• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Fs CBR650FA 2014 Solenoid starter relay melted plug problem

Shishkebob

CBR650F
Nov 6, 2020
Riding Since
Hello friends !
I hope I come to the right place and maybe my experience will have others aswell.

Start:
Few weeks ago, early that morning before I went to my weeknd tour
I turned on the switch key and.... nothing happend - at all.
Screen turned off, no light no nothing.
after checking gas and everything else I went under the seat to look for burned fuses.
after a check with instrument all the fuses was okay expect the main 30 Fuse, he finished his service well.
(the 30 main fuse is sitting of the solenoid relay starter)
so I removed the fuse and than my eeyyeess went black.
it was all melted and thank god the fuse done its work before more damage was done.
ass you can see in the pictures the Solenoid cap is melted on one point and the plug aswell.
after some research and watching a youtube video about the same problem ( and a Recall for that part from 2015)

From Honda Recall system:

"POTENTIAL RECALL ISSUE(S)

Year:2014Category:MotorcyclesSub-Category:SportModel:CBR650F

NHTSA Recall Number: 15V-439​

Campaign Description QA: STARTER MAGNETIC SWITCH RECALL
MFR Campaign ID: JS9
Recall Date: 07/01/2015
Recall Status: VIN/HIN Required

Summary​

AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC. (HONDA) IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2013-2016 MOTORCYCLES. DURING ASSEMBLY OF THE STARTER RELAY SWITCH, SEALANT MAY HAVE BEEN APPLIED INCORRECTLY WHICH COULD INCREASE RESISTANCE ACROSS THE MAIN FUSE, POTENTIALLY INTERRUPTING THE MOTORCYCLE'S BATTERY VOLTAGE TO THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.

Safety Risk​

AN INTERRUPTION OF ELECTRICAL SYSTEM BATTERY VOLTAGE COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO A) NOT START OR B) STALL WHILE RIDING. IN AN EXTREME CASE, THE INCREASED RESISTANCE AT THE MAIN FUSE COULD CAUSE THE STARTER RELAY SWITCH TO CATCH ON FIRE.

Remedy​

HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE LOT NUMBER OF THE STARTER RELAY SWITCH AND REPLACE IF NECESSARY. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA MOTORCYCLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-866-784-1870. HONDA'S RECALL NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JS9."

and the youtube video with the same 1:1 problem:

and my problem in the pictures:the solenoid does not look OEM am I wrong?

so none of the of the Dealerships in my country has this parts or know anything about them
after calling honda they said that my bike is not in a need for a Recall and I did test my bike recently without any problems.
what is weird is that the Recall problem that should have been fixed happend to me and the starter doesnt look oem to me by the quality.

to fix it I've ordered from ebay a solenoid named: 35850-MT04-003
and its plug which I really hope will fit.

my question is if I ordered the right part?
did this happend to any of you and you can advise me on how fixing it?
any help would be very much appreiciated!
thank you !

Joe

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-09-17 at 15.12.56.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-17 at 15.12.56.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 11
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-09-17 at 15.13.40.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-17 at 15.13.40.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom