery charged when the bike was not in use.

I noticed that when I was trying to find ACC wires that the connector under the seat on the RHS of the bike had a couple of wires to the ABS fuses that were live all the time. Besides the green earth wires the only other wire here that was not live unless the ACC was on was a black wire with a red stripe.

Stevo650F

CB650F ABS
Feb 9, 2020
Hi All,
Thanks again for the replies.
In answer to miweber929, no USB charger. But I made that mistake on another bike and know they can kill the battery when connected over a couple of weeks.
So I took a couple of pics. The full pic you can see the -ve connection, the -ve of the grips and the additional -ve that I'm not sure where it goes.
I suspect it's something to do with the black box pictured. When the battery was low that had a red flashing led on it that i've never noticed before (not that I spend that much time under the seat). Could that be a tracker with a low battery warning?
20200210_220420.jpg 20200210_220403.jpg
The previous owner was subscribed to datatag tracking service. I haven't kept that service active but assume the hardware is still live. So that could be the source of the draw. I will investigate further when i get some time.
If anyone knows what the black box is please let me know. I googled the part numbers but don't get anything back.

Steve

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
If anyone knows what the black box is please let me know. I googled the part numbers but don't get anything back.

That is 100% a Datatool/Scorpion tracker. Not sure what version but it has similar markings to mine as I've just checked the photos I took of mine a few months ago. Mine also flashes with a red LED.

Even with no active subscription it will still call home regularly so that could be the source of your battery drain.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
i think you are on the right track (no pun intended). 40mA isn’t a big draw, so you are searching for something seemingly insignificant. If you run out of diagnostic steam w/o a root cause, connect up a trickle charger when your not riding and you’ll always be ready to go.

Stevo650F

CB650F ABS
Feb 9, 2020
Thanks everyone.
I'm pretty convinced there's nothing wrong then. My bike usually get's ridden every day but I've been treating the wife's YBR125 to the salt on the road this winter. It's probably always been like this but fitting the heated grips just coincides with it being left standing.
May be in the market for a battery optimizer!

Top Bottom