Atlanta riders?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I’ve been thinking about a job and location change for several years now, and especially looking for a way to move to a climate that would allow year round, or at least close to year round, motorcycle riding. A possibility popped up recently down south, something a little farther away away than I wanted but definitely doable. The one “drawback” is I’d be taking care of two markets, Atlanta, GA and Greenville, SC; right now I take care of 5 in a northern climate with the farthest being 4 1/2 hours away in good weather which means this is a step up.

So I’m looking for some info on the Atlanta area: what’s the vibe, is it a good riding area, hows the city and outlying area, would you recommend it to someone, how are they with northerners, etc.? It’s important that my wife and I “fit in” and while I can read a ton about the culture and area, it’s nice to hear from others who live and maybe have moved there.

Before moving to Minneapolis almost 15 years ago, we lived in a city that HATED outsiders and the 9 months we lived there were the worst time in our lives and we don’t want to make that mistake again. I like the idea of seasons, one of the reasons I like the Knoxville area, but I want to get away from the 6 month hibernation I currently experience.

Anyone with experience there?

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Stay VERY FAR AWAY from Atlanta!!! No, I haven't lived there but spent a lot of time there and it's a traffic nightmare! Also, the crime rate is one of the worst.

Now, if you're thinking of somewhere southwest or southeast of the ATL then there are some beautiful places! Many small, out-of-the-way towns with a ton of history and the riding...well, if God made an area in the US for riding then this is the place!!!

As for the people, again, Atlanta is trash. And Georgians in particular are a different breed...they stay hard to their heritage and NOTHING will change that, not even that idiot Stacy Abrams (Atlanta). Georgia is open-carry so if you're not used to seeing people walk around with a pistol on their hip then it may be a shock to you.

Me, I go up there every summer as one of my best friend lives there. As for you being a "Yankee" just don't try and change their ways because they won't take kindly to that. In other words, keep your politics to yourself - especially if you're a liberal! Georgians aren't fast-moving as they love to talk and have an "it'll get done, when it gets done" attitude.

Eventually, I plan to buy a cabin somewhere near the mountains and retire there. Ya just can't beat the riding. The state, again, is so full of history which I love.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
miweber929 @miweber929 call me if you want to discuss. I lived in Atlanta from 91-95, and in Savannah from 95-96. Learned to ride there. Very different place after the 96 Olympics. Every bigger city in the South has become a melting pot. Smaller towns not so much. I moved there from NY.

Nashville and Charlotte are much better choices.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Stay VERY FAR AWAY from Atlanta!!! No, I haven't lived there but spent a lot of time there and it's a traffic nightmare! Also, the crime rate is one of the worst.

Now, if you're thinking of somewhere southwest or southeast of the ATL then there are some beautiful places! Many small, out-of-the-way towns with a ton of history and the riding...well, if God made an area in the US for riding then this is the place!!!

As for the people, again, Atlanta is trash. And Georgians in particular are a different breed...they stay hard to their heritage and NOTHING will change that, not even that idiot Stacy Abrams (Atlanta). Georgia is open-carry so if you're not used to seeing people walk around with a pistol on their hip then it may be a shock to you.

Me, I go up there every summer as one of my best friend lives there. As for you being a "Yankee" just don't try and change their ways because they won't take kindly to that. In other words, keep your politics to yourself - especially if you're a liberal! Georgians aren't fast-moving as they love to talk and have an "it'll get done, when it gets done" attitude.

Eventually, I plan to buy a cabin somewhere near the mountains and retire there. Ya just can't beat the riding. The state, again, is so full of history which I love.

Interesting, I definitely appreciate your thoughts. Weird, though, your take vs. what I got from the same post on the SuperSport forum with yours being very negative. I’m aware of the traffic and open carry, and have zero desire to fight with anyone over their heritage or political views. It’s more where we were before the Cities because I wasn’t native to the area we were looked down on and I had an awful work experience because the “locals” only took direction from “locals” and hated “outsiders”.

As far as riding goes, yeah, area is great for sure.

miweber929 @miweber929 call me if you want to discuss. I lived in Atlanta from 91-95, and in Savannah from 95-96. Learned to ride there. Very different place after the 96 Olympics. Every bigger city in the South has become a melting pot. Smaller towns not so much. I moved there from NY.

Nashville and Charlotte are much better choices.

Thanks as well, Bob. I’m not a huge fan of Nashville, I’ve built a few studios the over the years and it’s too crazy with music people but Charlotte would be a great choice if work were there. This opportunity is pretty much made for me and may be a way to get in the area with the thought to move to a more permanent location

We’ll see, I’m still in the thinking stage. My one thought now is if my “home” area is Greenville or Atlanta. That would change a lot of my thoughts depending on where I’m working out of.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Wasn't trying to be negative...on the contrary! I LOVE Georgians! (Especially those ladies and their accents!!!)

I'm from Buffalo, NY originally and transplanted to Florida 12 years ago. What a difference in ideology, behaviors and etiquette between the states. New Yorkers think they own the world, Floridians just love the sunshine and beaches whereas Georgians...I'm telling you, it's heritage first, then family...something I think many other states are lacking.

But every time I visit the locals are nothing but friendly, trusting and fun. That's why I want to retire there!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Wasn't trying to be negative...on the contrary! I LOVE Georgians! (Especially those ladies and their accents!!!)

I'm from Buffalo, NY originally and transplanted to Florida 12 years ago. What a difference in ideology, behaviors and etiquette between the states. New Yorkers think they own the world, Floridians just love the sunshine and beaches whereas Georgians...I'm telling you, it's heritage first, then family...something I think many other states are lacking.

But every time I visit the locals are nothing but friendly, trusting and fun. That's why I want to retire there!

Huh, must have misunderstood. I took these as not a positive review of the area:

As for the people, again, Atlanta is trash. And Georgians in particular are a different breed...they stay hard to their heritage and NOTHING will change that, not even that idiot Stacy Abrams (Atlanta).

As for you being a "Yankee" just don't try and change their ways because they won't take kindly to that. In other words, keep your politics to yourself - especially if you're a liberal!
I must have read them differently than you meant it. My bad.

Nick_McK

CBR650F
Jun 1, 2018
Woodstock, Ga
Riding Since
I live about 30 minutes north of Atlanta and I absolutely love it. The area is super clean and little to no crime. The area is exploding with jobs. If you end up moving here, I would not live in the city. Living 30 minutes north or west of Atlanta are some of the best areas. Great weather as well, my dad and I rode up to the mountains today and it was 65 degrees. I used to live in South Carolina as well, but I would never go back.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Huh, must have misunderstood. I took these as not a positive review of the area:

I must have read them differently than you meant it. My bad.

No problem, I can see how I may have come off condescending. But I LOVE Georgia! Like Nick says, probably anything outside of Atlanta is going to be decent. Where Nick lives, that's where my buddy wants to move as he lives east-southeast of Atlanta. What was once a great neighborhood is now getting crime-infested. He has a gorgeous house on some great land but every single day he's bitching about how bad it's gotten.

I'd move to Georgia now if they paid teachers better. Unfortunately, they're almost $10K less than what my Florida district pays. And, Georgia has state income tax - which Florida and Tennessee don't! (NY taxes you on EVERYTHING...state, city, town, village...breathing!!!)

Like anywhere there are always areas that are beautiful and some that aren't. Do your research, look at some of the properties for sale on Trulia or Zillow. Contact a realtor and ask them what the best areas are to get a better idea.

Top Bottom