Not Implemented Compatible with Tapatalk?

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
United States / Northern KY
Riding Since
We can add it if there is demand.

My issue with Tapatalk is that this site currently has zero advertisements. If we add Tapatalk, they inject their own adds and get a little more profit off of you / us with zero benefit to our site.

Both our Light and Dark themes are mobile friendly.

What do folks think? What would you like us to do?

motorider

CBR650R ABS
May 6, 2021
Riding Since
This new site going be available on Tapatalk? I did a search and it did not come up. Just the "old" site and a Honda Forum in German.
I just started using Tapatalk and it is really nice to have all of my forums in one app instead of having to go to multiple websites. Can you add 650f.bike to Tapatalk? Regarding ads, the ads are small and if you use an ad blocker they do not display. There are no ads when you access the forums with Tapatalk Pro. Thanks!

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
Riding Since
I just started using Tapatalk and it is really nice to have all of my forums in one app instead of having to go to multiple websites. Can you add 650f.bike to Tapatalk? Regarding ads, the ads are small and if you use an ad blocker they do not display. There are no ads when you access the forums with Tapatalk Pro. Thanks!
I'm still not a fan of Tapatalk, for several reasons:
  • They inject their own adds to our site. We get nothing from these adds. Zero revenue, zero benefit. Tapatalk - and Tapatalk only - makes money from us.
  • Tapatalk Pro removes adds - but I believe it costs money? Per above, we see nothing from this. I've no appetite to give someone else money for our own information & content.
  • Tapatalk can recommend & push other forums along side our own. As above - a direct benefit to Tapatalk with zero benefit to us.

Other considerations:
  • Our site layout & functionality is 100% mobile friendly.
  • We have features that aren't Tapatalk compatible and would break / disappear on Tapatalk: the Showcase, the layout of the Member Marketplace, etc.

I understand the appeal of a singular access point, but to be blunt its simply unappealing to feed another big company money & benefits off the backs of our users while getting absolutely nothing out of it ourselves to improve & grow our site.

motorider

CBR650R ABS
May 6, 2021
Riding Since
I'm still not a fan of Tapatalk, for several reasons:
  • They inject their own adds to our site. We get nothing from these adds. Zero revenue, zero benefit. Tapatalk - and Tapatalk only - makes money from us.
  • Tapatalk Pro removes adds - but I believe it costs money? Per above, we see nothing from this. I've no appetite to give someone else money for our own information & content.
  • Tapatalk can recommend & push other forums along side our own. As above - a direct benefit to Tapatalk with zero benefit to us.

Other considerations:
  • Our site layout & functionality is 100% mobile friendly.
  • We have features that aren't Tapatalk compatible and would break / disappear on Tapatalk: the Showcase, the layout of the Member Marketplace, etc.

I understand the appeal of a singular access point, but to be blunt its simply unappealing to feed another big company money & benefits off the backs of our users while getting absolutely nothing out of it ourselves to improve & grow our site.

I'm sorry but what your saying about Tapatalk may have been true in the past but it's not the case today. Take a look:
https://www.tapatalk.com/tapatalk_groups#migrating

If you are looking at growing the forum, then adding Tapatalk will gain you access to more potential users. Also the Ad revenue is shared between Tapatalk and the forum owners, it is not one sided as you say it is. For $10 a month you can turn off ads all together.

My perspective as someone who is a member of a lot of forums, is that using Tapatalk as a central app on my phone to access all forums is a huge benefit. It makes it way easier for me to participate in forums compared to logging into multiple websites to check for any new threads or updates. The Tapatalk pro app is $10 (one time) to remove all ads, and that is certainly worth it. If you want more people to participate in your forum then hopefully you and the other admins of the site will realize there are more benefits than risks by using Tapatalk.

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
Riding Since
I'm sorry but what your saying about Tapatalk may have been true in the past but it's not the case today. Take a look:
https://www.tapatalk.com/tapatalk_groups#migrating

If you are looking at growing the forum, then adding Tapatalk will gain you access to more potential users. Also the Ad revenue is shared between Tapatalk and the forum owners, it is not one sided as you say it is. For $10 a month you can turn off ads all together.

