Welcome back - please login below. New here? It's quick & easy to register!

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

CBR650F Whistling/Gurgling type noise

M.L.

CBR650F ABS
Thread starter #1
All,

Hi!

...have a 2014 CBR650, hearing whistling/gurgling type noises n/around gas tank/cap 4 1st x...obviously bike is off.

...opened gas cap & has seemed 2 stopped, but was doing 4 @ least 1/2-hour...spoke 2 soon, has started back again...when open gas vapor hear a vacuum type noise, can't say I've heard it b4 either, although n garbage & may not hear because of noise when pumping gas...whistling type noise has stopped, now jus hear this hot water heater type sound every 10/sec, it last anywhere from 1 to 3/sec.

...when it was whistling, I sometimes pressed on gas cap & it stopped 4 awhile.

...due 4 a 12,000/mile service soon, 250/miles 2 go.

...thoughts?

...tks.

M.L. Mosley

miweber929

CBR650F
650F Alumnus
Staff
Have you recently lifted the tank or done any service to the bike? Anything we should know about?

My guess would the evap canister as Brammers Brammers mentioned or other pinched or malfunctioning fuel tank vent or hose. There should be a vent in the gas cap, then there should be one that runs from the ring around the cap to the bottom of the tank where it transitions to a hose under the bike (if you’re non-California, if you are in CA, it will be a series of hoses and vacuum lines that feed the round charcoal canister). Be sure both of those are not plugged and working.

Let us know what you find after checking those, a service manual will help out as well.

M.L.

CBR650F ABS
Thread starter #6
Have you recently lifted the tank or done any service to the bike? Anything we should know about?

My guess would the evap canister as Brammers Brammers mentioned or other pinched or malfunctioning fuel tank vent or hose. There should be a vent in the gas cap, then there should be one that runs from the ring around the cap to the bottom of the tank where it transitions to a hose under the bike (if you’re non-California, if you are in CA, it will be a series of hoses and vacuum lines that feed the round charcoal canister). Be sure both of those are not plugged and working.

Let us know what you find after checking those, a service manual will help out as well.
...back n Jul/Aug 2019, after purchase had serviced, but nothing that I was made aware of was done regarding tank.
...k, tks.

Robbymag

CBR650F ABS
Off track a bit but I had an issue with a car. Car was sucking petrol but couldn’t after a short drive car would chug as soon as I took petrol cap off big hiss fine again. Cause was a blocked vent / over flow pipe