Drag racing

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
This happens too often over here,in the short video most of the bikes are cb650's. They even try to race me on
100cc scooters. The small trucks are alot of fun but they peter-out at about 160km. I guess it's all in good fun,
but i am getting sick of it. Do you guys have the same problems where you live?

Last edited:

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
I know drag racing bad,and i know jerry is not a idiot, but my question was, does any one have
the same sort of problems as i do at times with drag racing?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Not really because while I might have people that try to race me, I’m grown up enough to ignore them so it’s nit an issue.

No offense, you asked.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
You might be able to ignore the drag racers but being in the middle of a drag race without drag racing is just as bad,and just
as deadly. I myself have been pushed off the road a few times,when they race they just don't care who gets hurt only winning
matters.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
You might be able to ignore the drag racers but being in the middle of a drag race without drag racing is just as bad,and just
as deadly. I myself have been pushed off the road a few times,when they race they just don't care who gets hurt only winning
matters.
I’m sorry it’s like that where you live and you can’t control the environment around you, must suck, and it’s a reason I’d never live there. I don’t have that issue where I am though when I had my liter sportbikes, other around me would be racing and egging me to go with them and I simply slowed down and let them pass. I control the environment I ride in and if that means getting off the road, speeding past something going on, slowing down to let people by, turning, stopping, whatever it takes to put my environment back in my hands I do. And have.

I’m not trying to be a dick here but it definitly seems like it, so sorry for that. Many riders have this common theme of “I don’t know what’s happening, it was going on around me and I can’t do anything about it” and it’s simply bullshit excuses and lack if experience in handling things. If it’s THAT dangerous that street races happen and you have zero idea what’s going on (your posted video sure shows you did there) and they try to kill you to win a race, you either need to pay closer attention or not ride there.

And if that’s Thailand, yup, not going to go there.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Don't get me wrong thailand is a great place to live. Just over the the last 5 years or so the young kids
have been upgrading their scooters to much larger bikes and they see on the internet so many bikers doing
crazy things on their bikes and they want to do the same. These teenagers have no training on larger bikes
because there are no schools to teach them where i live. So life goes on but the streets are full of danger.

Last edited:

Kingsleh

CBR650F ABS
Apr 11, 2018
Montreal, Canada
Probably not too related.. But tomorrow I'll be going for the first time ever to a drag event. If I don't lose my balls I'll try and do some passes with the CBR :D Any tips welcome of course :)

Kingsleh

CBR650F ABS
Apr 11, 2018
Montreal, Canada
Haha good one :D
Although where I'm going I think it's mostly bike vs bike and car vs car though idk how accurate that is. Was also told bikes get their own waiting line :eek:

Beansie

CB650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Feb 4, 2018
Stockport
The only time I’ve ever took part in drag races was in my last car at organised events on proper drag strips, I built a 300bhp fiesta and stripped it out and I must say it’s an awesome feeling pushing your vehicle to the limits the only problem is it gets addictive because you just want to try and beat your time! C473F59F-D7A0-45B9-805A-2FA718357D7A.jpeg

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Was at the motorcycle store where I bought my bike yesterday evening. They had this special 24h event with all sorts of discounts and stuff to do.
While it's a decent shop, this somehow attracted all the "bro dudes" from the neighborhood. I mean jacked up guys wearing shorts and t-shirts riding supersport bikes with way too loud pipes, somehow unable to ride away without hitting their rev limiter and smoking their rear tire. Pretty much the stereotype of everything that's wrong with motorcycle riders. I lost a bit of faith in humanity there.

Kingsleh

CBR650F ABS
Apr 11, 2018
Montreal, Canada
SO it all went kinda well :D
Stalled the bike at 2 separate launches but still managed to do 16 passes overall. Also managed to make the wheel spin and slide the bike sideways a bit at launch which was epic for a novice like me. For the 1/2mile strip I managed to average about 128.5mph in ~18.5 seconds. Not too bad considering the GTRs were doing 153mph @ ~15 seconds :p
I kept going passed the sensor thing and managed to bring her up to 139mph (224kph) before having to brake to not overshoot the strip and the turn at the end.

Also had the pleasure to race another 650f a few times and the other guy's only mod was a full yoshi exhaust system and the difference it makes... He did ~131mph and in a slightly faster time.
I also not fully noticed how tall my bars were raised by the previous owner when comparing side to side with the other bike.

I need to work on my shifting though and I'll probably need to adjust my gear lever since I managed to miss gear changes a few times. I also need a better windscreen than stock cause the wind at those speeds is horrible.

Last edited:

bobstrax

CB650F ABS
Oct 1, 2017
Lincolnshire
Don't go getting addicted to it now ;)
ps if you do it's probably better done on a bike with upgraded innards....don't want to have a meltdown along the line :(

Top Bottom