• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Constantly Hitting Neutral (CBR 650f)

Soccerpj

CBR650F
Apr 30, 2022
Riding Since
I read some of the discussions and saw the vid by FogDucker about the shift support. Not sure if this falls under the false neutral, my last bike was a 600 f4i and I loved it. I've had this bike for about a year now and its a constant issue on hitting neutral. I recently cleaned the chain thinking maybe the chain was a bit dirty (I live in Arizona) but have had no change to the shifting273799360_723297995321981_4682226736793252065_n.jpg

Soccerpj

CBR650F
Apr 30, 2022
Riding Since
Have you tried adjusting the gear lever height?

J
I have, I was looking at this particular part, Billet Gear Shift Shaft Support. I was also thinking of getting whole new levers as the stock ones are still on there. Never had a bike that 2nd gear was so a monumental task to get into.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
The 650f box is a solid lump. When you want to change up to 2nd, tell it... Don't hint at it.

Also, changing up at around 19mph is clunky. Do it closer to 30 and see what happens.

When was the last oil change?

J

Soccerpj

CBR650F
Apr 30, 2022
Riding Since
The 650f box is a solid lump. When you want to change up to 2nd, tell it... Don't hint at it.

Also, changing up at around 19mph is clunky. Do it closer to 30 and see what happens.

When was the last oil change?

J
Around a 1000 miles, I just checked it today still looked new. I don’t ride it hard.

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
Have you checked your chain tension too? My gearchange always seems to go bad when the chain needs some attention

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
At only 1k miles she isn't even loosened up yet!

Hang in there, things get much nicer between 4 and 8k as it beds in.

I've just gone past 39k and unless I tickle the gear lever every change is solid.

J

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
I think it was 1k since the last oil change? Although I guess it could have been a garage queen!

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
I read some of the discussions and saw the vid by FogDucker about the shift support. Not sure if this falls under the false neutral, my last bike was a 600 f4i and I loved it. I've had this bike for about a year now and its a constant issue on hitting neutral. I recently cleaned the chain thinking maybe the chain was a bit dirty (I live in Arizona) but have had no change to the shifting
"Constant issue on hitting neutral" > What do you mean by this? on upshifts? downshifts?

Soccerpj

CBR650F
Apr 30, 2022
Riding Since
have you tried different boots/shoes? It May sound funny but I had this issue before adjusting the gear lever.
BTW is it false neutrals or the real deal?
It feels as if it drops back into neutral from second gear. I just installed one of those shift adapter and unless I’m missing something it cause me from 1st to 2nd gear do an additional shift through neutral. Basically when I shift from 1 to 2 it hits neutral before I can hit second image.jpg

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
What RPM are you shifting up to 2nd. If you're too low I've found that it will take a much more positive shift to fully engage 2nd gear. However, I've found that its mostly gone entirely if you're getting the RPM's up and shifting >4-5k

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
It feels as if it drops back into neutral from second gear. I just installed one of those shift adapter and unless I’m missing something it cause me from 1st to 2nd gear do an additional shift through neutral. Basically when I shift from 1 to 2 it hits neutral before I can hit second View attachment 12764
Your shifter arm is not on the shaft like it should be and there is a good chance you may have damaged the shaft putting it on the way you did. Please take it to a dealer to look at and have them assess the damage.

The arm should be flush on the shaft and the screw should ride in the groove. How you managed to jam it in like you did I have no idea because it’s a hardened shaft and a soft screw but you damaged the splines at a minimum.

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
Your shifter arm is not on the shaft like it should be and there is a good chance you may have damaged the shaft putting it on the way you did. Please take it to a dealer to look at and have them assess the damage.

The arm should be flush on the shaft and the screw should ride in the groove. How you managed to jam it in like you did I have no idea because it’s a hardened shaft and a soft screw but you damaged the splines at a minimum.
Always Always Always take a picture before doing any modes. Mike just gave you the answer :). you may need to change the arm if tightened to spec.

Soccerpj

CBR650F
Apr 30, 2022
Riding Since

It's flush, actually more flush then it was originally before I added this. Before I added the shift support the shift arm looked angle in and that was why I was thinking I was catching natural. It feels more sturdy now. I plan on taken it to a place for tires anyways but just never experienced this type of issue, I had an f4i previously

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
It's flush, actually more flush then it was originally before I added this. Before I added the shift support the shift arm looked angle in and that was why I was thinking I was catching natural. It feels more sturdy now. I plan on taken it to a place for tires anyways but just never experienced this type of issue, I had an f4i previously
Buddy, it’s not right. I’m trying to help you, its on wrong and the shaft is f-ed up.

To be clearer: the black shift arm needs to be flush (flat) with the shift shaft end. The large groove is where the screw goes through. The fact it’s all jacked up is why it won’t shift; believe me or don't, your call. But know it’s wrong.

I zoomed in on the pic you originally posted. I’m done helping if you’re not going to listen.1A3D66F2-45B3-487C-A5FF-EA80CEBCB5AF.jpeg

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
He's right. That last picture is how it should be. Yours is flat wrong now.

Something is going to be damaged once you take the bolt out (hopefully it's the bolt and not the shaft).

Take the arm off, read the service manual, check there is no in/out play on the shaft beyond about a 1/8 inch and refit the arm in the correct place with probably a new bolt.

J

Top Bottom