• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

What is your technique to clean the chain without removing

StephaneCBR

CBR650F ABS
May 23, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Hi all, just cleaned up my chain and rear sprocket, what a pain. It took me a good hour to clean it using wd-40 degreaser and a brush. The thought part is to clean the inboard side of the rear sprocket. To do a perfect job I guess you really need to remove the chain. What is your technique ?

DRyker

Amateur
Jun 17, 2017
Arkansas
Hi all, just cleaned up my chain and rear sprocket, what a pain. It took me a good hour to clean it using wd-40 degreaser and a brush. The thought part is to clean the inboard side of the rear sprocket. To do a perfect job I guess you really need to remove the chain. What is your technique ?

I put it on the rear stand and spin the tire while using Honda chain cleaner and a cheap chain brush. I got the cleaner and lube combo kit for 12 bucks I think, otherwise I might use something else. Either way, I would never use WD40. You'll hear people on both sides of this debate, but I know for a fact WD40 harms the o-rings. WD is not good for rubber. In the end it's your choice, and honestly, chains might not last long enough for it to matter anyway, but I'm not gonna use it on mine.

As far as cleaning the inboard side of the rear sprocket, I can fit my brush back there and give the tire a few good spins. Then wash it all off with the water hose and let it dry in the sun.

When it comes to lubing, I never know how much to actually use so I probably over lube it. But same process, put it on the rear stand and spin the tire while spraying it down. I also usually stick a piece of cardboard in between the tire and the chain/sprocket just to make sure I don't get any on the tire. Like I said, I probably use way too much.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Same process as DRyker decribed. I tend to use an old cloth to wipe any dirt off the chain as well. I find I can apply more pressure by squeezing with my fingers than pushing a brush against it.

One thing you should never do is put your bike in gear and let the engine spin the rear wheel while working on the chain. It's a good way to lose fingers.

StephaneCBR

CBR650F ABS
May 23, 2015
Montreal, Canada
In fact, don't even have the key in it... Let alone the engine running. All it takes is you to knock the gear lever and you could get seriously hurt.

J

Never ever thought doing this. Just used the rear stand and turned the wheel as needed. Had to wash the rear, again, after the cleaning because using a brush is throwing dirt on the swingarm.

DRyker

Amateur
Jun 17, 2017
Arkansas
Motorcyclist magazine actually tested WD-40 on chain O-rings. The O-rings survived.

I don't agree with his testing method. WD40 will definitely not cause the O-rings to swell or the chain to combust, that's not the problem. The problem is WD40 will cause the rubber O-rings to harden. This makes them more brittle and less likely to seal. You've all seen old O-rings with flat spots in them, right? Sometimes when you remove old O-rings, they're fine. Other times, they have a flat spot worn all the way around them on the mating surfaces and they're close to a rounded square shape now. Of course, depending on how tight the fit is between the two mating pieces, this will happen either way. WD40 will speed up this process though as a side effect of making the O-rings harder and more brittle, making them less likely to seal.

Brittle O-rings on something that moves as much as a chain will cause them to crack, allowing moisture to get into the lubricant. After that, the next time to clean your chain with WD40, it'll do what it's designed to do. Penetrate. The WD40 will get into the lubricant and break down/displace the grease in your chain.

His testing methods are flawed, but his closing statement is accurate: Whatever you use on your chain is up to you.

I'm not saying that it'll for sure destroy your chain. I am saying that it is most definitely harmful for your chain, but might not make much of a difference to the overall life span of it depending on how often you apply the WD or how often you replace your chain.

Rocket Crotch

MotoGP
Oct 18, 2017
If it's really dirty then removing it is the best move, followed by soaking it in some kerosene then wiping it down to get off any dirt that's stuck on it. Anything short of that is going to result in dirt being trapped somewhere.

I use dry lube on my chains; o-rings keep the grease where it needs (inside the links), so most of the time I can just lift the rear, spin the wheel and use a brush to clean what little dirt there is...then just apply another coat of dry lube.

User2

CBR650F
Oct 23, 2018
I use the Honda chain cleaner and chain lube products my dealer sells.

I don’t have a rear stand so I clean the chain on the section between the front and rear sprockets then wipe with a rag. Then I roll the bike forward a couple of feet and repeat. Once I’ve cleaned the entire chain, I repeat the process with the chain lube and a clean rag rolling the bike back a few feet as I lube each section.

I never ride in wet conditions and I clean & lube the chain about every 300 miles. The chain never gets very dirty and since lube/cleaner are cheaper than new chain and sprockets I don’t care if I am doing it more often than necessary.

Ravana

MotoGP
Aug 7, 2017
SOMD
I was using Motul chain cleaner until I tried kerosene. Nothing works as good at cleaning a chain as kerosene.

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
Kerosene sips through the O-Ring and ruins the seal and the factory grease gradually. safest option is WD-40/ipone Cleaner + chain brush. Then I lube it with PJ1 Blue.

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
Useful videos:

Yes watched about a month ago and tried the gear oil based on this video.

Lots of sling and stink from burning on exhaust.

I will go back to wax next cleaning.

It's more about which will prevent rust than being a lubricant...lubricant already in sealed o-rings.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
' Kerosene sips through the O-Ring and ruins the seal and the factory grease gradually ' - I thought Honda recommended kerosene (what I call paraffin ) for cleaning the chain !

GJP

CB650R ABS
Apr 25, 2019
I put mine on the ABBA stand, and clean with an organic biodegradable degreaser (made with citrus I believe) spin back wheel by hand and use a 3 sided chain brush to clean, then wipe with a cloth and apply dry lube. I don't do much wet weather riding.

Prefer the dry lube as does not seem to attract dirt and grit. I have concerns this could act as a grinding paste.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
First off my CB is too new to have it's first chain clean and lube!

With that said, all of my bikes have gotten the HondaPro Chain cleaner and then I use the BelRay brand lube. I've heard all the stories of using WD-40, Kerosene, motor oil, etc... But since my very first, chain-driven Honda, for me it's been HondaPro cleaner and BelRay Super Clean lubricant. Oh, and a Grunge Brush!

My method...warm up the chain a little. rear stand, spray the chain with cleaner. Let it sit for a minute then take the grunge brush to it, getting both the top and bottom of the chain - but don't over-do it! (Too much brushing may actually damage the O-rings!) Next, I take a microfiber cloth and wipe down the chain and try to get in between the sprocket teeth. Then I spray on the BelRay.

BTW...since you're working on the chain, check the chain slack AND tires!!! One time I was spinning the tire and noticed a nail in it! Had I not checked the tire while cleaning the chain things could have gotten ugly when I rode away!

bel_ray_super_clean_chain_lube_400m_l_750x750.jpg

pro_17_cha_cle-1796120001.jpg

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
Tooth brush and Diesel to clean. I got diesel from a fellow rider who filled his motorcycle with a fully tank of the stuff. I drained it and keep it around for de-greasing things.

Old Rice cooker to heat up gear oil, then I apply with a stiff brush.

download.png

753027.jpg

Top Bottom