ZX-4RR

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
I put down for one of those new ZX-4RR (400cc inline-4) bikes today. It revs over 15k, is rbw and has both qs+ab, and weighs 41 lbs less. Not sure if I will sell the CBR650R later or not, it's a good street bike, I've enjoyed it. Anyone else thinking the same? It's obviously not a straight trade, CBR has more torque, and more heft can be a comfort bonus flying down the freeway. CBR looks better, I never really cared much for the latest Kawasaki headlight design language.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
I've been waiting for the official announcement we got yesterday for months! It's going to be a sweet bike for sure, but I'm a little off put by the price. I don't know what I was expecting, but now seeing it at nearly $10K I'm thinking a slightly used CBR600RR might be a better value. I'll have to wait and see how the ergonomics feel once our dealerships have them before I make the final call.

Raginginferno22

CBR650R
Jan 28, 2023
Riding Since
I put down for one of those new ZX-4RR (400cc inline-4) bikes today. It revs over 15k, is rbw and has both qs+ab, and weighs 41 lbs less. Not sure if I will sell the CBR650R later or not, it's a good street bike, I've enjoyed it. Anyone else thinking the same? It's obviously not a straight trade, CBR has more torque, and more heft can be a comfort bonus flying down the freeway. CBR looks better, I never really cared much for the latest Kawasaki headlight design language.
You put down for it but, forgive me if I’m wrong, it sounds like you hate a lot about the kawi. So why? Just the weight savings?

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
You put down for it but, forgive me if I’m wrong, it sounds like you hate a lot about the kawi. So why? Just the weight savings?

Well, I really only have the CBR to own an inline-4 engine that revs without being over-powered. The zx4rr is going to rev higher and has bi-directional qs/ab and ride-by-wire. I'm not particularly invested into the Honda, my purchase was an impulse buy at the time. I don't really need any specific performance, and it's also not my long distance bike. So probably I would sell the CBR later if the zx4rr works out.

Right, so it's looking like the USA version will (also like Canada) be limited to 56 hp / 11500 rpms off the showroom floor, and will require a user flash right away to unlock 76 hp / 15K+ rpms. Not a budget buy, definitely for a niche crowd.

About weight, I actually am okay with 410-460 lbs or so, makes a nice road bike. Super light gets pushed around on the freeway, and I'm not a track racer.

Last edited:

Raginginferno22

CBR650R
Jan 28, 2023
Riding Since
Well, I really only have the CBR to own an inline-4 engine that revs without being over-powered. The zx4rr is going to rev higher and has bi-directional qs/ab and ride-by-wire. I'm not particularly invested into the Honda, my purchase was an impulse buy at the time. I don't really need any specific performance, and it's also not my long distance bike. So probably I would sell the CBR later if the zx4rr works out.

Right, so it's looking like the USA version will (also like Canada) be limited to 56 hp / 11500 rpms off the showroom floor, and will require a user flash right away to unlock 76 hp / 15K+ rpms. Not a budget buy, definitely for a niche crowd.

About weight, I actually am okay with 410-460 lbs or so, makes a nice road bike. Super light gets pushed around on the freeway, and I'm not a track racer.
Fair enough! Gotta like what you like 👍🏻

Bran

CBR650R ABS
Aug 31, 2022
uk
Riding Since
15,000+ revs is awsesome but not sure where I'd use that on a cool damp day in the north of england, the power has to be top end. I can't imagine being banked over on a hairpin in North Yorkshire at in excess 0f 10000 revs when I hit the debri inbetween car tyre tracks and expecting to stay up-right. it would be fun on a track like cadwell or oulton i guess.

My issue with modern sports bikes is 2000BHp is too much for the road, theres very few places round here I could use it whilst staying alive and/or keeping my license. Regarding the 650R, k7 and Aprillia 660, (bare with me) they have pretty optimum bhp for public roads, sure I'd love another 10-20 but in all honesty at that power output why do i need sports, dry, race and wet settings over than to say its got em?

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
I don't remember the exact numbers from GearingCommander assuming the Owner's Manual numbers are correct (but aren't always correct), but you should be able to bang the rev limiter in 1st gear around 55 mph. You will already be breaking all speed limits with 2nd gear.

Yeah I would agree that this bike doesn't need power modes. It's probably just there in their latest ecu, more work to take it out. I think the bike will cater to a niche crowd, and probably not broad appeal.

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
Confirmed the ecu flash does 16,500 rpms. The digital dash tach is full of sh-t and lies by ~5.3% lol, why Kawasaki why. We still don't have any US stock/flashed whp numbers.

Last edited:

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
Got the bike yesterday. The zx4rr has a definite sportsbike engine characteristic (vs the cbr650r) -- the little 400 is torque free under 8K and then comes alive around 9-10K. Whereas the Honda pushes nicely off the bottom with a nearly linear pull through the revs. Also I feel that the CBR throttle response and engine smoothness is much better, notably better in fact. The USA zx4rr is gimped to 56hp / 15200 rpms, so I'll be flashing to unlock the full 79hp / 16500 rpms. This is definitely a niche bike, I wouldn't run off and trade in your Honda unless you have specific reasons. Auto-blip works well in rapid fire, but oddly the quickshifter seems lethargic needing a minimum time between shifts, at least on mine. I had no such issue with the CBR quickshifter, it just worked the same way my Speed Triple / Ducati Monster worked too.

Last edited:

Bran

CBR650R ABS
Aug 31, 2022
uk
Riding Since
Thanks for the update, hope you have fun. as i said previously doe a bike with sub 100bhp need all the electronics? not on the road, maybe on track and even then only occassionally.

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
Seems like Graves is getting cold feet about recommending 16500 flashes, and is sugesting to me to expect lower. Although their test bike is running 16500 fine at the track.

Top Bottom