• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Luggage Could use some advise on luggage for CB650R w/ tail tidy

bassplayer925

CB650R ABS
Apr 14, 2020
Riding Since
Recently got a CB650R. The first thing I did was install an Evotech tail tidy. (Pics attached) The second thing I did was plan a camping trip with my buddy only to realize that my luggage choices are somewhat limited on the CB650R and probably even more limited with the given tail tidy. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for luggage options with the installed tail tidy. Would like to be able to run saddlebags but not sure if there is anything on the market that will fit given the taillights' new location under the seat. Maybe you have suggestions for smaller tail lights that would allow for some sort of saddlebag to fit? Wouldnt mind suggestions for tail bags (preferably big ones if I can't run any saddlebags). Thanks for any tips/input.

Attachments

• 20200718_101137.jpg
    20200718_101137.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200718_101151.png
    20200718_101151.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 171
  • pic1.png
    pic1.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 173

danmccormick87

CB650R
May 21, 2020
Riding Since
Go to Rural King or Tractor Supply and get ya a horse saddle bag for the gas tank. When I get home tonight, I'll send pics, but I'm doing a roadtrip next week myself, the wife and I, and we ordered a saddle bag that straps to the back off Amazon and got a horse saddle bag to straddle the tank along with my magnetic tank bag. Are we allowed to post links, if so, I'll share that Amazon one I just ordered. It'll be here Monday.

bassplayer925

CB650R ABS
Apr 14, 2020
Riding Since
Would really appreciate some pics and a link if possible. Sounds like a pretty innovative setup. Thanks a lot for the help

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
United States / Northern KY
Riding Since
I have the CBR650F with both a tail tidy and passenger seat cowl on.

I run Kriega bags. Can't recommend them enough.

They come with universal mounting equipment.

Great thing about Kriega is you can add/remove other Kriega bags as needed (shorter/longer trips, etc). They're designed to fasten together as a unit.

Here's are some shots with a Kriega US50 pack on a recent 3,000 mile trip (cut from group pics at stops). As mentioned above, you can easily remove bags for lighter packing/add for more.

Attachments

• 20200605_191158~2.jpg
    20200605_191158~2.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 286
  • 20200609_160439~2.jpg
    20200609_160439~2.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

danmccormick87

CB650R
May 21, 2020
Riding Since
I just got home, snapped a few pictures of part of the setup. Seat cushion is from a truck stop, a folding cushion by Purple, the magnetic tank bag is a Cortech, and the side bags are horse saddle bags. Also thinking about a fork mount front bag like you see on cruisers20200718_205655.jpg20200718_205710.jpg20200718_205738.jpg20200718_205757.jpg.

danmccormick87

CB650R
May 21, 2020
Riding Since
Alright, so my package came in today. Not thread stealing, but here it is, along with a cheap and easy way to make pannier bars to keep it from rubbing on the tires. Hopefully this helps you out with your trip, and I'm riding a passenger, so you can use the rear seat as well if needed for more cargo if soloing.

Parts needed: Universal saddlebag (one shown is from link above)
Threaded rod x2
Lock washers x8
Flat washers x8
Nuts x8
PVC pipe (large enough to slide over nut)
Hacksaw

Pretty self explanatory, and parts came local hardware store (Lowe's) for approximately $20, so all in, cost about $110 for a quick on and quick off bag system. 20200719_112505.jpg20200719_155957.jpg20200719_155940.jpg20200719_163046.jpg20200719_163117.jpg20200719_163144.jpg20200719_165057.jpg20200719_165127.jpg

mako

CB650R ABS
Dec 19, 2019
FL

Great thing about Kriega is you can add/remove other Kriega bags as needed (shorter/longer trips, etc). They're designed to fasten together as a unit.

I agree and give them top marks for construction, versatility/utility, and keeping my stuff DRY. I use a US30 along with a couple of 10's in different configs depending on the situation. These, coupled with an R20, cover all my needs for both local and weekend trips.

Sonx

CBR650F
I have the CBR650F with both a tail tidy and passenger seat cowl on.

They come with universal mounting equipment.

Here's are some shots with a Kriega US50 pack on a recent 3,000 mile trip (cut from group pics at stops). As mentioned above, you can easily remove bags for lighter packing/add for more.

I agree and give them top marks for construction, versatility/utility, and keeping my stuff DRY. I use a US30 along with a couple of 10's in different configs depending on the situation. These, coupled with an R20, cover all my needs for both local and weekend trips.

are you able to wear a backpack and have your Kriega mounted? (I am looking to buy a US30 and hoping to pair it with a backpack but I don't know if they will interfere with each other, as in, is there enough space to wear a backpack comfortably + have the 30 mounted on the back?)