My perspective as someone who is a member of a lot of forums, is that using Tapatalk as a central app on my phone to access all forums is a huge benefit. It makes it way easier for me to participate in forums compared to logging into multiple websites to check for any new threads or updates. The Tapatalk pro app is $10 (one time) to remove all ads, and that is certainly worth it. If you want more people to participate in your forum then hopefully you and the other admins of the site will realize there are more benefits than risks by using Tapatalk.
I appreciate your input. A few thoughts:

Your link is to "Tapatalk Groups", which is very different.

Tapatalk Groups would migrate the entirety of this site - forum, content, members, everything - away from our own server & control into Tapatalks own private ecosystem. Put another way, it'd no longer be our site. It would be Tapatalk's site.

Tapatalk offers to "share advertisement revenue". Ads suck. Ads are annoying. Ads are damn near everywhere else on the internet (including other motorcycle forums I use but don't help run). If we wanted to, we could place ads on the site today and keep 100% of the revenue. As long as we can afford to run the site out of our own pockets, we plan to. There is zero desire to place ads on the site.

Same with Tapatalk donations. Convert donations to "gold points"? The option to spend "gold points" to remove ads for a limited amount of page views? And only certain "gold points" can be redeemed for actual usable cash by the site owners? Feels like a money grabbing gimmick to me.

The Tapatalk "VIP" membership says the group owner gets "a much higher percentage of revenue". Nice of Tapatalk to share the money our members make for them... With us...??? And the rest of the "VIP" benefits are mostly basic forum functionality locked until you pay for it (and remember, you're paying Tapatalk).

We've made quite a bit of effort to make the site easy to use. Every aspect of the site is fully functional on mobile. Social logins are available so you don't have to remember another password. Software addons have been purchased & installed to offer greater functionality. We welcome and consider all suggestions to make things better for members.

Our helpful members, their generously shared knowledge and overall camaraderie make this club what it is. Years of server hosting costs, software license fees, and countless hours making it work have all been spent because we want to. Probably sounds dramatic, but this really is a picture perfect example of a passion project. To start giving Tapatalk money at this point would feel like scamming our nearly 8,000 members.

I hope this doesn't come across as an over-the-top & sensationalized response, but, I have no interest in Tapatalk. I don't think we need them. If anything, they need us.

Last edited:

motorider

CBR650R ABS
May 6, 2021
Riding Since
I debated responding to you, but I decided to because there are others who will see this public conversation and want to make there own judgement based on facts. Before you make a judgement about Tapatalk, you should try it first. You are hung up on the ads, well there are hardly any ads and most sites on Tapatalk do not have any ads. The forum owner has the ability to control the ads. Take a look at these sites that have Tapatalk enabled and tell me if you see any ads: https://www.zx6r.com/ http://www.damnriders.org/ If you are running an ad blocker in your browser like most people do, you won't see any ads anyway. You do not need to migrate to Tapatalk groups. To add Tapatalk to an existing forum all you need to do is to add the plug-in to the site and fill out a form on Tapatalk's website so that your forum is listed in the forum listings. The benefit to the forum is access to more users and increased participation in the forum because it is easier and quicker for members to post using the Tapatalk app compared to opening a web browser on your phone, logging in, searching for the latest posts, and replying. To use Tapatalk, I just tap on the app and all of the latest posts are right there. All I have to do is tap on the one I want to read or reply to. Give it a try and you will see what I mean, it's far easier and quicker. I have participated in this forum quite a bit lately and I would participate more if it was easier to access.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I debated responding to you, but I decided to because there are others who will see this public conversation and want to make there own judgement based on facts. Before you make a judgement about Tapatalk, you should try it first. You are hung up on the ads, well there are hardly any ads and most sites on Tapatalk do not have any ads. The forum owner has the ability to control the ads. Take a look at these sites that have Tapatalk enabled and tell me if you see any ads: https://www.zx6r.com/ http://www.damnriders.org/ If you are running an ad blocker in your browser like most people do, you won't see any ads anyway. You do not need to migrate to Tapatalk groups. To add Tapatalk to an existing forum all you need to do is to add the plug-in to the site and fill out a form on Tapatalk's website so that your forum is listed in the forum listings. The benefit to the forum is access to more users and increased participation in the forum because it is easier and quicker for members to post using the Tapatalk app compared to opening a web browser on your phone, logging in, searching for the latest posts, and replying. To use Tapatalk, I just tap on the app and all of the latest posts are right there. All I have to do is tap on the one I want to read or reply to. Give it a try and you will see what I mean, it's far easier and quicker. I have participated in this forum quite a bit lately and I would participate more if it was easier to access.
I think it's great you are advocating for Tapatalk, but in the end it's GPJake @GPJake's site and he can run it as he see's fit.

