• Welcome - be sure to add your motorcycle to the Showcase!

CBR650F Hello All! I need your advice, please

Alpha Ro

CB650F ABS
Dec 27, 2021
Romania
Riding Since
Hello All,
I"m new on this forum, and also new on this moto world.
I have a Z750 from 2011, and It's to powerfull and to heavy for me ( 175 cm and around 80 kg), this are the main reason why I'm looking for a CB650F or CBR650F ( both ABS version 2017/2018).
After many seach on Google I was not able to compare/found the Steering Angle/Radius Turning on those CB/CBR.
From your experince, is a difference between them? CBR is looking very nice, and this is the reason why I'm asking for advice. Is so different than a naked bike?
Thank you and wait your replyes.

victorkkq

CBR650F
Oct 30, 2018
Hello All,
I have a Z750 from 2011, and It's to powerfull and to heavy for me ( 175 cm and around 80 kg), this are the main reason why I'm looking for a CB650F or CBR650F ( both ABS version 2017/2018).
After many seach on Google I was not able to compare/found the Steering Angle/Radius Turning on those CB/CBR.
From your experince, is a difference between them? CBR is looking very nice, and this is the reason why I'm asking for advice. Is so different than a naked bike?

Hi A Alpha Ro,
NothingToProve has mentioned turning radius in his video.

trippy

CB650R ABS
May 2, 2021
Riding Since
Hello All,
100hp too powerful and 230 kg too heavy indicate a lack of skill, confidence or both. I suggest you consider improving those before changing the bike.
The differences between the z750 and cb650 are too small in both weight(15 kg) and power(15 hp) to make a real difference.

A bike with clip-ons(CBR) is harder to steer than one with handlebars (cb, z).

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
At your weight and height (both taller and heavier than me) you should not be having issues in the 650/750cc class.

I would suggest as others have said that some additional training or experience will benefit you more than a change of bike. It will probably cost less as well.

If course this is a wild guess based on little information and not knowing you at all.

Perhaps you could explain why you think the bike is too powerful and too heavy for you... We might then be able to advise a little better.

J

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
OP is probably struggling with his first bike. If the seat is a bit too high, the weight feels a bit much, and the bike is a bit torquey, it's hard to build confidence. Not sure the Honda 650 platform is enough of a "step down" into learner territory.

Alpha Ro

CB650F ABS
Dec 27, 2021
Romania
Riding Since
Hello All,
First of all thank you for your answers.
Yes is my first Bike. I drop it 3 times ( I was stopped), neved fall during the rides. For example if you are stopped and try to turn you feel the wight of the bike and is only a metter of time to drop it (my case). For me it's feeling heavy.
Also I have issue with the hight of the bike, is a litlle fat/wide and I'm not able to put the feets on the ground totally.
For example during the courses/driving license I nevel fall down even with the passanger in the back ( aprox 85 kg), but the bike was ER6N and CB600 -2005
I want to change it because don;t have ABS and in this momment I'm not so confident in my bike after 3 times falling down.
Plus of that I really like the CBR650F - is looking so nice.....

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
I cannot flatfoot my Speed Triple 1200. But this video shows how to do to the obvious, just shift a little to one side and get one foot entirely on the ground. Not as nice as flatfooting a bike on both sides, but there's something about riding a tall bike that is nice ... so it's a trade-off. But I understand it can be too much for a new rider to absorb all at once. I'm not nearly as short as the lady in the following video, but it's the same technique, I move to the left a little, left foot on ground, right foot stays on peg and/or rear brake. Sometimes I mess up and the bike tilts right, so I have to put the right foot down first, so practice both sides. Can't fault you for wanting ABS!

Last edited:

Jluu

CB650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
Hello All,
First of all thank you for your answers.
Yes is my first Bike. I drop it 3 times ( I was stopped), neved fall during the rides. For example if you are stopped and try to turn you feel the wight of the bike and is only a metter of time to drop it (my case). For me it's feeling heavy.
Also I have issue with the hight of the bike, is a litlle fat/wide and I'm not able to put the feets on the ground totally.
For example during the courses/driving license I nevel fall down even with the passanger in the back ( aprox 85 kg), but the bike was ER6N and CB600 -2005
I want to change it because don;t have ABS and in this momment I'm not so confident in my bike after 3 times falling down.
Plus of that I really like the CBR650F - is looking so nice.....
Are you holding onto the brake lever while you're turning the bars at a standstill? That is the main reason many riders are dropping their bikes while stopping or parking. Don't grab and hold onto the front brake. You start to panic and grab the brake, the bike is now not going to roll forward or backwards to help you balance. Only way it'll go now is on its side.
Take some lessons if you haven't already. It's 100% worthwhile to learn theory and how to ride safely.

Alpha Ro

CB650F ABS
Dec 27, 2021
Romania
Riding Since
Hello
Thank you for your answers again.
I read all your advices, and Yes, i have to make some extra practice.
I have another question: is a really difference between CB650F and CBR650 F ? ( like turning/steering, city mode, hill start, power, handling and other what you consider)

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Weight, fairings and riding position are the three that I'd list.

Others are minor technical differences in order to support the above three main points.

Engine and gearbox, breaks and base frame are shared between the cb and cbr.

J

Cc

CB650F
Jul 22, 2021
Riding Since
Hi Alpha I too am 175cm and find the CB650F fine to handle for a shorter rider. The centre of gravity is low, but like any bike weighing @450lbs you need to be careful at a stop. Try to practice moving your bike in a quiet car park. There are some excellent videos on youtube explaining how to move a bike around (motojitsu is a great place to start). If you are not confident with the weight get off and push it around slightly leaned towards you. Always park on a flat surface or pointing uphill. Moving a bike gets better with experience.

jorelplay

CB650R
Jul 13, 2020
I'm 167cm and I planned to lower my CB, until I sat on it in the showroom. It also needed to be approved by TÜV so I decided to give it a try without. I'm glad I didn't have it lowered, as the bike feels great even for my height and the „one foot down” method feels even more stable than flatfooting. It also looks cooler.

Top Bottom