• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R CB650R Footrest Position

58webbing

CB650R
Mar 10, 2019
England
After many decades of off road biking, crashing and generally having fun, ignoring advice from old farts about taking care of myself, then later in life getting my prostate nuked with the usual collateral damage, my hip joints dont move as far as they used to. Getting on and off my bike can be entertaining for onlookers, however its manageable. What has been uncomfortable is raising my feet to get them on the footrests after stopping and moving off.
Lets make some reposition brackets methinks! Alluminium bar stock 25mm x 12mm x 130mm, holes centres to match the bike at 80mm and a drop of 25mm. Quite staightforward with the Honda standard M8 x 1.25 bolts. The brackets attach to the frame with M8 x 25mm csk screws and the standard Honda screws hold the footrest assembly to the brackets. The brake pedal needed a small adjustment to get it to match the new foorest position. The gear lever needed no adjustment, there was plenty of clearance to the moving parts and the pipes and wires needed no alteration.
As my chicken strips are about 30mm wide I dont anticipate scraping the hero blobs along the road, safe to say my days of racing around are over. I'm just happy to be riding.
The photos are self explanitary should anyone else decide to convert their sport bike into general runaround for the elderly.
15 miniutes with some allen keys and its all back to standard.

Attachments

• Brackets.JPG
    Brackets.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 468
  • LH Bracket.JPG
    LH Bracket.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 479
  • LH Foot Rest.JPG
    LH Foot Rest.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 470
  • RH Clearance.JPG
    RH Clearance.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 465
  • RH Side.JPG
    RH Side.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:

58webbing

CB650R
Mar 10, 2019
England
I had a good run on the bike yesterday and the lower peg position made all the difference, its so much more comfortable than before. I made some 25mm shorter hero blobs so the cornering rub point is the same, not that I will ever get that far.

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
Nice machining there. How much did it cost you in materials?

Have been wondering why Honda made the "hero blobs" so long on these footpegs. Is it simply because they positioned the pegs high in the first place?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Have been wondering why Honda made the "hero blobs" so long on these footpegs. Is it simply because they positioned the pegs high in the first place?
They are there to let you know you are going to be soon dragging hard parts that don’t move that can and will lift your wheel off the ground and can cause a crash.

Most of the time they are like 10mm or so longer than the hard parts hanging down. It’s usually the side stand foot that’s first to the ground.

victorkkq

CBR650F
Oct 30, 2018
58webbing 58webbing This is brilliant! I am looking for adjustability (to make it higher instead) without changing the entire footrest. Good job! I would buy from you.. :)

58webbing

CB650R
Mar 10, 2019
England
To save on wasted time and material you could make a prototype set out of a thinner material (say 6mm plywood) for a trial assembly to check on clearances etc. If all is to your liking then make your finished items with confidence.

AlexS

CBR650R ABS
Apr 3, 2019
After many decades of off road biking, crashing and generally having fun, ignoring advice from old farts about taking care of myself, then later in life getting my prostate nuked with the usual collateral damage, my hip joints dont move as far as they used to. Getting on and off my bike can be entertaining for onlookers, however its manageable. What has been uncomfortable is raising my feet to get them on the footrests after stopping and moving off.
Lets make some reposition brackets methinks! Alluminium bar stock 25mm x 12mm x 130mm, holes centres to match the bike at 80mm and a drop of 25mm. Quite staightforward with the Honda standard M8 x 1.25 bolts. The brackets attach to the frame with M8 x 25mm csk screws and the standard Honda screws hold the footrest assembly to the brackets. The brake pedal needed a small adjustment to get it to match the new foorest position. The gear lever needed no adjustment, there was plenty of clearance to the moving parts and the pipes and wires needed no alteration.
As my chicken strips are about 30mm wide I dont anticipate scraping the hero blobs along the road, safe to say my days of racing around are over. I'm just happy to be riding.
The photos are self explanitary should anyone else decide to convert their sport bike into general runaround for the elderly.
15 miniutes with some allen keys and its all back to standard.
Hi, this looks great, can I buy a set from you?

