Exhaust weight.

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
I removed my exhaust system today put it on the scales and as the forum informs its 10kilos. Holding it in my arms it did not seem massively heavy and I think as miweber said with it slung low there would be no point in changing the system for just the weight loss. So I am going to try and remove the cat and see how that turns out. ( I cannot justify the bucks for an underslung silencer ) I am hoping with cat removed and an easy fuelling module I might see 2hp.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
But 5lbs is only 5lbs, not an earth shattering amount or will hugely effecting handling like weight up higher up does or rotating mass like wheels.

The bike has plenty of power stock to accelerate and stop as it sits. If you can drop 10+ pounds you might begin to feel something but anything less is like typical swings people have in body weight, you won’t notice your bike handling different because you’re at your “winter” weight and not their “summer” weight.

Low mass won't affect handling, but weight is weight when is comes to acceleration and braking.

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
If weight saving is priority No.1 the 650s are already the wrong bikes to start with. Sure, If you are hunting lap times with with your GRP rocket every ounce counts.
But changing an exhaust on a 463 pound bike for around 600 - 1100 € just to save up to 10 pounds sounds like a horrible price to performance relation. I´d also not consider that as a factor when deciding which exhaust to buy.
I´d rather miss out on one or two pieces of cake during Christmas time. :wacky:

I might see 2hp.
Also nice to have. You WILL notice it, keyword "miracle of imagination" ;)

Chip

CB650F ABS
Oct 3, 2017
The most overlooked and cost effective way to shed a few pounds is to go to the gym and manage your calorie intake. Feel better and have a pocket full of cash!

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
When I am riding with half a tank of fuel its similar to a light exhaust lol. And in a better place. Maybe I should by a alloy fuel tank.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
So the bike is a little heavy who cares?It get's me out of trouble when i need her the most.You
ride in comfort compared to other bikes in the same class and the fuel economy is very good.
Please don't change her too much,she might look like a yamaha or something far worst.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Fuel weighs about 0.7kg per liter, so with the 17 liters that goes in our fuel tank, the fuel weighs about 12kg.
What's more important than the weight of the bike is that the bike's balanced fairly well. The bike's center of gravity is fairly low. Having the engine slanted slightly forward and the underslung exhaust both help to lower the CoG. The lower the center of gravity, the easier it is to handle a bike.

Top Bottom