• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Flipping the handlebars?

irsidewinder

CB650R
Dec 23, 2019
Hey everyone,

I was looking at ways to achieve a slightly less upright riding position and was thinking about installing some flat handlebars on my CB while it's mothballed for the winter. Maybe the LSL drag bar, I believe Rizoma has one, too.

On the other hand, I've seen some cafe racer builds that simply flipped the stock bars upside down and was wondering if it might be possible to save some cash (and an annoying visit to TÜV since I'm in Germany) by just flipping the stock bars. Has anyone tried flipping the bars, or tried any of the aftermarket drag bar-style handlebars? I'm a little worried about cable length and tank clearance.

I think I might just have a go at it, I've got quite the itch to mess with the bike :smuggrin:

MrFritz86

CB650R
Sep 28, 2019
Nashville, TN
Hey everyone,

I was looking at ways to achieve a slightly less upright riding position and was thinking about installing some flat handlebars on my CB while it's mothballed for the winter. Maybe the LSL drag bar, I believe Rizoma has one, too.

On the other hand, I've seen some cafe racer builds that simply flipped the stock bars upside down and was wondering if it might be possible to save some cash (and an annoying visit to TÜV since I'm in Germany) by just flipping the stock bars. Has anyone tried flipping the bars, or tried any of the aftermarket drag bar-style handlebars? I'm a little worried about cable length and tank clearance.

I think I might just have a go at it, I've got quite the itch to mess with the bike :smuggrin:

Hi

I've seen a few pics with the Rizoma Drag bar installed and looks neat
Also I've seen a pic of a dude that installed Clip On and the bike looked great (he had kineo wire spoke wheels as well)
Let me see if I can find the pic and post it.

Not sure about flipping the bar, it might be a good fit since that guy used clip on and there might be enough clearance. The bike is the same as the CBR with a different top fork bridge + risers.

MikeR100

CB650R
Feb 4, 2020
Redhill, Surrey, UK
I was also thinking about fitting clip ons. Does anyone know if the CBR650R set fit the CB650R. I have seen them for sale new from asian-motorparts.com at approx. £60 for the pair?...Might be worth a punt!

MrFritz86

CB650R
Sep 28, 2019
Nashville, TN
Hi, this is exactly what I want to do on my CBR650R, Do you more information about those clip-ons? brand size, instruction or video?
Unfortunately I took these pics from Instagram and nothing is specified

But the fork diameter is 48mm and the rise should be at least 2 to 3 inches

I would say that any brand with the specs above should do the work just fine.

irsidewinder

CB650R
Dec 23, 2019
This is the one I was talking about

damn that looks fantastic... I just wish I hadn't looked up the price on those wheels :eek:

I was also thinking about fitting clip ons. Does anyone know if the CBR650R set fit the CB650R. I have seen them for sale new from asian-motorparts.com at approx. £60 for the pair?...Might be worth a punt!
They should fit, given that they clamp to the fork tube which is the same on both bikes. In the image it looks like they're using the original triple clamp as well. Beyond having to shimmy the indicators down an inch or two, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

MrFritz86

CB650R
Sep 28, 2019
Nashville, TN
damn that looks fantastic... I just wish I hadn't looked up the price on those wheels :eek:

They should fit, given that they clamp to the fork tube which is the same on both bikes. In the image it looks like they're using the original triple clamp as well. Beyond having to shimmy the indicators down an inch or two, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.
yeah those wheels are pricey, but they are fantastic

any clip ons should fit with the specs that I mentioned in the prev reply.

Craiger98

CB650R ABS
Dec 24, 2019
Hey everyone,

Curious if you ever did this? I have been looking at the Rizoma drag bar as well... but thought about flipping the stock bar to see if there is clearance there? Would love to know how it worked out if you tried this. Cheers!

irsidewinder

CB650R
Dec 23, 2019
Curious if you ever did this? I have been looking at the Rizoma drag bar as well... but thought about flipping the stock bar to see if there is clearance there? Would love to know how it worked out if you tried this. Cheers!

Sorry, I didn't end up doing it, at least not yet. Kind of got comfortable with the stock bars and forgot about the issue. But given how low the bars would be if you flipped them, I'm thinking I'll probably eventually go for the drag bar instead.

Terence

CB650R ABS
Nov 11, 2019
i have flipped my stock handlebar, there is no issue at all. the cable length is enough and there is enough clearance to the tank.

EuroBadger

CB650R ABS
Feb 18, 2021
Riding Since
Hi, I am considering flipping the stock handlebar. Not just rotate it backward like Terence did, but I want to reverse it left-right so the bar ends up curving downward - opposite to the original position where the bar ends rise above the clamp. And that comes with two questions: 1. Will the bar ends hit the tank or air intake (just like low clip-ons do)? 2. Will I need to drill new holes for the controls?

Jluu

CB650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
Hi, I am considering flipping the stock handlebar. Not just rotate it backward like Terence did, but I want to reverse it left-right so the bar ends up curving downward - opposite to the original position where the bar ends rise above the clamp. And that comes with two questions: 1. Will the bar ends hit the tank or air intake (just like low clip-ons do)? 2. Will I need to drill new holes for the controls?
You should have clearance for the air intake cowls if you flip them.

You'll have to drill new guide holes for the controls. The left hand side only has on hole and the right side has two holes.

People also have modified their controls by grinding the guides down but may result in the controls rotating on you.

EuroBadger

CB650R ABS
Feb 18, 2021
Riding Since
People also have modified their controls by grinding the guides down but may result in the controls rotating on you.
I don't like the sound of it a bit. How do people secure their aftermarket(or flipped) handlebar and controls then?

Top Bottom