CB1000r experience

Roland

CB650F ABS
Over the last few weeks while my dealer has been messing around trying to find my log book I've not been able to ride my new bike other than with Trade plates attached. Over the last few days they lent me a brand new (new model) CB1000r to ride.

So what do I think of it?

It is definitely a head turner. Many other bikers have stopped to tell me how much they like the look of it. The red colour is especially nice. Personally I hate the rear mudguard "thing" and I don't like the pretend retro look of the bike. I don't like the round headlights because the LED lights inside are in a line so don't throw a "round" light.

The power delivery is amazing. I rode it in Sport mode and knew it was in sport mode. It made a fantastic noise and wanted to wheelie off every traffic light. I switched it to "standard" mode as it was easier to ride in traffic. Gear changes are smooth and braking is good. It's got a gear indicator, but not having one isn't an issue for me. The clocks look very nice. The pillion handle feels more robust than our bikes though it's the same kind of design.

And then that's about it.

Petrol consumption is horrendous.
Those aluminium panels will scratch and once they are scratched you aren't going to be able to sort that out
The handlebars and the clamp look cheap
No span adjustment on the levers!
The side stand thing to push it out is right under the footpeg which has a looong hero blob on it. It's hard to get to.
There is a nasty vibration in the back of the seat at around 5000 rpm
I didn't check the pillion seat under the cowl but it doesn't look so big. Doesn't bother me as I have another bike for those duties but it might bother you.
You certainly feel the heat of the engine in London traffic
It's too nice to park in London without fearing it will get stolen

The bike has attracted a lot of strange aggressive reaction from some London bikers too. I've had a lot more people forcing their way to get in front. I'm sure also I'm looking a bit of a rich London poser which doesn't help.
My CB650f is properly taxed from today so the 1000 is going back. I'm not sure I'll be sad to see it go.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Well you just put me off buying a cb1000r Ha Ha I don't like these bikes with all these modes.I figure, a cb1000
will not be your first bike so why the modes,more things to go wrong.Also what was the weight like and how did
it handle in the twisties?

Roland

CB650F ABS
Sorry to put you off hahaha. I think if I was spending the money I'd have a very good look at their competition. You get a lot more with some other manufacturers.

I never thought I'd like modes either, but I did enjoy the difference between sport and standard. I don't think there's a risk of more things going wrong. I'd imagine less risk since for example there are no throttle cables.

And then to see that a bike of this price has a cable clutch .... Hmmm. Not impressed.

The bike doesn't weigh much more (if at all) and handles superbly. It just rides like the 650 but with a lot more power. It's a very good ride I'd say. The position is a bit more leany-forwardy and at speed it warrants it.

Ok so I have a more powerful bike for touring, taking the wife out and trips etc but the CB1000r is really a solo bike that will look crap with luggage. Whether you need that kind of power on this kind of bike is debatable in my view.

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
It is definitely a head turner. Many other bikers have stopped to tell me how much they like the look of it. The red colour is especially nice. Personally I hate the rear mudguard "thing" and I don't like the pretend retro look of the bike. I don't like the round headlights because the LED lights inside are in a line so don't throw a "round" light.

Exactly! That pretend retro stuff is the thing that annoys me so much. Either go full retro (CB1100) or not at all.
Saw it in person a few weeks ago at my dealership for the first time. A bit better than it looked on pictures but still not my taste. I also thought the dark red suits it really well and much better than black.

But every test I saw about it they mentioned the "awkward" power delivery. Nice low down power but then a strange power cut between 5 and 7k rpm. After that another punch until it hits the rev limiter.
Apparently it has nothing to do with emissions/regulations.
It has some nice features (looking at you, auto blipper - or however you call it (clutchless downshifts)).

What really blows my mind tho is the price. In Germany you pay almost 15k € for a brand new CB1000R + model, 14.800€ to be more specific. When I start looking at the "competition"....