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
Riding Since
are you able to wear a backpack and have your Kriega mounted? (I am looking to buy a US30 and hoping to pair it with a backpack but I don't know if they will interfere with each other, as in, is there enough space to wear a backpack comfortably + have the 30 mounted on the back?)
I haven't tried, but I would expect them to get in each other's way. The 30, when packed, puffs out a good amount.

Depending on what your purpose is with the 30 + backpack... Find a way to strap the backpack on the 30. If you run any kind of distance, backpacks increase fatigue quite a bit.

Sonx

CBR650F
I haven't tried, but I would expect them to get in each other's way. The 30, when packed, puffs out a good amount.

Depending on what your purpose is with the 30 + backpack... Find a way to strap the backpack on the 30. If you run any kind of distance, backpacks increase fatigue quite a bit.

ahh got it, thanks! I have the dainese d-throttle backpack (https://www.dainese.com/us/en/motor...BLACK&cgid=motorbike-accessories-bags#start=1) that I really like. my main use case was to keep clothes and whatnot in the 30 and frequently-used personal items (wallet, phone, keys, food, etc) in the backpack for camping/overnight stays.

I think I could strap the backpack to the kreiga though, ill probably order the 30 and give it a shot

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
Riding Since
ahh got it, thanks! I have the dainese d-throttle backpack (https://www.dainese.com/us/en/motor...BLACK&cgid=motorbike-accessories-bags#start=1) that I really like. my main use case was to keep clothes and whatnot in the 30 and frequently-used personal items (wallet, phone, keys, food, etc) in the backpack for camping/overnight stays.

I think I could strap the backpack to the kreiga though, ill probably order the 30 and give it a shot
Yea. My opinion is anything besides commuting type rides & it's best to strap the backpack to the bike. The extra fatigue / etc just isn't worth it.

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
I agree, a back pack creates more driver fatigue as your ride progresses. I get lucky for most of my longer rides of 400-500km with my girl following me with her Civic coupe. Not a huge trunk but much larger than what the CB comfortably carries. When I load up the bike and wear a backpack I’m noticeably more tired at the end.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I know for some reason people think tank bags are old school, and they might be, and instead everyone now uses a backpack, but taking the load off you and your shoulders really helps fatigue and comfort. Even if you drop the backpack to the point of it sitting on the seat, you still have drag on your shoulders and the expensive Dainese jacket you just bought with tons of venting doesn’t flow like it’s supposed to and you get a hot back. I know even when I commute the 30 miles on the Duc and wear my laptop backpack I’m noticeably less comfortable than when I have the Triumph and put it in the top case. Control is even better without a backpack.

Not even going to get into crashing with one, it could be disastrous in a permanent sense depending on what you have in it and how you have it packed. That expensive back protector is useless if your backpack contents go through or deform it.

I’ve always used a (good, there is a difference between cheap and good ones) mid or large sized tank bag for every ride, and if I need more luggage room, saddlebags first then resort to a seat/top case as the load grows. I hate swinging my leg over or around seat bags because I’m fat and lazy and I end up kicking them.

Sonx

CBR650F
I know for some reason people think tank bags are old school, and they might be, and instead everyone now uses a backpack, but taking the load off you and your shoulders really helps fatigue and comfort. Even if you drop the backpack to the point of it sitting on the seat, you still have drag on your shoulders and the expensive Dainese jacket you just bought with tons of venting doesn’t flow like it’s supposed to and you get a hot back. I know even when I commute the 30 miles on the Duc and wear my laptop backpack I’m noticeably less comfortable than when I have the Triumph and put it in the top case. Control is even better without a backpack.

Not even going to get into crashing with one, it could be disastrous in a permanent sense depending on what you have in it and how you have it packed. That expensive back protector is useless if your backpack contents go through or deform it.

I’ve always used a (good, there is a difference between cheap and good ones) mid or large sized tank bag for every ride, and if I need more luggage room, saddlebags first then resort to a seat/top case as the load grows. I hate swinging my leg over or around seat bags because I’m fat and lazy and I end up kicking them.

I pretty much agree with only all of this but just to add, backpacks do have some utility in certain scenarios (as I am sure you know). I live in a major American city and if I am not going for a ride >3 hours outside the city using a backpack makes sense for filling groceries, sitting in restaurants, visiting friends, walking trails, and keeping everyday essentials without the needs of swapping items in/out of different bags as it's just as comfortable off the bike as it is on the bike.

Dontpush

CB650R ABS
Mar 8, 2020
Riding Since
Dang the evotech tail tidy is nice. Probably my favorite kit I've seen so far

Top Bottom