• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

cb650r akrapovic

Raffy

CB650R
Mar 22, 2022
Riding Since
Just wondering do I need to remap my ecu after installing the akrapovic steel full system.

Cracker

CB650R
May 18, 2019
You dont "need" to, but if you want the bike to actually run better, then yes you will need to.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
You dont "need" to, but if you want the bike to actually run better, then yes you will need to.
This is incorrect. Akrapovic pipes for the 650 series are designed to run just fine without an ECU flash or piggyback fuel controller. It’s clearly stated in their product description.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
This is incorrect. Akrapovic pipes for the 650 series are designed to run just fine without an ECU flash or piggyback fuel controller. It’s clearly stated in their product description.
As clear as that is, it's still not 100% clear. Is it designed to run fine without an ECU flash with the baffle in, out, or both? I'm assuming its designed to run fine with the baffle in, but removing it would make it quite a bit more lean since the baffle is much more restrictive.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
As clear as that is, it's still not 100% clear. Is it designed to run fine without an ECU flash with the baffle in, out, or both? I'm assuming its designed to run fine with the baffle in, but removing it would make it quite a bit more lean since the baffle is much more restrictive.
An inquiry to Akra will clear it up if there is a concern, however if the baffle is designed to be removable and the exhaust is designed to run without the need for a tune you can safely say it will be fine. There is nothing to say with or without the baffle changes anything.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
An inquiry to Akra goes unanswered sadly. For all of the glowing praise they are a horribly unresponsive organization when customers have quality concerns or questions.

It's also safe to say that flow characteristics are vastly different when going from a 2" to 4" unobstructed exit. It simply can't be optimized for both. Safe yes, but not optimized for one of them.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
An inquiry to Akra goes unanswered sadly. For all of the glowing praise they are a horribly unresponsive organization when customers have quality concerns or questions.

It's also safe to say that flow characteristics are vastly different when going from a 2" to 4" unobstructed exit. It simply can't be optimized for both. Safe yes, but not optimized for one of them.
Contact Hard Racing and ask them, you will get a much better response and they are happy to answer questions, especially if you bought from them. They are one of the largest distributers in the US of Akra and have a bunch of product knowledge.

While the flow characteristics are "vastly" different between baffle and no baffle, that wasn't the question I responded to or talked about. The poster said:

That quote is an incorrect statement. The bike will indeed "actually run better" with the pipe and without a fuel controller or remap. Is it optimal? Nope, and I never said that no was it ever claimed by Akra. Lifted from the Akra pipe for the CB650R on the Revzilla website:

Features:​

• High quality stainless steel headers and mid-pipes
  • No fuel remapping required, but for optimal performance RevZilla recommends use of a fuel controller
  • A combination of beautiful machine and hand welds
  • Integrated titanium exhaust hanger
  • CNC machined muffler inlet cap
  • Optimized to maximize lean angle
  • All carbon fiber parts are produced in-house
  • Air-tight quality controlled production means your exhaust will be perfect
  • High-quality, silicon-shielded stainless steel exhaust springs
The fact the pipe is designed to run without NEEDING tune is factual.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Per Akra all published information was with baffle in and non-tuned. They stated that the bike runs very lean from the factory and the bike would benefit from a tune whether or not the baffle is in or out.

So as reported it's fine to run without remapping, but it's certainly not optimized as others have reported once they had it professionally tuned. Just my 2 cents, but based on the conversation with Akra I'm going to be getting a fuel management system. I'd much rather run rich than run any leaner than it already was from the factory.

Top Bottom