• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Clear coating CB650R Tank

Rhazeil

CB650R
Aug 5, 2019
Canada
Hi guys! I just had a question regarding the tank decal for the CB650R, I already read all the other forum discussions. I am aware that the tank decals are under the tanks clear coat but I still want to remove them. After removing them I intend to replace them with a gold honda symbol. Would I have to re clear coat the entire tank or is it possible for me to just patch the area that I cut out? I will be taking it to a professional but I just wanted some extra knowledge beforehand. Thank you for your help!

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
From YouTube videos I've watched on repainting gas tanks on bikes and adding decals etc, each coat was wet sanded down to eliminate any grooves/layers of the different coats. Then the final clear coats were added to give a uniform finish.

This guy is great to watch and gives you a good idea of the process.

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
a blend of science and art.....I'm not at all qualified to attempt a DIY, would leave the whole process and decisions to the pro.

Rhazeil

CB650R
Aug 5, 2019
Canada
Haha I've already watched videos on how to paint the tank and am familiar with the process. I will most definitely take it to a professional. I was just wondering if it was possible to only patch the clear coat that was being removed rather than redo the whole clear coat.

helman

CBR650F ABS
Oct 2, 2019
Australia
I'd suggest that no matter how good a professional is that just patching two areas of the tank won't look as good as redoing the lot. It would be too difficult to get the patching to blend in.

Rhazeil

CB650R
Aug 5, 2019
Canada
I'd suggest that no matter how good a professional is that just patching two areas of the tank won't look as good as redoing the lot. It would be too difficult to get the patching to blend in.

The exact answer I was looking for, thank you! Now I know what to ask for.

AlexS

CBR650R ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Haha I've already watched videos on how to paint the tank and am familiar with the process. I will most definitely take it to a professional. I was just wondering if it was possible to only patch the clear coat that was being removed rather than redo the whole clear coat.
Hi, were you able to remove the clear-coated decal? looking to do the same to my CBR. Thanks

Rhazeil

CB650R
Aug 5, 2019
Canada
Hi, were you able to remove the clear-coated decal? looking to do the same to my CBR. Thanks

Yeah I was! I will be posting pics in the next few days with all the mods done to my bike. I had to remove the clear coat them carefully scrape the sticker off.

AlexS

CBR650R ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Yeah I was! I will be posting pics in the next few days with all the mods done to my bike. I had to remove the clear coat them carefully scrape the sticker off.
So it can be scraped, no need to sand and repaint?

Patmac

CB650R ABS
Mar 6, 2022
Riding Since
I just did this... If you look very close it doesn't match in actual imprint it leaves after you remove the decals but I'm happy with it...

Attachments

• IMG_5345.jpg
    IMG_5345.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • 67120388245__B25DA5FE-32DA-4411-BC93-1193520BBF33.JPG
    67120388245__B25DA5FE-32DA-4411-BC93-1193520BBF33.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 35

Ian Warren

CBR650R ABS
Mar 12, 2022
United Kingdom
Riding Since
the tank is a small discreet and easily removed part (three bolts and a few small panels on mine which I did to fit a Quickshifter last week) self sealing fuel connectors too.
Wet sanding the whole tank and redo colour and clear coat probably easier than trying to sand an area, repolish the colour to remove scratches, mask patch and blend the clear coat over the old replaced logos!
And bound to give a perfect finish unlike patching.

Was considering de sticker if mine till I realised the logos and tank graphics are all sealed in on the tank and would look odd with the rest removed!
Have repainted entire aircraft in the past but can’t be doing with repainting the tank so will stick with the CBR650R 2021 graphics, apart from the Honda on the Belly pan (removed) as the white cut edges of the vinyl show up against the red rather than blending due to the angle looking down at them showing the edges. It bugged me!
Good luck whatever you do, hope the results justify the work for you!

Top Bottom