• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs CBR650R engine idle speed from cold

Drewster123

CBR650F ABS
Feb 16, 2018
Just let them warm up it's nornal , it's the choke I think, it's a good thing !once it stops high idle that's when you know the oil is nice a warm.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Just let them warm up it's nornal , it's the choke I think, it's a good thing !once it stops high idle that's when you know the oil is nice a warm.

Fuel injected motors do not use a choke. They are either in OPEN LOOP when first started which is a pre-programmed richer mixture or once they go into CLOSED LOOP they use the IAT & ECT to control cold mixture until it hits roughly 150 F.

Drewster123

CBR650F ABS
Feb 16, 2018
Fuel injected motors do not use a choke. They are either in OPEN LOOP when first started which is a pre-programmed richer mixture or once they go into CLOSED LOOP they use the IAT & ECT to control cold mixture until it hits roughly 150 F.
Okay mate cheers well itd a very siamilr thing to choke then as choke richeches mixture to

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Surely a dealer can still adjust it if they feel it is out of spec.

To explain what I was getting at a little better is the ECU sets the number, say 1,200 and that’s a HARD number embedded in the programming and wouldn’t be “set wrong” for a dealer to adjust. So if you are idling higher than you should it’s because some sensors could be out of calibration and reading wrong, not mis-set. But if that was the case the tach would display the correct idle reading but the engine woukd be actually running higher or lower.

Does it make sense what I’m saying?

It wouldn’t make sense for one bike to have their idle be set at 1,200 and another 1,300, that’s just the slop that’s built into the programming and an acceptable idle variance so there’s nothing for the dealer to change. Unless you have an idle screw like the old FI systems have, the bike will idle where it’s told to idle.

I think you way overestimate the 600 mile service because they change the oil, maybe adjust the chain, hook up a scanner for codes and send you on your way. They do not do any advanced calibration or advanced diagnostics, it’s simply in and out, give me the money.

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
To explain what I was getting at a little better is the ECU sets the number, say 1,200 and that’s a HARD number embedded in the programming and wouldn’t be “set wrong” for a dealer to adjust. So if you are idling higher than you should it’s because some sensors could be out of calibration and reading wrong, not mis-set. But if that was the case the tach would display the correct idle reading but the engine woukd be actually running higher or lower.

It wouldn’t make sense for one bike to have their idle be set at 1,200 and another 1,300, that’s just the slop that’s built into the programming and an acceptable idle variance so there’s nothing for the dealer to change. Unless you have an idle screw like the old FI systems have, the bike will idle where it’s told to idle.

I think you way overestimate the 600 mile service because they change the oil, maybe adjust the chain, hook up a scanner for codes and send you on your way. They do not do any advanced calibration or advanced diagnostics, it’s simply in and out, give me the money.

Ah I see, assumed it was some sort of analogue thing that's adjusted in the old fashioned way, as you say with the idle screw.

Only going on what is on the dealer check sheet of the things they look at during the service, of course that is assuming they actually carry out the check and not just tick some box.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Ah I see, assumed it was some sort of analogue thing that's adjusted in the old fashioned way, as you say with the idle screw.

Only going on what is on the dealer check sheet of the things they look at during the service, of course that is assuming they actually carry out the check and not just tick some box.

Most cable operated throttled still have screw, but its not really meant to be messed with. I’ve fixed tens of dozens of vehicles that had idle issues that were not related to the throttle plate and someone “monkeyed” with the screw, thinking they could fix it old school like a carb.

miweber929 @miweber929 is correct above, idle is a preset value in the ECM programming. The ECM uses sensor inputs (IAT, ECT, O2 sensor, MAP, etc) to set desired idle. It’s not a user adjuster (or dealer adjusted) item unless you have tuner software.

Razor650

CB650R ABS
Sep 1, 2019
How many miles has it done? As engine idle speed is something they check at the 600 mile service.
I only have 600k done at the moment. Should have 1000k done by next weekend, then its in for the first service. I will get them to check it out.
Cheers.

Razor650

CB650R ABS
Sep 1, 2019

Thanks for the detailed explanation, it makes perfect scenes (particularly the bit about the dealer service:(). If 13k is normal then I am quite happy with that. Cheers.

Morriss

CBR650R ABS
Jun 27, 2019
West London UK
Razor650 @Razor650 Eaglemoto @Eaglemoto my 650r would idle at 1250-1300. Thats just how they are. Remember that every engine is different (between makes and models) so dont try to compare this to any others. Remember that this is a new engine too and not the same as a previous 650f so it will behave different. 1250-1300 is normal idle speed for this bike especially on warmup (cbr650r 2019 onwards).

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
The 650r engine really is NOT a new engine. The actual block is barely even a revision of the 650f engine.

They've tweaked air intakes, gearing and fuelling, but the base mechanics are almost identical.

I can tell this by the number of pages in the 650r service manual that they copied from the 650f one :D

J

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
My cb650f (2018) does the same. I let it idle until the idle speed starts dropping which takes a couple miinutes at least. It's best to let it sit until idle drops before riding. If you ride right away it's very choppy. I asked the Honda mechanic about it and he said it's normal for that bike and a few others in the Honda sport bike line. He said to let the idle drop before riding.

Top Bottom