JMF894

CB650F ABS
Jul 17, 2018
I test rode the old (123hp) CB1000r when deciding what to buy. Personally I liked that one and it was effin quick but I tried to be half sensible and got the cb650 instead. I don't like the rear plate/mudguard onthe new one either but I think a tail tidy is available.

jitaylor

CBR650F ABS
Apr 25, 2018
when I was shopping bikes a couple years ago that was the one I really wanted. I was priced out of it at the time. It had an Yoshi put on at the factory, which was weird. And I am a sucker for single sided swing arms. I bet they are great wheelie mobiles. I remember some reviewers said the highway behavior was troubling somehow. I just thought they were the coolest naked bike ever, although there is quite a bit of competition at that spot.

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
when I was shopping bikes a couple years ago that was the one I really wanted. I was priced out of it at the time. It had an Yoshi put on at the factory, which was weird. And I am a sucker for single sided swing arms. I bet they are great wheelie mobiles. I remember some reviewers said the highway behavior was troubling somehow. I just thought they were the coolest naked bike ever, although there is quite a bit of competition at that spot.
Can´t really think of a reason why it should be troubling on a highway. It handles speed very well.
Been at 6th gear limiter a few times now (Hey, it´s legal on the Autobahn). Power and stability is good. If it wasn´t for the gearing you could go faster. But I think 248 km/h (speedometer figure, so maybe real 225/230) is enough without wind protection.
Only issue with high speeds is the wind after a while - well of course it is, it´s a naked bike.
One day I traveled 500 km on the Autobahn, generally cruising at around 160 km/h with a few top speed runs. No problem what soever except my head and neck the next morning :smuggrin:

There really isn´t a big problem with the bike. Sure, some quirks but not really a dealbreaker.
Little "faults":
- Apparently the paintjob quality is a bit lacking
- it´s thirsty if you use it´s power (oh well, I think you don´t buy a litre bike for fuel economy - do you?)
- suspension is good but can become a bottleneck for some (that´s the case for many naked bikes tho, the SC60 is ten years old now)
- it´s horrible in traffic and "stop and go" as it becomes a ride-able teapot (again, you don´t really buy a litre bike for city commuting, do you?)

All in all I thin it is basically a big 650 with a little more spice. Imo it looks brilliant for it´s age. The alien face, the rear, the rims, the single sided swingarm....it´s one of the few Honda bikes from Italy...you get a little bit Italian styling (that´s what I talk myself into :p) with a bulletproof Japanese engine. What more to ask for?

jitaylor

CBR650F ABS
Apr 25, 2018
Can´t really think of a reason why it should be troubling on a highway. It handles speed very well.
Been at 6th gear limiter a few times now (Hey, it´s legal on the Autobahn). Power and stability is good. If it wasn´t for the gearing you could go faster. But I think 248 km/h (speedometer figure, so maybe real 225/230) is enough without wind protection.
Only issue with high speeds is the wind after a while - well of course it is, it´s a naked bike.
One day I traveled 500 km on the Autobahn, generally cruising at around 160 km/h with a few top speed runs. No problem what soever except my head and neck the next morning :smuggrin:

There really isn´t a big problem with the bike. Sure, some quirks but not really a dealbreaker.
Little "faults":
- Apparently the paintjob quality is a bit lacking
- it´s thirsty if you use it´s power (oh well, I think you don´t buy a litre bike for fuel economy - do you?)
- suspension is good but can become a bottleneck for some (that´s the case for many naked bikes tho, the SC60 is ten years old now)
- it´s horrible in traffic and "stop and go" as it becomes a ride-able teapot (again, you don´t really buy a litre bike for city commuting, do you?)

All in all I thin it is basically a big 650 with a little more spice. Imo it looks brilliant for it´s age. The alien face, the rear, the rims, the single sided swingarm....it´s one of the few Honda bikes from Italy...you get a little bit Italian styling (that´s what I talk myself into :p) with a bulletproof Japanese engine. What more to ask for?

Yes the Italian influence is very evident. I always have liked the CB1000R .

Top Bottom