• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650F Layed my 4 month old 16 CBR 650

wildwestwally

CBR650F
May 24, 2018
Duluth Mn
1FFD85CA-0D99-401B-BD27-7B5E2761A0BF.jpegSo I bought this bike in April as a hold over from 16. The bike had 1 mile on it when I picked it up. Long story short I was carving out some curves at my local hot spot when I hit some soft dirt on the road and bam I was sliding and so was my baby. I’m posting to get some opinions on what the damage might cost. Btw I have a 1000$ deductible with my insurance. I can turn a wrench and have no problem with doin the work myself. Sorry I’m advance for the pics. So all of the damage is on the left side alternator cover, fairings, gas tank. Left handle bar.

Attachments

• 570A3851-C1DC-4302-8C1E-16877CDF546F.jpeg
    570A3851-C1DC-4302-8C1E-16877CDF546F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65
  • BB50221A-C989-4EF3-98CD-C7CD19AD4AD5.jpeg
    BB50221A-C989-4EF3-98CD-C7CD19AD4AD5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • 70464DE4-5D98-46D9-B02E-6EB993E7F657.jpeg
    70464DE4-5D98-46D9-B02E-6EB993E7F657.jpeg
    956.7 KB · Views: 66

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I’d start cleaning stuff up and see what’s broken, baugustine @baugustine linked a good site to start pricing the needed parts out. I like Procaliber.com for my OEM parts as they seem to have the best prices on the OEM stuff, but bikebandit.com can be good as well, especially with their easy to find 10% off codes.

My guess is you’ll be over the $1K but probably not by much. If you need help in down the road a couple hours in the Twin Cities, pm me and let me know any questions you may have.

wildwestwally

CBR650F
May 24, 2018
Duluth Mn
So I brought the bike to the local Honda power sport dealer to get the estimate. Cleaned it up and after further inspection found more damage “of course” extensive damage in front plastics under the windshield and where the gauge cluster meet. And even More dishearten by the fact both rims have large scratches and dings in numerous spots. Thanks for the link baugustine for the link. Been doin some estimates and not including the rims lookin like a little over 1300 parts only. So I’ll see what the dealers gotta say. With there labor cost at 160 an hour!!! Thinkin it may be totaled. 🙁

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
So I brought the bike to the local Honda power sport dealer to get the estimate. Cleaned it up and after further inspection found more damage “of course” extensive damage in front plastics under the windshield and where the gauge cluster meet. And even More dishearten by the fact both rims have large scratches and dings in numerous spots. Thanks for the link baugustine for the link. Been doin some estimates and not including the rims lookin like a little over 1300 parts only. So I’ll see what the dealers gotta say. With there labor cost at 160 an hour!!! Thinkin it may be totaled. 🙁

But, if you get a nice fat insurance check for the whole thing (including labor) and do the work yourself, you can be money ahead.

If the bike is straight and doesn’t leak anything, it’s all bolt on stuff and easy to do.

wildwestwally

CBR650F
May 24, 2018
Duluth Mn
I like the way your thinking miweber929. And as you know our 7 month winter is coming looks like I have my winter project.

Thecult

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
I am not very mechanically inclined.

But I’ve managed to do most of the work on my bike by myself. They are much simpler than cars to work on

As long as engine is working you should be able to get really cheap fairings on eBay/Ali. Then if you wanna go cheaper uses a wrap or plastidip.

We did it for a friends ninja that had been laid down. We wrapped the parts where he would be touching and plastidipped the rest. Looked pretty good.

We did it again on his R6 he laid down recently and did a full gold wrap. Total cost was a few hundred and he has people taking pictures of it everywhere we go.

Rims can be repainted easy as well. Especially if you go plastidip route.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
WOW,Honda charges $160 usd per hour for labor?This is not right,try some where else.Also send some pictures
after you have cleaned the mud off.Your rear tire looks low on thread but that might be the muddy picture. In
thailand my honda dealer only charges me for the parts,unless there is a lot of work to be done,then he will
charge me $10 extra for labor.And i get a 20% discount off list price on parts.

Last edited:

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
WOW,Honda charges $160 usd per hour for labor?This is not right,try some where else.

In thailand my honda dealer only charges me for the parts,unless there is a lot of work to be done,then he will
charge me $10 extra for labor.And i get a 20% discount off list price on parts.

In the US, and in most countries, the dealer is not Honda, nor a representative of Honda and can charge whatever the dealership, area and work load can support. OP is in Duluth, MN, there are maybe 1 or 2 Honda dealers in a 100 mile radius and therefor they can charge whatever their population will support. Most dealer will match, or at least come lose to online prices for parts if you ask and have enough of a relationship with them, though done won’t. Again, it’s what the market supports and there is not as much of a profit margin of things as we think there is.

My guess is, however, the $160/hr is an “insurance repair rate” and if I walked in and was paying cash for work it’ll be closer to $100/hr. Here in the largest metro area of Minnesota there are maybe 4 or 5 Honda dealers in a 50 mile radius and I’ve seen $80-$140/hr depending on the shop. A smaller, mom and pop repair only shop is $60-100/hr.

send some pictures
after you have cleaned the mud off.Your rear tire looks low on thread but that might be the muddy picture.

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw the pictures. I’m not saying that caused your crash but with the amount of rain you guys have had, the amount of mud on the bike, and the condition of the tire, you had a few factors stacked against you if the tire was ax worn as it appears.

wildwestwally

CBR650F
May 24, 2018
Duluth Mn
Well to start off yes the bike was new in April. I put 6000 miles on the bike and the rear tire since I’ve owned it here in northern MN we drive it while we have it. I remove the p***y c stripes ASAP. And yes miweber929 in my crash the previous nights rains may have had a small impact on my crash. You seem to be a man familiar with the area Duluth the area this was Jay Cooke state park. The very best 8 mile stretch of twists in this area except the twists on #1 to Ely. Sorry for the Minnesota bs in my post. But we ride em while the suns up here fellas. My ignorance aside and my apologies for that. The Honda dealer here is a raper of wallets. Big sign on the front door 160 an hour for LABOR these guys have all power sports locked down in this area best service and product in the area. In saying this I was looking for the best way to move forward while licking some physical and financial wounds. In saying that my best plan of action is to get the highest $ amount in an estimate and fix my self created mess with a self rebuild. But sadly you fellas are pretty on the mark with your dollar amount on the replacement parts. I really don’t want to eat this 1000 deductible but looks like the final option. Final words front tire grabbed loose dirt and pebbles from the nights previous rains my age and knowledge of the road made me peel speed before the curve. Rear tire meh?

Top Bottom