• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Coolant top up

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
The engine coolant on my 2018 cb650f ,still under warranty, is just below the lower mark . I have seem previous comments where some say Castrol 50/50 is fine (not suitable for mag alloy engines though ) and others say coolant must be suitable for mag alloy engines! Would be safest to use Honda HP coolant as specified in owners manual but this seems expensive. Would it affect warranty anyway if another coolant used to top up ( assuming I could obtain a suitable alternative) Any comments appreciated. Don't want to ride over 50 miles to my Honda dealer at the moment.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I stick to Honda fluids...and I video any changes. May not be a big thing but, if I did have the warranty, I could see them saying, "Well, you didn't use the Honda brand so it's not covered.".

Probably a little over-reaching on my part but...

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
shortly after purchase chose to invest $13 for a 32oz bottle of Honda brand coolant for top up purposes. And an extra quart of my chosen Motul oil after the 1st oil change. Prefer to keep the right stuff on hand.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Magnesium is something I associate with premium high performance bikes. Magnesium is generally a more expensive material than aluminium. I'd be surprised to find a trace of magnesium alloys in our bikes. I might be completely wrong about this, though.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
shortly after purchase chose to invest $13 for a 32oz bottle of Honda brand coolant for top up purposes. And an extra quart of my chosen Motul oil after the 1st oil change. Prefer to keep the right stuff on hand.
This is the best answer you’ll get. For $20 you can have a quart Honda coolant and a bottle of Honda brake fluid on the shelf. Buy an additional quart of your chosen oil for $10 and you’re covered for top ups the next 5 years. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
This is the best answer you’ll get. For $20 you can have a quart Honda coolant and a bottle of Honda brake fluid on the shelf. Buy an additional quart of your chosen oil for $10 and you’re covered for top ups the next 5 years. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Except that once you open the bottle of brake fluid it will soon start absorbing moisture and not be suitable for use. Brake fluid should be replaced every 2 years and you arent likely to lose enough to require topping up during that time, unless you ride on track!

OP, if the CB650F does indeed have magnesium alloy in the engine, I recommend using Silkolene Pro Cool MAG - https://www.silkolene.com/motorcycle/cooling-system/mag-cool/

I have used Pro Cool in my bikes for years and had no issues.

Last edited:

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
I'm struggling to find a definitive source that says our engines are mag alloy.

Can you link me please?
it was just something I saw in previous posts on here ,I can't remember which one exactly but I think it was the same one where you said Castrol 50/50 was fine.
p.s. tried to find previous post on here quoting mag alloy engine but can't see it ,sure it was on here somewhere. Anyway ,I am not saying engine is mag alloy, I don't know what it is made from.
Have now noticed an anomaly re when to check coolant level - owner's handbook says when engine cold whereas service manual says check with engine running at normal operating temperature, they can't both be right !!!
Service manual says use silicate free coolant.

Last edited:

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
see section on coolant - gets more confusing !

Attachments

• coolant.pdf
    935 KB · Views: 60

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Given there is no warning about mag alloy coolant, like there is for silicate free... I'd say it isn't a factor.

Agreed that the manuals being different is odd. Based on past experience (and how little the coolant level moves) if it is on at least lower when cold, it'll be fine when warm. It has an overflow if needed.

J

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
it was just something I saw in previous posts on here ,I can't remember which one exactly but I think it was the same one where you said Castrol 50/50 was fine.
p.s. tried to find previous post on here quoting mag alloy engine but can't see it ,sure it was on here somewhere. Anyway ,I am not saying engine is mag alloy, I don't know what it is made from.
Have now noticed an anomaly re when to check coolant level - owner's handbook says when engine cold whereas service manual says check with engine running at normal operating temperature, they can't both be right !!!
Service manual says use silicate free coolant.

Ok, the silicate free bit got my interest so did a quick search. On another forum a poster stated that silicates are used in coolants to scour the walls of the cooling system, keeping them clean. This is not good in a cooling system that has o-rings, which apparently Honda's do (presumably in the water pump), as the silicates damage them. The same poster stated that the Goldwing was prone to coolant leaks because of this.
I had a look at the Silkolene MAG coolant and that doesn't contain silicates, there is even an online seller who markets it as for use in Honda bikes.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Honda dealer use Silkolene premix Procol coolant and he say check level when engine cold and any 50/50 coolant ok if label say suitable for any engine and aluminium. No mag alloy. Nearest Aldi trading post sell Prestone coolant suitable for any engine for £3.90.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Yesterday at 12:42 AM

rustyeyed said:
Word of caution: Coolant needs to be non silicate and compatible with Mag alloy engines.
Is engine Mag alloy ?!
p.s. this was the post I referred to re coolant top up.
pps Above was under topic 'Coolant Change' which is where the mag alloy comment originated (rustyeyed was obviously mistaken )

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
HP COOLANT

Exclusive formula developed by Honda R&D. Specifically designed for use in aluminum engines. Uses high-tech organic corrosion inhibitors instead of more commonly used silicate corrosion inhibitors. Unlike silicates, HP Coolant’s organic corrosion inhibitors won’t gel and cause radiator plugging. They are also more stable for a longer shelf life and don’t act as abrasives to mechanical water-pump seals, which may cause leaky seals.

Note NO mention of mag.....this from Honda's very own website http://prohondaoil.com/maintenance/

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
I think we have ruled out the mag alloy suggestion as explained in my previous comments. Other coolants like Prestone don't have silicates either , are suitable for all engine types and as I said my Honda dealer uses Silkolene anyway so don't know about any other 'special' qualities the Honda HP coolant has.

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
of course safe alternatives exist....not claiming Honda HP special but I WILL submit its undeniably correct for our CB's/CBR's. Can't go wrong. Blowing off its use as expensive? Yokay.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Blowing off its use as expensive? Yokay.[/QUOTE] don't understand that expression, must be an American thing !
p.s. nobody would deny the Honda HP coolant is right for the bike but My Honda dealer doesn't even sell it , they use Siklolene !

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Blowing off its use as expensive? Yokay.
don't understand that expression, must be an American thing !
p.s. nobody would deny the Honda HP coolant is right for the bike but My Honda dealer doesn't even sell it , they use Siklolene ![/QUOTE]

In other words, not using something good just because it's going to cost you a few extra dollars???

Top Bottom