• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs Intake “mod”

ECHELONWARRIOR

CB650R ABS
Aug 22, 2020
orlando, fl
Riding Since
Figured I’d tell you guys about a nice way to get more air into your intake for free.
behind the mesh on the intake panels there is a flat plate that blocks the air flow but still lets air in. I took them off and dremeled them out to make the air flow straight through and less restrictions.

Attachments

• 2A2AEB11-AD2E-4EEB-80EE-797ECD5FCB16.jpeg
    2A2AEB11-AD2E-4EEB-80EE-797ECD5FCB16.jpeg
    687.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 3353F75F-F1F8-45EC-A425-893E335D3051.jpeg
    3353F75F-F1F8-45EC-A425-893E335D3051.jpeg
    810.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 6C148AB0-BD33-4885-AA3A-D9D4273C3825.jpeg
    6C148AB0-BD33-4885-AA3A-D9D4273C3825.jpeg
    672.6 KB · Views: 97

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I’m pretty sure the plates are there to keep you from directly sucking water in during a rain ride and also to create a Venturi effect for the air intake. I would say they would also keep large debris from being sucked into the intake.

I‘m not 100% it will make much of a difference in running but they are not simply there to block airflow, that would be a stupid design.

I‘d say proceed with this at your own risk.

ECHELONWARRIOR

CB650R ABS
Aug 22, 2020
orlando, fl
Riding Since
not really worried about the water as i dont ride in the rain and yes i know it stops large debris from getting in but at the same time you have a good air filter for a reason. figure its worth a shot. more air more power.

mcphatty

CB650R
Jul 5, 2020
More air does not equal more power. Your bike is programmed from the factory to accept things as they are in stock form. If you add more air, you'd likely need a tune and to adjust the fuel flow to compensate. Otherwise, you're just running lean.

And to add to miweber's comment, having the airflow disrupted by that plate may actually be by design. Stick your head in front of a leaf blower and try to breathe in with your mouth. You'll find that it's pretty difficult to catch your breath despite the rush of fresh air blasting towards your face. There's just too much airflow at once and that actually creates a pocket that pushes air away. Our air intakes probably operate similarly, and that plate could be disrupting the airflow so that it can actually breathe it in, rather than having the air pushed away by a high pressure pocket.

Last edited:

ECHELONWARRIOR

CB650R ABS
Aug 22, 2020
orlando, fl
Riding Since
More air does not equal more power. Your bike is programmed from the factory to accept things as they are in stock form. If you add more air, you'd likely need a tune and to adjust the fuel flow to compensate. Otherwise, you're just running lean.

And to add to miweber's comment, having the airflow disrupted by that plate may actually be by design. Stick your head in front of a leaf blower and try to breathe in with your mouth. You'll find that it's pretty difficult to catch your breath despite the rush of fresh air blasting towards your face. There's just too much airflow at once and that actually creates a pocket that pushes air away. Our air intakes probably operate similarly, and that plate could be disrupting the airflow so that it can actually breathe it in, rather than having the air pushed away by a high pressure pocket.
to be clear i did this "mod" while on the dyno so the pcm/ecu is getting remapped to accept the extra air. i should have noted that in the first post.

Vilkas

CBR650R ABS
Jun 14, 2021
Ireland
Riding Since

I refuse to believe that in 2021 bike's do not adjust the AFR on the go, accoreding to the factory setting. 😅

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
They do, but the 650 series use the less complicated (read: cheaper) MAP method, rather than a MAF based one which is more accurate.

So if you can mess with airbox pressure in such a way that air flow is somehow impeded, it will impact the fuelling as the ECU's maths will be wrong.

I'm not saying the above post is correct, just that it's theoretically possible on a MAP-based FI system. A MAF sensor based system gets rid of all the guesswork.

J

baloo2650

CB650F ABS
May 14, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Riding Since
I’m pretty sure the plates are there to keep you from directly sucking water in during a rain ride and also to create a Venturi effect for the air intake. I would say they would also keep large debris from being sucked into the intake.

I‘m not 100% it will make much of a difference in running but they are not simply there to block airflow, that would be a stupid design.

I‘d say proceed with this at your own risk.
-and if you are like me who rides in a bug infested summer... Do what you think best...

baloo2650

CB650F ABS
May 14, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Riding Since
E @ECHELONWARRIOR - Have you ever been out for a ride where the insects are coming in fast and thick? -I'll also ask you if you've ever been out in the rain... Don't mess with the air intakes on your bike for what you "think" will be a performance gain... Stay safe and ride on bro...

baloo2650

CB650F ABS
May 14, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Riding Since
to be clear i did this "mod" while on the dyno so the pcm/ecu is getting remapped to accept the extra air. i should have noted that in the first post.
Good stuff for playing around on a "dyno" -remember that what you are messing with depends on the airflow around the bike out in the real world... -Have youtaken that into account whilst doing your "tuning"?

ECHELONWARRIOR

CB650R ABS
Aug 22, 2020
orlando, fl
Riding Since
No I don’t ride in rain or bug infested anything also there’s still an air filter there so not worried about it in the slightest just means I may have to clean it a bit more and yes I took this into effect while tuning because i did it before tuning then tuned with this already done.

Remlap

CB650F
Apr 19, 2022
Riding Since
FWIW, I had to look at what is the topic here, and on the 2018, just inboard of the area being discussed are three small louvered openings, both sides.
Honda engineers are an anal lot. I’m a former owner of a 03, S2000, F20C. Mugen, highly regarded, was not able to improve on the stock intake function or to improve exhaust gas flow in stock trim and still pass emission. Stage 1-3 racing modifications is a different story altogether.
I have other thoughts as well in the area of volumetric testing and air box design, and wether introducing air to the general area what if any the benefit would be.

Remlap

CB650F
Apr 19, 2022
Riding Since
The louvered vents….

Attachments

• C0AB7DEF-3F6A-4FD3-9DBF-E887D8CADC0A.jpeg
    C0AB7DEF-3F6A-4FD3-9DBF-E887D8CADC0A.jpeg
    687.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 3987D764-B5EE-4E70-B939-A9BDDBEBD215.jpeg
    3987D764-B5EE-4E70-B939-A9BDDBEBD215.jpeg
    727.2 KB · Views: 27