• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Best Maps from power commander

Nick 650

CBR650F
Apr 3, 2019
New York, USA
I just got a power commander for my bike. I have the akrapovic exhuast with no baffle and db killer removed. Should I use the akra map map or the arrow with db killer removed map?

Many people have said both. Ive heard the bikes run better with the arrow map if you have the de-cat akra exhuast and removed the baffle.

I thought a thread just for maps for the akra exhuasts.

jerzy_bondov

CBR650F ABS
Sep 30, 2018
London
If you’ve got a PCFC you can load both maps and do back to back rides - see which you prefer. My suspicion is you’ll want whichever is richer in the mid range. But as Brammers said, if you can afford it get a dyno tune - especially if you’ve removed the baffle.

Which Akra exhaust have you got? 11/12/13? How loud is it without the baffle??

jerzy_bondov

CBR650F ABS
Sep 30, 2018
London
Out of 1 to 10 i am wondering how better the bike feels with a tune

Going to depend on the bike, and the particular effect any given mods have had on it! But I just got my Fireblade tuned yesterday - went from 106bhp at the back wheel to 146bhp at the back wheel. So that's probably a 9...

jerzy_bondov

CBR650F ABS
Sep 30, 2018
London
2007 Blade, but a new one will give you 106bhp if it's not set up right! This dyno was on the conservative side too.

Nick 650

CBR650F
Apr 3, 2019
New York, USA
If you’ve got a PCFC you can load both maps and do back to back rides - see which you prefer. My suspicion is you’ll want whichever is richer in the mid range. But as Brammers said, if you can afford it get a dyno tune - especially if you’ve removed the baffle.

Which Akra exhaust have you got? 11/12/13? How loud is it without the baffle??

I have the 11, so no cat and no baffle. And for me the sound is perfect. Cruising in a higher gear is a nice time not too loud. But at the high rpm the bike really sings. Sounds amazing in my opinion

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Come on miweber, I can take it 😊

Context - my thread on the 1000rr forum:
https://www.1000rr.co.uk/threads/miserable-output-on-dyno-today.37050/page-2
Alright, I will.........

Your above link confirms exactly what I was thinking and why I didn’t actually comment in the first place:

You’re being extremely misleading by stating you went from 106hp to 146hp, then giving it 9 rating in a thread asking about effectiveness of a power commander.

I wasn’t sure if the dyno tuner was pulling your leg, many do, or if there was some other factor but you’re insinuating a 48% power increase happened because of your PCV. It wasn’t just the PC, the map, a dyno tune, etc. You had several mechanical issues (the flapper valve, loose intake runners, an incorrect baffle for the exhaust) that was the vast majority of your low power output NOT a PC and NOT a dyno tune only. In fact you’re quoting with no mods, tightening the secondary tracts and removing the PCV map you went from 106 hp to 120hp, then by removing the baffle another 18hp for 138 hp which puts you in about the “right” area for that bike if it’s working as it should.

From there you hooked the PCV back up, got it tuned and added 8 hp to the bike getting you to 146, then putting the modified baffle in gets you 143 hp, again, a typical number an 06 RR with a pipe and PCV would show.

Comments without context are VERY misleading and could lead to someone spending $800 on a custom tune and PC and being VERY disappointed when the bike isn’t suddenly a fire breather when they shouldn’t be and it’s doing exactly as it’s designed.

Other than Brammers @Brammers gaining 10hp on his bike we’ve had no dyno figures before and after a PC install so there’s no real database for what to expect. Honestly, I’m thinking on the 650 it will improve throttle response, help the midrange pull and lower fuel mileage a bit but I expect very little top end power gain, maybe 4 hp at the very top. Brammers has proof I’m wrong but I stand by my comments it’ll be a very mild increase.

jerzy_bondov

CBR650F ABS
Sep 30, 2018
London
I think you may have taken my point the wrong way. 100% agree that a power commander by itself has marginal absolute gains, the benefit mostly comes from rideability.

I was referring to the original question of ‘how much better does a bike feel with a tune?’.

To which my experience the tune was really very significant. I wouldn’t have discovered the issues the bike had without them. The power commander didn’t generate 40bhp, the troubleshooting enabled by putting the bike on a dyno generated it.

Granted on a newer 650 you’re less likely to be facing these kinds of issues, but the fact remains that going for a dyno tune has other benefits beyond optimising your power commander’s relationship with your own specific bike setup.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I think you may have taken my point the wrong way. 100% agree that a power commander by itself has marginal absolute gains, the benefit mostly comes from rideability.

I was referring to the original question of ‘how much better does a bike feel with a tune?’.

To which my experience the tune was really very significant. I wouldn’t have discovered the issues the bike had without them. The power commander didn’t generate 40bhp, the troubleshooting enabled by putting the bike on a dyno generated it.

I may have misunderstood but your exact posts were:

Going to depend on the bike, and the particular effect any given mods have had on it! But I just got my Fireblade tuned yesterday - went from 106bhp at the back wheel to 146bhp at the back wheel. So that's probably a 9...
2007 Blade, but a new one will give you 106bhp if it's not set up right! This dyno was on the conservative side too.

There’s zero other information to lead anyone to believe anything other than what was stated.

It’s all good, and again, I knew something else was a factor in your statement. But misleading info, no matter how well intended (crazy fuel mileage numbers or unobtainable top speeds, for instance) can make people reach conclusions that they want to hear, see or get. But are not realistic.

Gilberd12

CB650F ABS
Mar 5, 2019
Did you have much trouble getting the db killer out? I have tried everything and it wont move. Its actually damaging the quiet core a slight bit. Is there anything else I'm missing besides the screw holding it in?

Nick 650

CBR650F
Apr 3, 2019
New York, USA
Did you have much trouble getting the db killer out? I have tried everything and it wont move. Its actually damaging the quiet core a slight bit. Is there anything else I'm missing besides the screw holding it in?

I had a lot of trouble getting it out too. I sprayed where the db killer meets with the muffler with wd40 and let it sit for a while. Don’t be afraid to use a lot of wd40. Then I took a piece of wood and put it through the muffler and pounded the db killer out from the back. It took a while but I got it. There is some good youtube videos out there. The Yamaha MT-09 has a similar akrapovic exhaust so watch those videos too

Gilberd12

CB650F ABS
Mar 5, 2019
Ok I was trying the same thing last night. Did you pound on the pipe or on the edges of the fb killer?

Top Bottom