• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Back brake seems pretty weak, especially compared to the front

BayArea_Wanderer

CB650R ABS
Sep 9, 2021
Riding Since
EBC will make an HH+ pad that will help the power and feel but know all the brakes will have a very “wooden” feel and the back brake is not designed to actually stop your bike, but only to assist the front brake which should be your main brakes. If you come from cruisers or touring bikes, that will take some getting used to.
Ditto this...I made the choice to upgrade brake pads before my first track day on my starter Yamaha R3 from stock to EBC HH+ sintered brake pads for front and rear. In my judgement, the braking bite and feel went from a 4/10 stock to a 7/10 post install + track day to test. Yes, I also flushed the front and rear systems with high temp resistant brake fluid. In my experience, brake pads and steel braided lines are what improve braking feel as basic upgrades.

I firmly believe sintered brake pads are the most cost effective performance mod you can install on just about any motorcycle (yes, there always exceptions). Now although I am not any kind of racer nor have any greater credibility, I felt more confident braking deeper into corners at the track. It is what the club coach was coaching me through anyways. After my epiphany I immediately installed EBC HH+ on my GSX-R 750, massive change. Plan to install them on the CB650R after the first thousand miles. Every rider can and should learn to judge and replace their brake pads

What changed?
When I take a look at the stock pads they appear to be a predominantly organic material delivering a softer feel through the braking stroke and overall smoother ride because softer breaking will not upset the chassis as dramatically as braking with a stronger bite. Sintered pads contain higher volume of metallic particles that create that stronger bite'y feel but they do also create more heat. This is why high temp brake fluid flush is recommended especially if you plan to do back to back track sessions.

It felt like a coming of [age] skill?
When I was more of a beginner it was nice to have softer brakes, now I am comfortable, responsible, and reliable with the brake levers & full suspension stroke I feel as though I have grown out of stock organic pads and will never go back :D.

How does one "seat" the pads to the rotors? You wear them in! I am out here in San Francisco, so I just roll down some hills stop sign to stop sign to heat them up and wear them in. Yes, I also use engine braking here I am not just jamming on the brakes and calipers.

Last edited:

MasterSlimes

CB650R
Jun 4, 2021
New Brunswick, Canada
Riding Since
Ditto this...I made the choice to upgrade brake pads before my first track day on my starter Yamaha R3 from stock to EBC HH+ sintered brake pads for front and rear. In my judgement, the braking bite and feel went from a 4/10 stock to a 7/10 post install + track day to test. Yes, I also flushed the front and rear systems with high temp resistant brake fluid. In my experience, brake pads and steel braided lines are what improve braking feel as basic upgrades.

I firmly believe sintered brake pads are the most cost effective performance mod you can install on just about any motorcycle (yes, there always exceptions). Now although I am not any kind of racer nor have any greater credibility, I felt more confident braking deeper into corners at the track. It is what the club coach was coaching me through anyways. After my epiphany I immediately installed EBC HH+ on my GSX-R 750, massive change. Plan to install them on the CB650R after the first thousand miles. Every rider can and should learn to judge and replace their brake pads

What changed?
When I take a look at the stock pads they appear to be a predominantly organic material delivering a softer feel through the braking stroke and overall smoother ride because softer breaking will not upset the chassis as dramatically as braking with a stronger bite. Sintered pads contain higher volume of metallic particles that create that stronger bite'y feel but they do also create more heat. This is why high temp brake fluid flush is recommended especially if you plan to do back to back track sessions.

It felt like a coming of [age] skill?
When I was more of a beginner it was nice to have softer brakes, now I am comfortable, responsible, and reliable with the brake levers & full suspension stroke I feel as though I have grown out of stock organic pads and will never go back :D.

How does one "seat" the pads to the calipers? You wear them in! I am out here in San Francisco, so I just roll down some hills stop sign to stop sign to heat them up and wear them in. Yes, I also use engine braking here I am not just jamming on the brakes and calipers.
Hmm...great ideas ! Is it hard to change brake pads ?

OneyedK

CB650R ABS
Jun 19, 2021
Riding Since
Changing brake pads is fairly easy.

Just follow the procedure described in the service manual (still the same as the CB650F)
and do not listen to internet quacks claiming to know better than Honda...

OneyedK

CB650R ABS
Jun 19, 2021
Riding Since
/update:

After riding my wife's Z650, I decided to try different rear brake pads.
Ordered a set of Brembo 07HO53SP.

Swapped them today, the stock ones appear to be Nissin NKX20FF (so I was wrong stating they were Brembo Blue Ceramics).

Test rode the bike with the Red Brembo's and after a minute or so they already performed admirably.
Another minute later, my right foot was already rattled by the ABS.
So yes, upgrading the pads was al that needed to be done :rolleyes:

Dontpush

CB650R ABS
Mar 8, 2020
Riding Since
My stock rear brake locks up pretty easily. I can get the abs to kick in with a fairly light amount of force. Might just be what you're used to from other bikes.

OneyedK

CB650R ABS
Jun 19, 2021
Riding Since
Might just be what you're used to from other bikes.
Naah... Maybe Honda (or Nissin) used a different oem brake pad production method or facility since 2020?

Difference between the stock pads and the Brembo's is just too big to be justified by what I'm used to.

btw, I took a picture of my stock pads. Does the wear on the left pad seem normal??? (never saw that uneven wear on pads before)
IMG_0644.jpg

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Looks like they aren't fully bedded in yet IMHO.

I went to EBC HH pads on the rear years ago, never looked back - so you've done the right thing.

J

Top Bottom