We don't struggle with a lack of participation or a lack of active members and unlike most forums, ours is not on the brink of death. So I personally don't see the benefit, and Tapatalk participants generally are the fly-by and bye-bye kind of guests in my experience so it's not the type of interaction we need. In my opinion. It might be easier to pop in and out, and quicker to check in, but if you want to be here and check in you have a VERY easy way to already do it and will have a good mobile and PC experience by people who want to be here.

Those are my thoughts.

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
im using andriod and I find the expirience great. I have the shortcut on the screen and for all intense an purposes behaves like any other app. I can do anything on the phone I can do in the computer browser.

I can see the point about taptalks UX and general streamining though wich would be a a great beneifit if you are heavily invested in that infrastructure.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
I tried tapatalk on the old 650 forum. This one's native interface is slicker IMHO.

No issues, it's a permanently open tab in chrome on my phone and takes two clicks to see all the latest updates.

If I want info pushed to me there's a wealth of email notification options (most of which I keep turned off as I see little need).

J

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
Riding Since
Before you make a judgement about Tapatalk, you should try it first.
I'm not making judgement on something I haven't tried. I have a good amount of experience with Tapatalk, both as the person installing & maintaining it on several forums and as an end-user.

You are hung up on the ads, well there are hardly any ads and most sites on Tapatalk do not have any ads. The forum owner has the ability to control the ads. Take a look at these sites that have Tapatalk enabled and tell me if you see any ads: https://www.zx6r.com/ http://www.damnriders.org/ If you are running an ad blocker in your browser like most people do, you won't see any ads anyway.
I've grown to accept ads as much as any modern day internet user. However:
  • I could put ads on the site in 5 minutes and keep 100% of the revenue If I wanted to.
  • With the Tapatalk app, it'd cost me $10/month to have any ad control at all (See Pricing section - notice they call it "control" without explaining what "control" means).
  • I don't want to annoy our users to the point of needing an ad blocker to enjoy our site.
I don't want the money, and users don't want the ads. I'm not interested in paying Tapatalk $10/month to have some control over their ads that they keep the majority of revenue from - all while annoying users into installing ad-blockers.

You do not need to migrate to Tapatalk groups. To add Tapatalk to an existing forum all you need to do is to add the plug-in to the site and fill out a form on Tapatalk's website so that your forum is listed in the forum listings.
I know. You posted a link to Tapatalk Groups - so I replied about Tapatalk groups.
I'm aware of the app/plugin & have used it in the past on other sites I run.

The benefit to the forum is access to more users and increased participation in the forum because it is easier and quicker for members to post using the Tapatalk app compared to opening a web browser on your phone, logging in, searching for the latest posts, and replying.
There are some benefits to Tapatalk. But for reasons I've stated - the benefits aren't worth it.

• Many members use and like the Showcase. This is inaccessible on Tapatalk.
  • Many members use and like the Media gallery. Tapatalks user experience here is laughable. I think they give just one endless scroll of every image - no categories, no albums, etc.
  • Many members use and like the Resource section. I can't tell if this is accessible on Tapatalk or not - poor documentation on their part.

On mobile - you can tap the lightning bolt and be right at the "What's new" page feed. Sharing just incase you/others weren't aware:
whatsnew.jpg

To use Tapatalk, I just tap on the app and all of the latest posts are right there. All I have to do is tap on the one I want to read or reply to. Give it a try and you will see what I mean, it's far easier and quicker. I have participated in this forum quite a bit lately and I would participate more if it was easier to access.
I appreciate your input - and I know Tapatalk does some things well. I have used Tapatalk in the past.

As one of many who have directly benefitted from using this site - I know participation is our lifeblood. I've said exactly that many times right here on the site. Please share suggestions about ways we can make the site more user friendly, and we'll accommodate where we can and where it makes sense. At this time, Tapatalk doesn't make sense for us.

Top Bottom