• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Left Hand Switchgear Frustration!

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
This is my 4th Honda and I'll never get over it. Super frustrating. I had a car coming in to my lane about 3 weeks ago and couldn't for the life of me find the horn in the panic. Absolutely terrible design.

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
Maybe it’s just me but I have no trouble at all with the switch design. Maybe because I’m playing the piano since I was 8 years old and I’m flying RC helicopters, so I am very used to always having to make finger and hand adjustments and my brain is used to these adjustments. A few days ago I drove the super duke 1290 and immediately I adjust, a quick look at the switches and feel is enough for me to adjust. Pretty handy 🤪

Last edited:

Charlie

CB650F
Dec 27, 2019
Be grateful the switch currently works, in a couple of years it won't move to the left ! Lol

daLe32

CB650R
Mar 11, 2021
Riding Since
Maybe better if the stock button for traction control should be the button for passing light.. the horn switch also confuse me..

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
I'm used to it now, I still have to think about flashing though instead of turning of my traction control 🙈

I found indicating to the left odd, you have to thumb it with just the right lateral force, if there is any vertically In your thumb pressure it wont go. I was actually going to bring it back to the dealer and tell them it was fecked! But got the hang of it after a couple of weeks and realised i was doing it wrong.

oni

CB650R ABS
Aug 23, 2021
Italia
For me it's even worse cause I'm also riding an x-max 250 for the last eleven year, and still now, with the switch in different and better position so i make even more confusion, every time I wanna use the horne I end pressing the indicators switch

REH71

CBR650F ABS
Jun 9, 2021
Riding Since
Very funny post guys, absolutely agree with most comments. Why change?? Took a little while to get use to the indicators without hitting the horn, now I can't find the horn when needed - where's my horn!!😂 Still like the bike though.

Laurie1854

CBR650F ABS
Mar 7, 2021
Riding Since
Hi All

I've been a member for a little while but life has been such that today is the first time that I've been able to spend any proper time on here since I joined.

I'll apologise in advance of this ends up as a rant but I'd really like to get the thoughts of other owners on something that is frustrating/annoying the hell out of me, namely the positioning of the turn signal and horn controls on the left hand switchgear.

I've been riding different bikes from different manufacturers pretty much every day for over 20-years and every single bike that I've ever owned (or ridden for that matter!) has had the turn signal and horn controls in the same position, i.e. horn at the bottom and turn signal above, except for my latest ride - a 2018 CB650F - which has them reversed!!! WHY???

I'd like to add that prior to getting the CB650F a couple of months ago I haven't had a new-ish bike for quite a while, so I don't know when Honda decided to do what they've done with these controls, but it would be great to know the thinking behind it.

Initially this change was quite a big issue as I kept honking whenever I wanted to make a turn but my muscle memory has now just about mastered the turn signal, however, I'm still having to 'search' for the horn button if ever I have a need to use it!!!

I'm also struggling a bit with the passing light being integrated into the high/low headlight rocker as i'm used to that being on the 'front' side of the switchgear where the index finger would generally be. Again, I find myself having to make unnatural hand movements and 'search' for this control if ever I want to flash someone.

Does anyone else share the same frustration and annoyance at these issues and wonder why the hell Honda have done it, or is it just me because I'm old and too set in my ways?
Thank god, I thought I was the only one having trouble with this setup.
I've mastered the indicators but like you I still have trouble with the horn and light flash switch.

Top Bottom