• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Dipstick.....Is just me?

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Hi All,

Last week I checked my oil and the plastic dipstick was a nightmare to screw back in without cross threading it.

The bike went in for service today and the technician mentioned the same.

I have looked at it again. No.signs of cross threading but a real pain to get back in straight.

Anyone else had the problem before I buy a new stick?

Cheers

Brian C.

CBR650R ABS
Nov 26, 2021
Northwich
Riding Since
No, its not just you. I am a Dipstick too, at least according to my friends.

Whoops! Just read the thread and yes, mine is very fiddly too, I think it may be the angle its at? seems to take several attempts to get started.

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
Yes its a bit awkward alright compared to my last bike. I think its just the angle its at. You should be able to feel it cross threading on the first twist if you have your orbital entry mis aligned. Just back it out again and try again!

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Thanks all......thought so.....out of 7 bikes only one I had like this......now I know I'm very cautious.

Still think I'm a bit dippy......but that's an age thing 🤣

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Hello.
Mine threads in fine with no resistance! I'm very surprised to learn that this is affecting several people!
Mine is a 2021. Are yours from previous years? If yes maybe there was a change in the part.
If so difficult to thread in, I would try to get a new OEM one. The worse that can happen is to stay the same.

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Mine is a 2017 model. Funny, I have already ordered a new one anyway.....fingers crossed it will be better.

Both threads feel and look perfect, why it's so difficult to start I just don't know 🤔

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
I hate this stupid dipstick and the oil check method:
You need to put the bike on horizontal, while you insert the dipstick without threading it. I found this to make the reading inconsistent and laborious.
I would prefer to have an oil level glass, but cost reduction speaks louder ;-(

Sorry for my ignorance: what are we celebrating today with the "sombrero" on our heads? ;-)

Last edited:

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
I hate this stupid dipstick and the oil check method:
You need to put the bike on horizontal, while you insert the dipstick without threading it. I found this to make the reading inconsistent and laborious.
I would prefer to have an oil level glass, but cost reduction speaks louder ;-(

Sorry for my ignorance: what are we celebrating today with the "sombrero" on our heads? ;-)
Cinco de mayo?

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Just quickly to add to this.....

I ordered and tried a new one.

Despite the original ones thread not appearing to be damaged etc, the new one started and did up so easy.

So for the sake of a little bit of money, it's so worth it.

Part number as per the image below. This was for a 2017 CB650FA.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220511-123550_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220511-123550_Gallery.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 5

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Great thar you found a solution.

Can you share with us if you see any eye noticeable difference in them?
Is there any design difference in the new one, some kind of chamfering, guiding zone, etc, that could explain the easier threading on the new one?
Did you confirm if they have the same length, from the plug seat to the MAX marking on the stick?
I have the suspicious that there might be different lengths along the range.

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Yeap they look identical. No signs of chamfering or anything else to make the thread easier to start. As said I checked the old one again and there is no sign of cross threading etc. Strange. Perhaps on manufacturer, or one of the technicians hasn't started it straight once.

Before fitting I checked the dimensions as I didn't want the new one providing a different level than my bike needed. I know there are threads on here as the newer models may have less oil in the sump.

So it appears a like for like, but the new ones fit so much easier.

Being old school, the glass windows were so much easier to use.

Note, the new ones don't come with a new o ring.......but why doesnt that surprise me!

Last edited:

WiganCBR650F

CBR650F
Sep 26, 2022
Riding Since
I experienced this last time I checked my oil, it felt like it was cross threading, on closer inspection the O ring on the dipstick had migrate down the threads so it was catching when I was trying to screw it back in, I put it back where it should be, and everything was then fine.

Top Bottom