• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Caliper Piston Operation

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
Evening all, currently got no forks and decided to clean up the front calipers while they were free. I removed the speed sensor, pads, pad pins, retaining springs and brackets. I left the lines attached.

Cleaned them both with soapy water and toothbrush and then focused more on the pistons, pulling the brake lever to expose more of the piston and only 1 moved at a time. I carried on depressing the brake lever and eventually the other moved instead, neither moved simultaneously, only independently about 3mm at a time. If I put my thumb against one it would not move though, only the adjacent one.

Which brings me to my query, is this correct? Should only 1 move at a time? It was the same with the other caliper. To me it seems wrong but they move very smoothly, are very clean, not used hard and have little over 10,000 miles of use.

Last edited:

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
Mine does that too. As did the front twin pot caliper on my cb500 (1997).

You didn't say which piston moved first?

J

Thanks that's reassuring then, felt like something was a-miss. Can't remember which moved first, may have been the lower one? As seen when mounted.

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
Yeh, only with a little brake fluid as per service manual.

Separate question, this red substance in the image, it's on fork pinch bolts and caliper mounting bolts but no mention of applying anything in the service manual. Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• 20190203_221531.jpg
    20190203_221531.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Top Bottom