• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs Long engine warm-up on 650R

trippy

CB650R ABS
May 2, 2021
Riding Since
I find the time it takes the bike to get the engine from cold to normal temperature very long. It's always been like this (before oil/coolant change, pair valve removal or remap).
Because long is relative I timed it... 3 times and put the averages below.

Environment:
Outside air temperature was around 27 Celsius.
Bike parked in garage (not exposed to sun).
Engine did not run in last 12 hours.
0w-30 Synthetic oil (~2500 km since change).
OEM coolant (1000 km old).

I consider normal temperature when the RPM stabilizes at the usual idle RPM (~1250 - 1300 RMP).
This is 3 out of 6 on the temperature clock. The usual running temperature is 4 out of 6.

1. start to 1/6 temp on clock - 83 seconds - Bike revs at 1800 RPM constantly
2. 1/6 to 2/6 temp on clock - 53 seconds - Bike slowly drops from 1800RPM to 1500RPM - engine starts sounding a bit better
3. 2/6 to 3/6 temp on clock - 85 seconds - Bike slowly drops from 1500 to 1300 - engine sounds good - bike is a bit snatchy at on/off throttle (way less compared to pair valve removal).
This adds up to almost 4 minutes.
It takes like another 1 to 2 minutes of riding to get bike at 4/6 where is butter smooth.

Do the numbers match the start of your Rs?

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
I start and immediately ride. Maybe 10-12 sec warm up and only because I'm getting my helmet on. In the summer its at full operating temp in less than 60 secs. Idling a motorcycle or any combustion engine to operating temperature is always going to take significantly longer than just using it.

It sounds like you're over thinking this. Just ride normally and let the engine do its thing.

mcphatty

CB650R
Jul 5, 2020
I've had a similar experience with warmups, and in very similar conditions to your own. I found that a quick blip of the throttle after about 30 seconds or so is enough to calm the idle back down and smooths things out. Not sure why, but just an anecdote to add.

trippy

CB650R ABS
May 2, 2021
Riding Since
I've had a similar experience with warmups, and in very similar conditions to your own. I found that a quick blip of the throttle after about 30 seconds or so is enough to calm the idle back down and smooths things out. Not sure why, but just an anecdote to add.
I can confirm is same on my bike.

Don't all internal combustion engines take a few minutes running to warm up ?!
I don't consider it a problem, just very different from other bikes. RPM is higher for a longer period of time.

Dontpush

CB650R ABS
Mar 8, 2020
Riding Since
I actually love this because I pull out of my apartment garage, and while it's warming up, I throw it into 2nd gear and it goes 15mph and I can cruise thru the whole complex and open and pull out the gates without touching the throttle, just modulating the clutch.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I don't consider it a problem, just very different from other bikes. RPM is higher for a longer period of time.
I don’t think it’s excessively long for a modern bike to take that long to drop idle if you don’t touch the the throttle at all. Nowadays their big thing is emissions and bikes are set so lean from the factory I’d assume they wanted to be sure the cat is good and hot as well as be sure the engine is fully warm before running on the “normal” map.

My starting procedure is roll the bike out, start it, put on my helmet, jacket, gloves, and fire up my communicator. By that time the bike is fully hot and ready to ride away. Cuts way down on the long wait time feeling.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I don’t think it’s excessively long for a modern bike to take that long to drop idle if you don’t touch the the throttle at all. Nowadays their big thing is emissions and bikes are set so lean from the factory I’d assume they wanted to be sure the cat is good and hot as well as be sure the engine is fully warm before running on the “normal” map.

My starting procedure is roll the bike out, start it, put on my helmet, jacket, gloves, and fire up my communicator. By that time the bike is fully hot and ready to ride away. Cuts way down on the long wait time feeling.
Just to add some color to this, in order to meet ever-tightening emissions regs, the calibration engineers want the ECM to go into CLOSED LOOP as quickly as possible. That could be 10 seconds or a minute, based entirely on ECT, IAT and the O2 switch time. The cat has to be at least 600F to be fully operational so elevated idle in colder conditions will put more heat in the exhaust faster.

Ride on OP.

saulius

CB650R
Aug 30, 2022
Riding Since
I find the time it takes the bike to get the engine from cold to normal temperature very long. It's always been like this (before oil/coolant change, pair valve removal or remap).
Because long is relative I timed it... 3 times and put the averages below.

Environment:
Outside air temperature was around 27 Celsius.
Bike parked in garage (not exposed to sun).
Engine did not run in last 12 hours.
0w-30 Synthetic oil (~2500 km since change).
OEM coolant (1000 km old).

I consider normal temperature when the RPM stabilizes at the usual idle RPM (~1250 - 1300 RMP).
This is 3 out of 6 on the temperature clock. The usual running temperature is 4 out of 6.

1. start to 1/6 temp on clock - 83 seconds - Bike revs at 1800 RPM constantly
2. 1/6 to 2/6 temp on clock - 53 seconds - Bike slowly drops from 1800RPM to 1500RPM - engine starts sounding a bit better
3. 2/6 to 3/6 temp on clock - 85 seconds - Bike slowly drops from 1500 to 1300 - engine sounds good - bike is a bit snatchy at on/off throttle (way less compared to pair valve removal).
This adds up to almost 4 minutes.
It takes like another 1 to 2 minutes of riding to get bike at 4/6 where is butter smooth.

Do the numbers match the start of your Rs?
my one the same..

Top Bottom