• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Canister - possible to delete it?

Estbikes

CBR650R ABS
Apr 29, 2020
Riding Since
Does anybody know if this canister can be deleted?

I'm wanting to try an undertail exhaust..

20200511_114802.jpg

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
It's the evap can. It captures fuel vapor from the tank and allows it to be drawn through the engine and burnt.

Required to meet euro4+ emissions tests. On a 2017+ 650f it is doable (as the previous models didn't have to use it). The early 650f in Thailand and California did though.

On the 650r, I'd expect a warning light if it wasn't there (again, euro4+ regs).

The engine doesn't need it to run though.

J

Estbikes

CBR650R ABS
Apr 29, 2020
Riding Since
It's the evap can. It captures fuel vapor from the tank and allows it to be drawn through the engine and burnt.

Required to meet euro4+ emissions tests. On a 2017+ 650f it is doable (as the previous models didn't have to use it). The early 650f in Thailand and California did though.

On the 650r, I'd expect a warning light if it wasn't there (again, euro4+ regs).

The engine doesn't need it to run though.

J

That's a great explanation. Thank you!

I'll see what I'll do with it!

Estbikes

CBR650R ABS
Apr 29, 2020
Riding Since
I need to do some more reading. If you can't, there's stuff under the tank you'll need to remove and tweak too.

J

If you have time and are willing too, please. Otherwise, I'll give it a shot!

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Having had another look at the service manual, just connecting the pipes looks dangerous as it could allow air to be forcibly drawn through the fuel tank into the engine.

To delete the canister you will need to also block off the pipework under the airbox (on the canister side of the solenoid valve).

You will also need to extend the fuel tank breather hose down to the bottom of the bike with the others.

I can't say what that will do to a pass/fail on any annual inspections you have in your country surrounding emissions, but know that your bike will no longer be Euro4 compliant.

HTH
J

Estbikes

CBR650R ABS
Apr 29, 2020
Riding Since
Having had another look at the service manual, just connecting the pipes looks dangerous as it could allow air to be forcibly drawn through the fuel tank into the engine.

To delete the canister you will need to also block off the pipework under the airbox (on the canister side of the solenoid valve).

You will also need to extend the fuel tank breather hose down to the bottom of the bike with the others.

I can't say what that will do to a pass/fail on any annual inspections you have in your country surrounding emissions, but know that your bike will no longer be Euro4 compliant.

HTH
J

Normally inspectionswise it wouldn't be a problem, for our bikes aren't going through inspection for now.. they plan to do it in 2022..

I will try what you mentioned above and post the result. But ONLY if I succeed with welding a nice exhaust. As it's a long time ago I welded TIG 🤪

Ive

CBR650R ABS
May 13, 2020
USA

HTH
J

Today I finally had the chance to remove the ugly EVAP canister, much better now to keep things clean. Capped off the lines on the throttle bodies and extended the evap line coming from the gas tank. Left the solenoid in peace since it's a pita to reach.

Bringing this back up.

MrFritz86 @MrFritz86 (from this post), and Brammers @Brammers: is there a check valve elsewhere - maybe at the tank where the hose leading to the canister connects - that would prevent air going backwards in the tank under a tank-vacuum scenario? Or is simply extending the line from the tank, down to the bottom of the bike (after the EVAP canister removal) sufficient to avoid inadvertently drawing in air into the tank?

I've looked at the 2014 service manual, trying to compare the plumbing between the TH model that has the canister, versus all the rest for that year that do not, and I can't tell exactly from the pictorial location/diagrams if there's simply omissions of the components between the two systems, or if there's an actual difference in portions/parts coming off the tank regarding the aforementioned concerns.

Thank you.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
My first hand experience is zero as I have a 2014 650f from the UK (no canister) but like you I didn't see anything in the 650r service manual about a check valve.

I'd assume Honda put it in the canister assembly for ease of economics. Only bike with the canister need it, so why make it a separate part?

There is a solenoid which controls the air flow... It might be this is only open for a second or two and then shuts to prevent backflow etc.

Unless you're paranoid over weight...in which case I recommend either a 600rr or a diet... I'd say leave it in place (personal opinion).

J

Reactions: Ive

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Just an FYI, my 2014 has one. (CA compliant) Been standard fare on passenger vehicles since the late 70s. Traps fuel vapors and stores then instead of venting to the atmosphere. As Brammers @Brammers pointed out, there is a pressurized component that needs to be factored it as the vapors are sucked into the intake to be burned rather than vented.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
What I would do is look at what a non-CA system looks like, that will show you what you want to do.

From memory, when I removed the canister on my Thruxton, I ran the tank vent to a hose that pointed to the ground, plugged the airbox port and plugged the vacuum ports on the intakes with caps. Easy peasy.

MrFritz86

CB650R
Sep 28, 2019
Nashville, TN
I simply extended the line, which leads to the lines grouped next to the stand. this is important to have any fuel or vapor down the line and onto the ground.
But you have to cap off the lines going into the throttle bodies. and this is very important to prevent any extra air to be sucked in messing up your AFR.
I left the solenoid in peace, since it's very hard to remove.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
For 2014 models, ca & th variations are the same, all other regions do not have the canister (UK models for example). Since euro4 came in, the canister was added to European 650f models, making them identical to the CA parts in that regard.

So the service manual should cover both.

J

Ive

CBR650R ABS
May 13, 2020
USA
Was aware of the system's purpose and function, I was just a little concerned about tank-vacuum from atmosphere after the system is separated from the EVAP solenoid/capped throttle body. Seems like I'm overanalyzing it for no reason.

Thanks everyone.

Top Bottom