• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Brembo Master Cylinder or Power Commander for summer?

nicomallourides

CBR650R ABS
Sep 14, 2021
Riding Since
Hi all, I own a '19 CBR650R and want to get some mods for the summer. I have around 1300 set for the Ohlins set back front and want to get another mod. I have two options for my price range (£300-£350). I'm leaning towards the Brembo Master Cylinder because I've heard it has a drastic change, but compared to previous bikes, my CBR's brakes are certainly the best i've used. I'm leaning toward the power commander as I have a MIVV MK3 full system exhaust, and obviously the extra power. So if any of you guys have had any of these upgrades i'd love some input on which would appreciate the thoughts.

Edit: I already have a OEM quickshifter, and I tried getting a wrap on it, but shops said they can't wrap matte bikes and thats a bummer. Really hoped to get a full wrap like WSBK bikes.

Last edited:

67ratrag

CB650R ABS
Oct 15, 2021
Riding Since
I have both mods on my bike and the most noticeable change was from the Power Commander. The Brembo master cylinder was not a drastic change- as you stated the brakes are already pretty good from the factory. I did add stainless steel brake lines at the Brembo swap and, together they did improve braking somewhat. The Power Commander along with removing the PAIR valve system did make the acceleration smoother, no more back firing, and was noticeable. I'd go with the PC. I also dropped one tooth off of the front sprocket so it accelerates a bit quicker. I did not do anything to adjust the speedo. I live in Thailand and don't have to worry about cops on the highways, I've seen one in two years so I drive however fast I feel like driving. Michelin Road 6's, huge upgrade from the factory tires.

Last edited:

nicomallourides

CBR650R ABS
Sep 14, 2021
Riding Since
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I think you've convinced me to go with the power commander. Do you know if I should get a Woolwich ecu flash or PC? I've been looking at PCV and it seems like I'm going to buy that and get it mapped at a local shop. I'm alright with the acceleration and like to top speed as I've hit 172 speedo on it and hit 155 comfortably so I wouldn't want to lose that.

And I agree, an upgrade is essential to the tyres. I ride mostly in the summer in Turkey (no police problems) and i bought Dunlop Sportsmart TT's and they are without a doubt the best tyres i've ever bought until now (better than pirelli SC SP2)

67ratrag

CB650R ABS
Oct 15, 2021
Riding Since
An ECU flash will always be an upgrade, but it is still a somewhat generic answer to your tune. The PC can be adjusted per your laptop to better fit the mods you have to your engine like specific exhaust type, air filter, etc, but the absolute best way to optimize your set up is to add the PC, adjust with your laptop to your mods then take it to a performance Dyno tuner to adjust everything to your exact area, producing the optimal tune for your bike and area you drive in. Your top speed is 172 km/hr, so you have one of the restricted engines? Normally an unrestricted version has a top speed of about 230-235 km/hr so I really think to increase your bang for your money is to order a ECU for your model from Thailand, then read one of the many threads that talk about derestricting these bikes. The PC still improves even this ECU as they have a flat spot in the torque curve around 5,000-6,000rpm and the PC makes that disappear. Time to do a little homework, fortunately there is much posted here to address your needs.

nicomallourides

CBR650R ABS
Sep 14, 2021
Riding Since
An ECU flash will always be an upgrade, but it is still a somewhat generic answer to your tune. The PC can be adjusted per your laptop to better fit the mods you have to your engine like specific exhaust type, air filter, etc, but the absolute best way to optimize your set up is to add the PC, adjust with your laptop to your mods then take it to a performance Dyno tuner to adjust everything to your exact area, producing the optimal tune for your bike and area you drive in. Your top speed is 172 km/hr, so you have one of the restricted engines? Normally an unrestricted version has a top speed of about 230-235 km/hr so I really think to increase your bang for your money is to order a ECU for your model from Thailand, then read one of the many threads that talk about derestricting these bikes. The PC still improves even this ECU as they have a flat spot in the torque curve around 5,000-6,000rpm and the PC makes that disappear. Time to do a little homework, fortunately there is much posted here to address your needs.
Sorry i must have mistyped somewhere. Top speed was 173MPH so around 278KMH on a very slight downwards hill. 260 on a straight, so i'm not worried about top speed. I'll have a look into how much this will cost total, as a local shop said $200 for a PC setup.

67ratrag

CB650R ABS
Oct 15, 2021
Riding Since

nicomallourides

CBR650R ABS
Sep 14, 2021
Riding Since
Being honest, those sites always underestimate the top speeds, as its highly variable to alot of things. I've seen many people get 275-280kmh on a 08 600rr, so i would say 160mph is a bit low. I also agree that most people dont get above 150mph, but my bike can easily do it. Maybe its because of my weight (65kg) or something else.

nicomallourides

CBR650R ABS
Sep 14, 2021
Riding Since
I have both mods on my bike and the most noticeable change was from the Power Commander. The Brembo master cylinder was not a drastic change- as you stated the brakes are already pretty good from the factory. I did add stainless steel brake lines at the Brembo swap and, together they did improve braking somewhat. The Power Commander along with removing the PAIR valve system did make the acceleration smoother, no more back firing, and was noticeable. I'd go with the PC. I also dropped one tooth off of the front sprocket so it accelerates a bit quicker. I did not do anything to adjust the speedo. I live in Thailand and don't have to worry about cops on the highways, I've seen one in two years so I drive however fast I feel like driving. Michelin Road 6's, huge upgrade from the factory tires.
Hey, so my bikeshop can't install the power commander as theyre fully booked. Can i install it myself and map it myself? Or is it difficult? I will be going to turkey in 2 weeks so i'm considering returning it if i can't map it myself. Thanks.

67ratrag

CB650R ABS
Oct 15, 2021
Riding Since
I installed my own but it is tight getting to some of the connections. If you have a laptop you can log on to their website and load a map similar to the set up you have. As it comes from the company it has a generic map for the 650 which will get rid of that flat spot in the torque curve so you could install it, reap the benefits of having it with the generic map which is already going to be helpful. When you have time connect to their site and load a more specific map but it will not be night and day. You're not going to gain horsepower like a turbo, you will optimize the parts you have added for a smoother balanced ride.

nicomallourides

CBR650R ABS
Sep 14, 2021
Riding Since
I installed my own but it is tight getting to some of the connections. If you have a laptop you can log on to their website and load a map similar to the set up you have. As it comes from the company it has a generic map for the 650 which will get rid of that flat spot in the torque curve so you could install it, reap the benefits of having it with the generic map which is already going to be helpful. When you have time connect to their site and load a more specific map but it will not be night and day. You're not going to gain horsepower like a turbo, you will optimize the parts you have added for a smoother balanced ride.
Okay thank you for your advice. I plan on buying a new bike in March 2024, and after summer i probably wont ride, so do you think its worth it for the 3 months i'll ride in Turkey (9,000km)? I don't use the bike when back in the UK.

Top Bottom