• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650F Akrapovic exhaust model advice

DoomGuy

CBR650F ABS
Jul 13, 2017
Barcelona
I’m considering to purchase an akrapovic exhaust for my 2017 CBR, and I would like to receive some advice on which model to purchase. For the looks and price I prefer the 2016 all metal one S-H6R12-HAFT. 2018 model S-H6R13-HEGEHT gives more performance but it also increases the weight, so I don’t know if it’s worth the extra money.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
No expert here, but if both are an option, take the one that looks/sounds best in your opinion. I'd bet my nuts that a difference in performance is negligable. If you care about 1 or 2hp in difference (because I guess that's what we're talking about), you shouldve bought a 600RR instead :)

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
The 2018 S-H6R13-HEGEHT definitely doesn't increase weight, it's 3.1kg lighter than stock and adds 4.7hp. Have a look at the technical specification of all Akra exhausts available for our bikes on their website.

S-H6R12-HAFT - https://www.akrapovic.com/#!/motorcycle/product/road/15813?brandId=30&modelId=735&yearId=4053

S-H6R13-HEGEHT - https://www.akrapovic.com/#!/motorcycle/product/road/20244?brandId=30&modelId=735&yearId=4861

The final variant below, does not meet EC & ECE Regulations, where-as the 2 above do.

S-H6R11-AFT - https://www.akrapovic.com/#!/motorcycle/product/road/15811?brandId=30&modelId=735&yearId=4861

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
According to those links the difference between the two exhaust in 0.1kw (which is 0.13hp) and 1.3kg. So yeah, pick the one that looks best :)

DoomGuy

CBR650F ABS
Jul 13, 2017
Barcelona
Thanks for the input guys, I just contacted akrapovic, another difference not stated in the web: the older model complies with Euro3, the new model with Euro4. Since my bike is Euro4 does anyone know if placing the older exhaust is going to be a problem for the safety and emission inspection?

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
This difference is irrelevant if you're considering buying a new exhaust. Manufacturers must ensure their models comply with euro3 and euro4 when new, euro4 also states the bike must continue to meet its emissions standard 12 months later. All these regs mean is, that when new our bikes meet EU standards imposed on them that production year.

Replacing the exhaust will not affect safety (though this is entirely dependent on quality of installer) but will affect the emissions, unless you equip your new akrapovic system with the optional catalytic converter:
https://www.akrapovic.com/#!/motorcycle/product/road/16594?brandId=30&modelId=735&yearId=4053

This will ensure that both, S-H6R12-HAFT and S-H6R13-HEGEHT remain compliant with emissions restrictions in your country. You cannot fit the cat to S-H6R11-AFT.

DoomGuy

CBR650F ABS
Jul 13, 2017
Barcelona
Thanks for the explanation Daniel. After further research, the link you provided is the catalytic converted that complies with Euro3 (part number P-KAT-040), and which is also included with S-H6R12-HAFT exhaust. The catalytic converter that complies with Euro4 has this part number P-KAT-063/1 and it's included with S-H6R13-HEGEHT model.

Perza

CBR650F
Feb 13, 2018
The cat is not included with the exhaust, bought S-H6R13-HEGEHT a while ago. You have to buy it separately. Unless you meant compatible...

DoomGuy

CBR650F ABS
Jul 13, 2017
Barcelona
Thank you for the advise, then the akrapovic site is a little bit misleading, since it isn't mentioned that the cat isn't included.

bobstrax

CB650F ABS
Oct 1, 2017
Lincolnshire
You will not need to worry about it until the bike is due it's first Inspection in 3 Years time.
If they do a Euro4 Emissions test....it will fail if it is not fitted with the H6R13 with CAT.....simple.
Some people keep a hold of their OEM unit and swap back for the Annual Test.
My IXIL is exactly the same and I had to make sure I got their Euro4 new version, I'm holding onto the OEM too...just in case.

DoomGuy

CBR650F ABS
Jul 13, 2017
Barcelona
I'll try to comply with the regulations and fit the corresponding Euro4 cat in order to avoid disassembling and assembling the OEM system in 3 years time. My only concern now is the PAIR valve removal, which I'm planing to do, I know that mostly it helps to comply with regulations in cold starts and when closing the throttle. So I guess it won't be a problem, will it?

DoomGuy

CBR650F ABS
Jul 13, 2017
Barcelona
Yesterday I installed the Akrapovik exhaust + catalytic converter (S-H6R12-HAFT + P-KAT-040) and I’m impressed with the looks, the power and the sound (decreasing order). Is it worth to pay +1100Eur for the system? Probably not, but I’m pleased. At the end I decided to keep the pair valve system since I don’t plan to fit a PCV and I’m concerned about emissions.
Just to update you, I was unable to fit the Euro4 Cat (P-KAT-063/1) to this exhaust model since it's longer than the P-KAT-040.

Mavrick

CB650F
Jul 15, 2018
What is the difference between the quad and single outlet on the Akrapovic? Is it just looks or is there something more to it that I'm not seeing?

How do you remove the DB killer in this pipe? Does the quad or single outlet get removed or is it something else that gets removed?

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
Quad exit is generally a road legal model you can fit the optional cat. converter into. Single exit does not have cat. option and is considered the 'race' variant.

Both DB killers are removable via a little alan head screw on the back of the exhaust, hidden under a small rubber grommet.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Guys, what are you doing about engine tune when you put the new exhaust on?
Search around a bit, lots of info here on it.

Generally, most of us are running the bike as is and letting the closed loop FI system take care of itself with no issues.

Some are running a PCV with an auto tune module and fewer yet have a PCV with a custom tune.

Your call on what you want to do, all work well on this bike.

Gabescbr650f

CBR650F
Jul 9, 2018
I will be posting a video on how mine sounds shortly. Don’t judge I reved the shit out the engine. Full akrapovic racing series exaust with single outlet. Db removed and tuned with a pc5

Top Bottom