• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs Clutch Differences

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Hi All. I've got a bit of arthritis setting in my hands. Constant clutch operation long term is now a worry.

Just planning ahead. Obviously the new Honda e clutch is very interesting. Don't want to go to a DCT set up.

Can I ask those with the R version of the bikes, 2019 onwards, don't they have a slipper clutch and although it's design is for other reasons, does it make the clutch lever 'lighter' to use

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
Even without a quick shifter, I shift up without the clutch most of the time. Just off the throttle, shift and then back on, obviously a quick shifter does this better but I have no issues. I just use the clutch while stopped and to down shift.
I would also put an aftermarket adjustable clutch lever on that works better for your hand anyway, as the stock one has no adjustment. I don’t think that a slipper clutch really changes how the clutch lever feels but I could be wrong.

Redrocket

CBR650R
Mar 17, 2023
Riding Since
My 2023 has a slipper/assist clutch introduced a few years ago. It is a relatively light clutch, which was one reason why I bought the bike (arthritis). That said it is nowhere near as light as the clutch on my CL500, which feels as if the cable has broken. I have the q/s on my CBR. I tend to use that when my hand begins to be painful, bit I also do clutchless changes. Overall, I can manage with the CBR but it's much easier with the CL500. It's the assist part of the slipper/assist clutch that lightens the clutch action on bikes so equipped; the slipper function is to prevent wheel lock-up on ham fisted down changes.

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Thanks all. I have been to a dealer and tried various ones. The new CB650, without the e clutch does feel much lighter.....obviously the e clutch is a great compromise....no hand clutch but manual gear changes.

CL500 was as you say so light, like the scrambler look as my first bike was XT500. But at this stage not sure I want to drop down to a 500.

Redrocket what do you use the CL for and how have you found it? Cheers

Redrocket

CBR650R
Mar 17, 2023
Riding Since
The e-Clutch model does have a manual clutch. If you want, you can completely ignore it and just use the e-Clutch or you can just use the manual clutch or you can just use the manual clutch when you want, as it overrides the e-Clutch. I suspect most will continue to use the manual clutch to move off in first gear (early reports suggest that the e-Clutch is a bit abrupt) and for fine control doing u-turns etc and use e-Clutch for the rest- it's hard to learn not to use a clutch lever after you've always ridden a manual clutch bike. As e-clutch only costs £100 more than not having it and the q/s is well over £200 it'll be a no brainer not to get the e-Clutch, in my view, though it does look a bit wide and vulnerable.

As for the CL, at my old age I wanted something lighter than the larger, more powerful bikes I've owned over the last 50+ years, something that rides well over our pothole and speed camera infested roads. While the CBR provides all the power I can use, these days the roads are becoming too bad to really press on and the suspension, whilst good for what it is (ie unadjustable apart from preload on the rear) is too hard at my weight for the bumpy roads. Also, the riding position for me is right on the edge of what I can manage without my wrists hurting, especially in town. I need a more sit up and beg riding position now and the CL has this, is light (182kg kerb) and handles really well. It is much more than the sum of its parts, is quirky and I can wring its neck without endangering my licence - a risky prospect at my age. Also, it has light offroad functionality. The fact is it has become my go to bike. I'll probably change my CBR for a more comfortable bike next year. It'll have more poke than the CL but more real-world on road usability (for me, now) than the CBR.
I prefer having more than one bike and to have different sorts. I traded in my Moto-Guzzi V7 850 for the CL. The Guzzi had more poke and looked ace, but it was a load of trouble and I was glad to get rid of it, while it was ok.

A good friend of mine has reached the same conclusion - he rides his 650 Kawasaki much more than his final gen VFR800 because the Kawasaki is just so much easier to move around and ride. I had a Crossrunner - lovely bike with the superb Honda V4 motor but it became too heavy for me and the clutch far too heavy, even though it was hydraulic.

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
The e clutch is a great price.......shame it spoils the traditional shape of the crankcase.....

CL seems interesting.....I'll have to investigate more. Thanks

67ratrag

CB650R ABS
Oct 15, 2021
Riding Since
Can I ask those with the R version of the bikes, 2019 onwards, don't they have a slipper clutch and although it's design is for other reasons, does it make the clutch lever 'lighter' to use
Yes, I have a '19 and the clutch is much lighter, I can be in downtown traffic, stop/start, and doesn't wear out my hand.

Top Bottom