• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650F How to remove baffle/db-killer Akrapovic?

Jorgenape

CB650F ABS
Jul 11, 2019
Start there first. I imagine they're going to tell you the baffles should stay. If so, I'm willing to bet most that go this route will have drilled them out. But I could be wrong!
Yeah, I find alot of videos for removing the db-killer from acrapovics other exhaust models for this bike (ie: ) But none for my specific exhaust :(
Hope the manufacturer has some good answers for me haha

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Have you tried that method in the video? Another look at your model and it appears to be more angled. Are those rivets or screws around the muffler?

Jorgenape

CB650F ABS
Jul 11, 2019
Have you tried that method in the video? Another look at your model and it appears to be more angled. Are those rivets or screws around the muffler?
I Have not tried what they do in the video as I have found no hidden screws anywhere that could be holding onto the baffle.. and those are rivets. Only screws on the muffler are the screws holding the carbon heat shield. Also I tried removing the carbon heat shield to find any hidden screws for the baffle, but there were none :(

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Unless someone else on the forum knows of a trick I'm...baffled! :p Not sure if the baffles are curved and, if so, I think they're there to stay. Unless the company says different you may be stuck with what you have. Then again, there's always a way to modify anything albeit not an easy job.
Good luck with whatever it is you do!

Jorgenape

CB650F ABS
Jul 11, 2019
Unless someone else on the forum knows of a trick I'm...baffled! :p Not sure if the baffles are curved and, if so, I think they're there to stay. Unless the company says different you may be stuck with what you have. Then again, there's always a way to modify anything albeit not an easy job.
Good luck with whatever it is you do!

Yeah, thanks! I might just leave it be, since I guess it will be hard to put back in again if I actually remove it.

Dottyzebra

CB650R
Aug 24, 2019
Hi jorgen i have the exact same exhaust on my bike! To remove the db killer take of the end can and then remove the carben fibre piece there will be a slight imperfection somewhere on end piece of exhaust and also on the inside opposite! you can see when looking inside a spot weld. You need to drill out the spot weld using a 10 mm drill bit then spray some Wd40 around edge of db killer and lastly knock out db killer from inside using a long wooden pole or something similar while a friend holds on to exhaust

Dottyzebra

CB650R
Aug 24, 2019
Hi jorgen i have the exact same exhaust on my bike! To remove the db killer take of the end can and then remove the carben fibre piece there will be a slight imperfection somewhere on end piece of exhaust and also on the inside opposite! you can see when looking inside a spot weld. You need to drill out the spot weld using a 10 mm drill bit then spray some Wd40 around edge of db killer and lastly knock out db killer from inside using a long wooden pole or something similar while a friend holds on to exhaust

Attachments

• 20190902_151624.jpg
    20190902_151624.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 164

deadpedal

CB650R
Aug 27, 2019
^^^ This!
Thank you D @Dottyzebra! I also have this exact exhaust and this helped a ton. It's just as you said on the spot weld. The toughest part was the wooden pole thing. It nudged the db killer out about a centimeter as I bashed it in there, but then it got stuck inside. I broke the pole off where it entered the exhaust trying to pull it back out lol. Ended up having to pull the baffle from the front with vice grips wrapped in a rubber glove. After that the remaining stuck piece of wood fell out. So... I'd recommend for some, try to loosen the baffle with a pole, then pull it out from front rather than beating the pole into oblivion. I'd have never gotten through this without this post man. Props!

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
Yeah, thanks! I might just leave it be, since I guess it will be hard to put back in again if I actually remove it.
took me three attacks to get it done. Listen carefully!
- Buy Titanium drill bits (Gold) - All 2017+ Akras are spot welded
- Remove the exhaust can
- wear safety glasses
- Hold it between your legs on a soft and grippy surface (Yoga Matt)
- Pick a bit one size smaller than the bolt and drill few mm to make space for the bigger drill - In your case, there is a mark (a sanded off weld mark) underneath the carbon cover. you have to drill the shield to access the bolt (10mm drill). Same procedure from here.
- Drill the bolt out counter clockwise - it will fall out from the other side.
- Fun part begins! taking the shit out!
- Have a hammer and a metal straw ready
- spray some WD-40 around it and wait for 3 minutes
- insert the pole/straw 45 degrees into the hole you have made and start tapping gently. it will loosen the muffler.
- Get a Tongue pliers and a pair of dish washing gloves (for traction!)
- wrap it around the pliers and bite the db killer
- pull it out like you are extracting a tooth! turn and twist but gently- you may damage the muffler tip.it's buttery soft
- take it out - clean every thing up - put the can back - yell out loud and jump!
- Have a beer and turn it on....
- Congrats!

Last edited:

beneweis

CBR650R ABS
May 14, 2019
Congratulations, you now have an obnoxiously loud motorcycle!

JK, if you like it, go for it. However, I do understand why people that live on roads that are popular with bikers get super annoyed but these loud pipes.

deadpedal

CB650R
Aug 27, 2019
Nothing like the sound of a 4 cylinder Honda paired with a proper full system. Maybe not everyone knows that the Akra with the Db-killer in is same sound level as stock. When I brought my bike in to my local Honda dealership for routine maintenance they were excited about my exhaust. Upon returning the bike to me they said "We fired it up in the shop, of course. You'll be wanting to remove that baffle. It's pretty underwhelming." If your dealer is telling you that... well that says something. Not to mention, with a power commander there are substantial performance gains to be had.

Last edited:

reaperfriend

CB650R ABS
Aug 31, 2018
Viet Nam
took me three attacks to get it done. Listen carefully!
- Buy Titanium drill bits (Gold) - All 2017+ Akras are spot welded
- Remove the exhaust can
- wear safety glasses
- Hold it between your legs on a soft and grippy surface (Yoga Matt)
- Pick a bit one size smaller than the bolt and drill few mm to make space for the bigger drill - In your case, there is a mark (a sanded off weld mark) underneath the carbon cover. you have to drill the shield to access the bolt (10mm drill). Same procedure from here.
- Drill the bolt out counter clockwise - it will fall out from the other side.
- Fun part begins! taking the shit out!
- Have a hammer and a metal straw ready
- spray some WD-40 around it and wait for 3 minutes
- insert the pole/straw 45 degrees into the hole you have made and start tapping gently. it will loosen the muffler.
- Get a Tongue pliers and a pair of dish washing gloves (for traction!)
- wrap it around the pliers and bite the db killer
- pull it out like you are extracting a tooth! turn and twist but gently- you may damage the muffler tip.it's buttery soft
- take it out - clean every thing up - put the can back - yell out loud and jump!
- Have a beer and turn it on....
- Congrats!
will this work with the new model ? I am a noob and there is no video for this model S-H6R14-HEGEHT

Top Bottom