58webbing

CB650R
Mar 10, 2019
England
I am not in a position to be able to make and sell anything these days, being retired all the energy I can muster is needed elsewhere. I am also very lazy which is why the design of these "plates" is as simple as I could make it, after quite some time scribbling ideas on paper. All that is needed is some standard ally bar stock with some holes drilled in it. With less well equiped workshops the only snag areas would be drill size and the large countersink. I found everything I needed on eBay. I'm sorry not to be able to help however, if you want to commission someone to make some for yourself and maybe others go ahead, they should be quite cheap. If someone is to profit from making these I think it would be nice gesture if a small donation could be made to your local health care workers who at present are risking their wellbeing to look after the rest of us. I would be interested to know how you get on.
Stay well.

AlexS

CBR650R ABS
Apr 3, 2019
I am not in a position to be able to make and sell anything these days, being retired all the energy I can muster is needed elsewhere. I am also very lazy which is why the design of these "plates" is as simple as I could make it, after quite some time scribbling ideas on paper. All that is needed is some standard ally bar stock with some holes drilled in it. With less well equiped workshops the only snag areas would be drill size and the large countersink. I found everything I needed on eBay. I'm sorry not to be able to help however, if you want to commission someone to make some for yourself and maybe others go ahead, they should be quite cheap. If someone is to profit from making these I think it would be nice gesture if a small donation could be made to your local health care workers who at present are risking their wellbeing to look after the rest of us. I would be interested to know how you get on.
Stay well.
Totally understood, would you mind to share drawings? dimensions? Thank you

58webbing

CB650R
Mar 10, 2019
England
Because the "design" is so simple there are no drawings. The dimensions and description are in my original thread. The only addition was of an M8 thread insert as the quality of the aluminium used was not that great and I did not want to risk stripping the threads.

58webbing

CB650R
Mar 10, 2019
England
You're right it does look grim in the photos however the chain is very well cared for. The silvery colour is the natural link colour and the grey colour is moly grease. I regularly grease the chain with a small pot and an old toothbrush. While it gets the grease where it is needed it does not do a visualy neat job on the sides of the links. I have found this to be the best way of lubing the chains of all my bikes for decades, its quick, non wastefull, stays in place very well, cheap and probably the best medium for high pressure applications. I hate to see a dry or even worse a rusty chain and now I will have to revise my list to include untidily appled lube, even though the photo makes it look much worse than it is. Well spotted.:)

Last edited:

AlexS

CBR650R ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Because the "design" is so simple there are no drawings. The dimensions and description are in my original thread. The only addition was of an M8 thread insert as the quality of the aluminium used was not that great and I did not want to risk stripping the threads.
Thank you for the idea and the description, I created a 3D model and took it to a CNC. The result is amazing, so much more comfortable and honestly not really visible. Also saved me a lot of money as the alternative was a rear set. Again thank you!!!

Attachments

• 47B10B25-EE91-42CE-9CDF-48B2965E820E.jpeg
    47B10B25-EE91-42CE-9CDF-48B2965E820E.jpeg
    724.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 01C408C1-68E0-4705-8ED8-D225546982A7.jpeg
    01C408C1-68E0-4705-8ED8-D225546982A7.jpeg
    624.5 KB · Views: 218

AlexS

CBR650R ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Just in case somebody needs the file I used. Please note that the thread is for illustration only, M8 1.25 should be used. all other dimensions is exactly what I used.

Attachments

• CBR_CB_Lower_Footpegs_bracket.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 172

BC_Rob

CBR650R ABS
May 6, 2021
Riding Since
A friend on mine made me two sets. I have an extra for $80usd plus shipping if anyone wants one. All proceeds going to fabricator.

87DAA050-A8B0-49F5-99CC-C9E043A401D1.jpegC8DFBC89-0F56-4EC6-8BE7-31C26CAAFF53.jpeg
1051102D-C0B1-4939-A4EE-07902C925380.jpegE89C4AE3-2110-47E1-BC4D-9A2C90728554.jpeg

Last edited:

BC_Rob

CBR650R ABS
May 6, 2021
Riding Since
Just returned from a test ride. Footpeg bracket is awesome for my 33” inseam. So much more comfortable… a real game changer for longer rides.

Last edited:
Top Bottom