News Motorcycle Showcase added. Add your bike! (and more)

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
United States / Northern KY
Riding Since
Just wanted to pass along an FYI that the core site software and all features were updated last night.
The update broke the style we had applied, and a ticket is open with the designer.

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
Riding Since
Styles corrected & enabled. Let me know if any issues.

FYI - you can now quickly switch between dark/light using the Light Bulb button in the top-left:
Capture.PNG
If you don't see the light-bulb (on mobile) - rotate your device to landscape & it'll show up.

The logo on the "light" style will be corrected ASAP.

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
Riding Since
New Feature: Showcase

Hey folks.

We've added a Showcase to display everyone's rides. You'll see a "Showcase" link in the upper menu (direct link here)

Check it out & add your bike!
Look at others bikes, comment & review them.

Lastly - please give us your feedback. Are the general areas ok? Do the info sections make sense? Etc.... Let us know!

Last edited:

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
Riding Since
New Feature: Push Notifications

In addition, the software update just performed allowed us to enable browser push notifications.

When visiting the site from an Android or Desktop device, you should eventually see something similar to this:

Capture.PNG

Yea, you read right. Android or Desktop. From the software developers directly:

Chris D said:
"But I have an Apple device, will you support push notifications another way...?"

Unfortunately, this is unlikely. Although Apple devices represent a significant number of mobile users, the current approach other browser vendors are taking is standardized (meaning Apple devices could be nearly automatically supported in the future), free and seamlessly integrated with your browser. Any other approach, be that a separate app, or a third party service would, frankly, be a sub-par (and potentially expensive!) experience.

The overall solution is simple, but it is down to Apple/WebKit to take on board and implement...

Last edited:

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
I just got a notification for this post!
Here's a reply to help you test :p

Works perfectly! And if you click the notification banner a new window opens to take you straight to the post. I'd say that's a pass for UAT on that point.

I manage a team of web devs so I know all about UAT 👍.

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
One little styling issue I found. On marking a thread as 'read', when you get the pop up box and the button is on focus, the css is styled as a black background so the text is unreadable:

button on focus.png

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
Riding Since
New Feature: Reactions

Another feature of the update is more variety in "reactions" beyond the standard "like" we had before.

On desktop you can hover-over Like, and on mobile you can tap & hold. This will bring up additional options.

I haven't really messed with them, but we're open to suggestions if anyone has strong feelings about new choices to add.

image.jpg

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
New Feature: Push Notifications

In addition, the software update just performed allowed us to enable browser push notifications.

When visiting the site from an Android or Desktop device, you should eventually see something similar to this:

View attachment 5385

Yea, you read right. Android or Desktop. From the software developers directly:

What in the hell is a "push notification" and why does it want to change my computer??? Not good with that!

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
Riding Since
What in the hell is a "push notification" and why does it want to change my computer??? Not good with that!
Say you have email notifications set up here. Someone messages you, you get the email letting you know you received a message.

A push notification is the same, except instead of an email it's a little message in the corner of your screen.

It's just a different method of telling you something happened.

You can just decline the request & they won't be enabled. Or, if you enable them, you can just turn them off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom