• Welcome - be sure to add your motorcycle to the Showcase!

HI! (^_^)/, from Los Angeles.

Hello, I'm Solid T D age 33. I've been riding as long as I can remember(and more so, apparently).
My first born was a 2005 cbr600rr. I must have decided an off-ramp was a good place to take her for a dirt bath; however, the location wasn't as appealing to her. After 9 broken bones and 3 months of sitting in traffic, I found my third born: brand new, all black cbr650FA. The day I picked her up,(I fell in love, again, and) I joined the old forum. Mostly to info check and lurk. Happy to see this forum is active.

I love Leela... but my one concern is her transmission is cantankerous, versus the RR's. I've been thinking of swapping a RR's tranny with hers, but I don't know where I can find if it would even be possible.
Might anyone have any insight to share?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Different motors all together, different transmissions as well. Not saying it’s not possible but it wouldn’t be a direct swap.

I’d give it some time to break in before looking into swaps. My ‘11 600RR had the smoothest, most positive shifting transmission I’ve ever had on a motorcycle and it seems that others feel the same way. The 650F is not nearly as buttery smooth but after everything wears together it is a positive, smooth shifting transmission.

Welcome!!!!

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
Welcome,

I will also highlight the normal chain tension and clutch leaver adjustment requirements to optimise gearbox operation. It
s just what we do here. help people get comfortable.

Different motors all together, different transmissions as well. Not saying it’s not possible but it wouldn’t be a direct swap.

I’d give it some time to break in before looking into swaps. My ‘11 600RR had the smoothest, most positive shifting transmission I’ve ever had on a motorcycle and it seems that others feel the same way. The 650F is not nearly as buttery smooth but after everything wears together it is a positive, smooth shifting transmission.

Welcome!!!!

My 05rr was my first bike, and I wish I could have put her tranny into Leela. T_T

Welcome,

I will also highlight the normal chain tension and clutch leaver adjustment requirements to optimise gearbox operation. It
s just what we do here. help people get comfortable.

Thanks for redirecting me to the site, Duncan!
When I picked up my F, I was a motorcycle courier:
She's currently at 18k. I've already swapped her chain,(on my third rear and 2nd front tire) and various other mods. I've re-positioned the gearshift, one notch lower, for better up shift feel
... She's been broken in.
I reeealy want the smooth shifts I had from my RR. I'm just not finding much as far as specs to see if would even be a possibility.

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
Nice to have a bit more of your background.
A friend was a bike courier for a year or 2, bit of a dream of any keen motorcyclist. the control skills he had were admirable.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
In addition, adjust the gear lever position. This helps gear changes massively on the 650.

We have a sticky guide on here if you need it.

Welcome aboard... Looks like team USA is gaining a few members at last!

J

Last edited:

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Op, as Duncan @Duncan mentioned, this bike, more than any I’ve ever ridden and owned, is VERY picky about lever position, clutch adjustment and chain tension and unfortunately is a PITA when it comes to adjusting the chain to the “proper” slack. There is a very thick rubber damper under the swing arm that makes it tougher to find the right adjustment position so it’s not as simple as most bikes are. I set mine just a tick looser than I feel like it should be and it seems to shift much better and feel more positive so maybe try some different chain adjustments and see if that helps.

The RR series transmission, much like the CR and CRF transmissions, are designed for heavy use and lots of clutchless upshifts and just have a feel I know very well that you are describing. This bike just doesn’t have that, though spend some time with an air cooled Triumph twin or their 1050 triple (see my signature) then ride your 650 and you’ll see how smooth it actually is!!!

I’d play with the things we suggested and just learn to deal with it as is or you’ll go crazy trying to replicate that RR feel this bike will never have.

fofoz6

CB650F ABS
Jul 12, 2018
Op, as Duncan @Duncan mentioned, this bike, more than any I’ve ever ridden and owned, is VERY picky about lever position, clutch adjustment and chain tension and unfortunately is a PITA when it comes to adjusting the chain to the “proper” slack. There is a very thick rubber damper under the swing arm that makes it tougher to find the right adjustment position so it’s not as simple as most bikes are. I set mine just a tick looser than I feel like it should be and it seems to shift much better and feel more positive so maybe try some different chain adjustments and see if that helps.

The RR series transmission, much like the CR and CRF transmissions, are designed for heavy use and lots of clutchless upshifts and just have a feel I know very well that you are describing. This bike just doesn’t have that, though spend some time with an air cooled Triumph twin or their 1050 triple (see my signature) then ride your 650 and you’ll see how smooth it actually is!!!

I’d play with the things we suggested and just learn to deal with it as is or you’ll go crazy trying to replicate that RR feel this bike will never have.

In my '17 CB650FA I've noticed that after the chain adjustment (20mm slack) done by the dealer, the 1st gear engagement is more difficult when engine is warming up... I would try to loose a little bit the chain. Thanks for your advises.

Welcome! But.... what about your second born?

Some have fur babies, other people make mini humans. I find I'm most comfortable with mechanical babies.
My second, "S"arah, is a 2008 Toyota Yaris S hatchback- in Meteorite Metallic. I've already had to rebuild her rear suspension, but luckily I was spending that year at an automotive occupational school(So labor was free, with all the others that wanted to help :blackeye:).

The first two oil changes of the year I was noticing more metal flakes, than what I'm comfortable with. So, with this oil cycle, I'm making it a point to always use my clutch when shifting.
I just picked up a "Chain Slack Guide" with some new(much needed) Pit-Bull stands. So, I'll keep tinkering.
I'm no longer working full-time, with that company, since they told me I needed to use my car and wait in traffic(like a peon). So, Leela has been regulated to recreational duties. Before that happened, I did lower the clutch lever(one notch) and found it easier to find the gear I was looking for.
Think, I'll go to Postmates. I have three milk-crates I've been wanting to turn into a carrier.:D

Top Bottom