Nail in Rear Tire

User2

CBR650F
Oct 23, 2018
So I found a nail in the rear tire after riding home from work. It’s leaking air for sure.

It’s a Michelin PR4 and doesn’t have many miles on it, at least 75% of tread depth remaining.

No shop in this area will install a patched tire so it’s toast.

I’ve already ordered a new one and the bike should be back on the road within a week.

Perhaps here it is ok to express “nail in my tire” outrage?

THEY SUCK!

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
So far, no nails in the bike, but...lots of nails in both my GTO and Avalanche. Had a screw in the GTO tire with less than 500 miles on it. I now buy the road hazard warranty from America’s Tire :(

jerzy_bondov

CBR650F ABS
Sep 30, 2018
London
How central is the puncture? When you say no shop will install a patched tire you mean none will plug it for you (from the inside rather than the outside )?

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
In the UK we can get punctures mended. Or buy a kit and do it yourself. But not all manufacturers recommend puncture repairs. Nails suck, they prefer new tyres.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
In the UK, Michelin are the only bike tyre manufacturer that says its OK to plug a punchure.

Most shops here won't touch zr rated tyres either due to safety liability concerns.

Sell the tyre to someone in the UK... I'm sure someone savvy would pay £50 shipped for it, knowing it needs a repair.

Or plug it yourself.

J

User2

CBR650F
Oct 23, 2018
You might what to try some ride-on until your tire comes in.I hear it is very good.

https://www.advdesigns.com/ritiprsybaan.html

I have a car. The nail is just a waste of my money and time.

I tend to be in a better mood (and arrive on time) when I leave the car at home. In a way, the bike is a bit like a time machine.

The traffic in San Francisco Bay Area is basically bumper to bumper lately and the weekends are not much better. :(

User2

CBR650F
Oct 23, 2018
So far, no nails in the bike, but...lots of nails in both my GTO and Avalanche. Had a screw in the GTO tire with less than 500 miles on it. I now buy the road hazard warranty from America’s Tire :(

I have also had a number of nearly new car tires get nails. I’ve also had cases where I had to replace two tires because the set of 4 was worn but still had plenty of life left.

I replaced a month old Bridgestone Potenza RE-760 Sport on my Passat Wagon about a year ago from the last nail incident.

User2

CBR650F
Oct 23, 2018
How central is the puncture? When you say no shop will install a patched tire you mean none will plug it for you (from the inside rather than the outside )?

The nail is about a centimeter to the left of exact center of the tread.

All the shops within an hour’s ride have refused to install a patched tire even if I patch it myself. I don’t have tools to mount and balance motorcycle tires so the shops have me at check mate.

I live at an apartment complex so there are rules against perorming any form of repair in the parking lot.

I ordered the new tire on line. So if the shops refuse to install patched tires because they would rather sell me a new tire ... that marketing failed again in my case.

My dealer will install the tire for the same labor and disposal fee whether I buy the tire from them or not.

Given how litigious America has become, I believe that these shops probability have all been advised not to install a patched tire by their insurance companies and leading industry experts.

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
The nail is about a centimeter to the left of exact center of the tread.

All the shops within an hour’s ride have refused to install a patched tire even if I patch it myself. I don’t have tools to mount and balance motorcycle tires so the shops have me at check mate.

I live at an apartment complex so there are rules against perorming any form of repair in the parking lot.

I ordered the new tire on line. So if the shops refuse to install patched tires because they would rather sell me a new tire ... that marketing failed again in my case.

My dealer will install the tire for the same labor and disposal fee whether I buy the tire from them or not.

Given how litigious America has become, I believe that these shops probability have all been advised not to install a patched tire by their insurance companies and leading industry experts.
You would put a mushroom in from inside out, but you would need tools to do it. There is a kit in the uk that plugs the tyre from the outside without removing it but I do not know whether I would trust it. Whats the rear tyre fitted £135 English pounds ?

User2

CBR650F
Oct 23, 2018
I checked the currency converter and It says I paid 150 pounds for the tire including tax and shipping (vat and lorrie carriage) . The install (fitting) and disposal (tossing off? LOL!) will probably be another 25 pounds.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Lots of guys will patch tires and overseas it’s much more common than in the good ol US of Litigation A so you’ll get lots of people telling you that you should have patched and why. The construction of a motorcycle tire, however, is MUCH different than a car tire and flex’s far more than a car tire does so it’s not as simple an item to do as some make it out to be.

If the abrasion is in the right spot, the item goes in and out cleanly and hadn’t damaged the ply’s I’d say you could patch and be fine. But unless you know the belt is still good it’s a gamble if you ride aggressively.

Personally, there’s too much at stake on two wheels so I bite the bucket and I replace the tire if it gets a puncture. I had a rear blowout on my 90 VFR one night when I was young and dumb at 125mph on a highway and never want to go through that again.

U @Jetflo69 it sucks to get one with so much life in the tire left. I feel for ya.

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
I see the bike seal kit as a temp repair. Alternatively a product like slime which is added through the tyre valve for prevention of punctures and or the repair of a puncture. This product again is personal choice, we have guys using it in the uk. I thought about Slime for my tyres only because its so inconvenient to have a puncture and be left stranded, also it would prevent a slow puncture creeping up on you while riding and possibly saving an off. I don't know if I could trust the slime long term after having a puncture, again I would be constantly checking tyres for punctures, whereas now I go by the pressure more, food for thought.

User2

CBR650F
Oct 23, 2018
Tire arrived today, another new rear pilot road 4. Headed to
dealer for install now.

I hope to have seen the last of nails in my tires for a good long time!

Fletchaa24

CBR650F
Apr 25, 2018
I got part of a wrench stuck in my back tire riding in dc. Left an inch long gash right in the middle....not a good day

Top Bottom