Aprilia RS660 is desirable :) (first ride review)

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
The RS660 has been on my radar ever since it's preview last year. It seems perfect for what I want in a sport bike right now: power similar to the 650R but with a little more torque, better suspension and brakes, and lighter. But Aprilia reliability makes me nervous. My local dealer has told me some stories about Aprilia warranty issues are how his Ducati customers claim their bikes are reliable, lol. Even still, I plan to check this out once my dealer gets it in stock.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
I've been eyeing this bike ever since its announcement last year. Two things worry me though: Aprilia reliability and passenger room.

The reliability doesn't worry me too much, actually. By being patient and waiting a year or so, I can keep an eye out for reports on reliability issues. Also, warranty laws are quite clear here so issues that crop up in the first year of ownership will have to be dealt with by the dealer.

Passenger room is a bit of a thing, though. I have rarely ridden with a passenger, but I was "grooming" my girlfriend for 2up riding a bit. We bought her the stuff she needs to ride with me and I was planning on doing some rides. COVID threw a bit of a spanner in the works there, but it's something I'm looking forward to. Looks like the RS660 won't have room for a passenger. Or am I wrong? Might be worth it waiting for the Tuono 660 instead?

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
I've been eyeing this bike ever since its announcement last year. Two things worry me though: Aprilia reliability and passenger room.

The reliability doesn't worry me too much, actually. By being patient and waiting a year or so, I can keep an eye out for reports on reliability issues. Also, warranty laws are quite clear here so issues that crop up in the first year of ownership will have to be dealt with by the dealer.

Passenger room is a bit of a thing, though. I have rarely ridden with a passenger, but I was "grooming" my girlfriend for 2up riding a bit. We bought her the stuff she needs to ride with me and I was planning on doing some rides. COVID threw a bit of a spanner in the works there, but it's something I'm looking forward to. Looks like the RS660 won't have room for a passenger. Or am I wrong? Might be worth it waiting for the Tuono 660 instead?
Same concerns about reliability. My 'local' dealer is still over an hour from my house, and I just as soon never have to go there unless I'm in the neighborhood and feel like checking out the new inventory.

The pillion seat and pegs look fine to me, though. Maybe a little narrower seat, but slightly longer passenger peg mounts for a bit more leg room than the 650R:
1602451689842.png

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
If you're thinking on this bike to be ridden with a passenger....you're looking at the wrong bike! I just don't think they had "passenger" in mind when creating the RS660.

Top Bottom