• Welcome - be sure to add your motorcycle to the Showcase!

CBR650R Newbeee

Barry Brooks

CBR650R
Feb 29, 2020
Hi, I'm collecting my new CBR650R on Thursday, woohoo, it's a 2019 with 2k km with full Akra system. I've sold my 2019 KTM Duke 790 to get this new bike, just for a change really. Never had a sports bike before, unless you class the S1000R as a sports bike....had MT09s and Harleys too.....SMC 690 was a favourite of mine, so this will be interesting. Preordered lots of crash protection bits, like you do...or don't. Ordered a DNA performance air filter too. Just wondering how it will run with a new air filter and free flowing exhaust....will it need a tune I wonder.....on previous bikes, S1000R, Aprila Dorsoduro I fitted Booster plugs to smooth things out and adjust the mixture to make it richer, which seemed to work. Any thoughts on this would be helpful. I live in Rojales Alicante Spain, moved here from Brighton (my home for 45 years) in 2017.....just for the bike weather...lovin it. Be safe.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Hello and welcome!! Let’s see some pics :)

As far as a tuner, you will not need one as the bike runs a closed loop FI system and will account for the changes. It wouldn’t hurt, but know Dyno Jet has no plans to make one for the R so you’ll struggle to find something. Lots of info already on the forum so search around a bit; the F and R are extremely similar in function.

I’m not sold on Booster plugs because all they do is fake the bike out in the air temperature so in essence it runs with the “choke” on at all, times. Lots of people use them, and some swear by them, but I’ve not seen any hard, non-biased info that they do any good.

YMMV, however b

Barry Brooks

CBR650R
Feb 29, 2020
Hello and welcome!! Let’s see some pics :)

As far as a tuner, you will not need one as the bike runs a closed loop FI system and will account for the changes. It wouldn’t hurt, but know Dyno Jet has no plans to make one for the R so you’ll struggle to find something. Lots of info already on the forum so search around a bit; the F and R are extremely similar in function.

I’m not sold on Booster plugs because all they do is fake the bike out in the air temperature so in essence it runs with the “choke” on at all, times. Lots of people use them, and some swear by them, but I’ve not seen any hard, non-biased info that they do any good.

YMMV, however b
Wow.....Mike, that's great news, I wondered why I couldn't see anything on the PCV website for the CBR650R....thanks for the comprehensive reply...

Funnily enough, I see WR250F on your list, I'm also looking to get something similar used, as cheap as poss, but not a lemon, that I can use to practice wheelies and throw about on a daily basis, just for fun...ideally I'd like a WR250x as I won't be doing anything off road, only tarmac riding....anything you can tell me to watch out for buying used....does the F R or X make much difference based on what I'm using it for, I know nothing about these bikes. FYI a 450 would be fine too, F R or X. Probably looking at anything 2006 onwards with up to 20,000 km I think....? Any help you can provide would be great..

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
To miweber929 @miweber929 s point above, the only way to make an EFI motor run richer (long term) is to bias the O2 sensor lean, bias the MAP sensor, crank up fuel pressure or a proper tune. I’m not recommending any, just pointing out how the programming works. Honestly, unless you make substantial changes to the entire exhaust or cylinder head design, there is no reason to fatten the fuel curve. What perceived problem are you trying to solve by making the mixture richer?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Funnily enough, I see WR250F on your list, I'm also looking to get something similar used, as cheap as poss, but not a lemon, that I can use to practice wheelies and throw about on a daily basis, just for fun...ideally I'd like a WR250x as I won't be doing anything off road, only tarmac riding....anything you can tell me to watch out for buying used....does the F R or X make much difference based on what I'm using it for, I know nothing about these bikes. FYI a 450 would be fine too, F R or X. Probably looking at anything 2006 onwards with up to 20,000 km I think....? Any help you can provide would be great..
Thanks for calling attention to the F and not R in the signature, it should read ‘10 WR250R. I changed it when I sold my WR450F to get it and must have missed that.

Lots of info out there on the F, R and X so look around, be prepared to spend days reading. Basically the R and X are identical with the exception of wheels and front brake rotors, and the F is a completely different animal from the ground up, they share little to no parts between them. The other note is the R and X are unchanged from their introduction in 08 until current (‘20) with the exception of the fuel pump in the early 08/09s that was problematic so it was updated. That’s how good the bike is at its purpose: having fun on and off road while leaning a bit more off road and buy what you can afford, don’t worry about year.

It’s tall. Really tall. I’m 6’3” with a 34” inseam and I struggle to get on it at times. You can get lowering links and shorter seats but unless you are above average height, it’ll be tall. By no means is it a powerhouse, it’s a mild 250, but it will throttle only wheelie if regeared, though it still takes some effort. If all you want is hooligan, kicking dirt, lifting front wheels by twisting the throttle, just bashing around, the 450 is the one to get hands down. I had a street licensed WR450F and it. Was. A. Riot. to ride and have. But it ate rear tires, vibrated on the street to beat hell and not very “friendly” if I wanted to pop down to the store. If I still dirt rode, I’d have kept and redone the 450, it was due for a piston, but I don’t ride off road much anymore and just wanted a play bike so sold it and I got the 250.

The bike I had before the WR450F was a CR250R and the 450 was scarier when it got on the cam because you didn’t feel the kick like the 2 smoke but it would lift the front in any gear by twisting the throttle. I know really nothing about the WR250F except it’s a totally different motor and chassis to the R and X.

I have not regeared my 250 (yet) but as it stands is fun but with a tall first gear can be handful on a trail. It’s also stock exhaust, Trail Wing tires, couple bling parts, etc. and I love having it. Another bike to consider is a DRZ400S, another great bike that’s been around forever. My dad had one that was stock except gearing and my WR450 would eat it for lunch and still have enough left over for dinner, but I hear modded it can be much better. It still was a potent bike.

Hope that helps!!! PM me specific questions

Top Bottom