• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Motorcyclist Magazine - 2018 Honda CBR650F

Slickvic

CBR650F
Sep 27, 2017
Brookfield, WI
Riding Since
Youtube review. It’s another commute with Zack from Motorcyclist Magazine.

Do you agree or disagree with any of his observations? Discuss.

Last edited:

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Basic review, He talks too much about other bikes and compares weight to sports bikes. He doesn't
ride that good yet he said he has been riding for 30 years.A complete waste of time watching this
review.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Not everyone likes what eeryone else likes, I don’t take offense at that nor do I feel the need to dismiss his thoughts because he doesn’t particularly like the bike.

He states SEVERAL times in the video that he likes twins, triples, V’s etc. more and that a 4 cylinder isn’t his thing. That is the number 1 item that differentiates this bike from all the other middleweights and makes this bike what it is. I like that, he didn’t. I rode the MT-07 and didn’t like it at all, it REALLY felt cheap and basic, but he’s raving about it because it’s lighter.

The thing that got me positively was the title and what I’ve been saying of this bike from day 1: it’s the perfect cross between a VFR and a 600RR. To me, that is what this bike needs to be sold as, not only a “beginner” bike, but a do-it-all returning rider or experienced rider bike. Something for people who have owned it all and done it all and just want a nice bike to ride that feels and looks sporty without the commitment of a SS and you can take a passenger and some luggage on.

Other than the cost, which he’s right about, MSRP is way too high in this model and needs to be more competitive with the other models, he didn’t find anything to hate. However, who’s paying that much? I bought the first one in our area and was WELL under MSRP then, I’ve seen new ones in the $5K-$6K range, you should be $1K or more at least under MSRP when buying even a 2018 model.

It’s a video, it’s his opinion. I’m good with what I bought.

Last edited:

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Not everyone likes what eeryone else likes, I don’t take offense at that nor do I feel the need to dismiss his thoughts because he doesn’t particularly like the bike.

He states SEVERAL times in the video that he likes twins, triples, V’s etc. more and that a 4 cylinder isn’t his thing. That is the number 1 item that differentiates this bike from all the other middleweights and makes this bike what it is. I like that, he didn’t. I rode the MT-07 and didn’t like it at all, it REALLY felt cheap and basic, but he’s raving about it because it’s lighter.

The thing that got me positively was the titke and what I’ve been saying of this bike from day 1: it’s the perfect cross between a VFR and a 600RR. To me, that is what this bike needs to be sold as, not only a “beginner” bike, but a do-it-all returning rider or experienced rider bike. Something for people who have owned it all and done it all and just want a nice bike to ride that feels and looks sporty without the commitment of a SS and you can take a passenger and some luggage on.

Other than the cost, which he’s right about, MSRP is way too high in this model and needs to be more competitive with the other models, he didn’t find anything to hate. However, who’s paying that much? I bought the first one in our area and was WELL under MSRP then, I’ve seen new ones in the $5K-$6K range, you should be $1K or more at least under MSRP when buying even a 2018 model.

It’s a video, it’s his opinion. I’m good with what I bought.
Stop being sensible and nuanced like this. It's the Internet, get your torch and pitchforks out!

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I read the comments above first before I watched the video, which was probably dumb on my part, but I think it was a fair review. Once you upgrade the rear shocks and front fork kit the bike really tightens up and becomes a different machine. Should Honda have done better at this price point with the suspension, YES, but it is what is is. I (like most other guys here) upgraded to a better windscreen and find the bike to be good at most things, especially when commuting.

I took mine down to LAX earlier this week for a DHS interview and other than being very windy and hot in the valley it was way better than taking my car. Thanks to CA lane filtering, I did the 60 mile trip in about an hour and 15 minutes, which would have been close to 2 1/2 in a car due to 405 traffic. I have just under 5000 miles on it now and very little vibrations anymore. It was pretty bad when i first got it around 4500-5500 RPM, but as others have noted that smoothed out after 3000 miles or so.

I like the sound of the inline 4, and it’s a very versatile bike. When I bought it two years ago I was at the Honda dealer looking at a 2016 CBR500. I bought this 2014 CBR650F for less than they wanted for the 500, and the upgrade from the parallel twin to the I4 and better brakes was a no-brainer.

Overall, I think the review was right on, and there are some great mods available to really address the stuff Honda went cheap on (IPC not withstanding).

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Granted, as a CBR650F owner it's easy to take the review really negatively, but Zack Courts is a pretty level headed and sensible dude, and he is being fair and is pretty upfront about this not being his preferred style of engine/bike. And I definitely agree the MSRP price tag on this bike is a tad on the high side.

Drewster123

CBR650F ABS
Feb 16, 2018
In all fairness that was a really good review for someone what just dosent like that sort of bike he just prfer twins. Bikers tend to either love twins or inline 4 for this type of machine they just isnt no change of opinion for them Yamaha could realise a new 4 cylender mt07 and he would still prfer the twin . But it's good that he can provide good comments and not just bullshit

Drewster123

CBR650F ABS
Feb 16, 2018
And I agree I would rather have more weight than get blown about . Not only that the cbr 650f just looks so much more solid and stable I love the extra weight is positive in my eyes I mt07 are probably just a laugh when your mostly in town

tandi_1984

CB650F ABS
Jun 25, 2018
All reviews are based on comparisons to be fair. If you've only ridden one bike how can you really say whether or not it's good? All bikes have their plusses and minuses. It's about how big a problem each negative is and how important each positive is. I would personally prefer a triple or inline 4 having ridden them all, I love the immediate feeling of power from a triple but also love the top end burst of the 4.

Drewster123

CBR650F ABS
Feb 16, 2018
I checkt my 650f oil the other day and I needed fill it up 3 1/4s of a litre my dip stick woulnt even pick the oil up. It's last sevice was at 600 miles. But I've done 7000 miles in less than 8 months using it everyday getting up to speed . so I'm hoping it's because of that . Highly worrying.

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
I checkt my 650f oil the other day and I needed fill it up 3 1/4s of a litre my dip stick woulnt even pick the oil up. It's last sevice was at 600 miles. But I've done 7000 miles in less than 8 months using it everyday getting up to speed . so I'm hoping it's because of that . Highly worrying.
You are about ready for an oil change. Plus it maybe taking a bit of time to bed in. Maybe it was not at the upper level from the 600 service. I think you will also find it is in spec as regards as acceptable for oil consumption.

Top Bottom