• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Gear What helmet(s) do you wear?

BT67

CB650R
Apr 24, 2019
Have recently swapped my HJC IS17 for a Shark Spartan. Tha HJC was a great helmet. Think the Spartan has the edge on it - probably because it is a slightly better fit. Have gone from a medium in the HJC to a small in the Shark. Was amazed how different my bike sounded with a different lid.
Atb
Trev

BT67

CB650R
Apr 24, 2019
So many great looking lids out there - difficult to choose. Even when you think you've made the right choice you never really know till you take your bike for a decent ride. Same with jackets and gloves etc. Can become a very expensive hobby if you're not careful!!!

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
My new helmet is a Shoei RF-1200 Recounter with the blue iridium visor:
IMG_20190914_193734330.jpg

I like the looks of it, it vents great, and it matches my Rev'It Vapor 2 jacket really well. It fits great all around my head, but the wind buffeting noise above 40mph is something I never experienced with my older (and ill-fitting) HJC. It's not bad enough to warrant a chnage, but it was unexpected. I might see if it's possible to bolster the lower pads below my ears a bit, because the wind noise dissapears entirely when I cover that space with my hands.

BT67

CB650R
Apr 24, 2019
Lovely looking lid. A great match to your jacket and bike. Love that co-ordinated look!
Had a similar issue with my helmet - a Shark Spartan. Was able to order slightly thicker cheek pads which will hopefully help. Maybe Shoei do something similar?
Cheers
Trev

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I bought my helmet in 2016 but recently found out it was manufactured in 2014. Should I get a new one now because it's 5 years old?
I wouldn’t worry. Most manufactures have switched to a wearing it 5 years time frame from the 5 years of manufacture.

I wear it and not give it a second thought.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Heck, I have helmets from almost 20 years ago and I'd wear them now if I had to! I mean, they're heavy and noisy but I wouldn't fear their integrity. Even a helmet can only do so much.

replicantz

CB650R ABS
Sep 24, 2019
Using a Shoei Neotec I here for about two years now.

Recent modular helmets are really practical for daily use, no doubt about it.
But before making a purchase keep in mind the drawbacks when compared with full face ones.

- Offers less protection in the chin zone. Because it has more moving parts, in case of collision it's prone to break in those connections
- More weight added. Generally they are more heavy than full face helmets.
- Can be really noisy! Top brands like Shoei and Schubert work hard to mitigate noise income and they do a pretty good job. But mid level to budget brands are terrible, way too noisy by default.
- Check homologation against your country laws. Most of the models are NOT officially approved to be used open while riding (like a Jet helmet). Few respect that in reality, but still...

Those are just some guidelines, do your research of course ;)

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
I’m riding most of the time with my Nolan with N-com communication system and black visor
And sometimes I use my Simpson

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
I just bought a Gmac evo flip up helmet and it is unbearably noisey. If I put my hand over the left side of the helmet when riding
(my right hand is on the throttle ) the left side goes quiet . I am thinking I will have to tape over the joint in the helmet to see if that cures it (but defeats the object of having a flip up helmet of course !)

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I just bought a Gmac evo flip up helmet and it is unbearably noisey. If I put my hand over the left side of the helmet when riding
(my right hand is on the throttle ) the left side goes quiet . I am thinking I will have to tape over the joint in the helmet to see if that cures it (but defeats the object of having a flip up helmet of course !)

Kind of would defeat the purpose of a modular helmet. Truth be told ALL helmets are noisy! Some are just "less" noisy. Get some good ear plugs and wear them no matter what helmet you're using!

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Kind of would defeat the purpose of a modular helmet.- yes ,that's what I said . Truth be told ALL helmets are noisy! Some are just "less" noisy. Get some good ear plugs and wear them no matter what helmet you're using!
- I do wear earplugs.
cheers anyway

Ego Zarolho

CB650R
Dec 9, 2019
LS2 Vector. Oval head, medium size. It’s OK, but today I made the mistake of sticking my skull inside a Shoei NXR... PLUSH!!! Perfect fit and feel! Going back tomorrow to buy me one. Just sold one of my last guitars to raise the money for it...

ray

CBR650R ABS
Aug 30, 2019
Riding Since
HJC RPHA 11 comfortable looks good love it but i think it would be quieter to ride without a helmet (; (yes i wear ear plugs)

ray

CBR650R ABS
Aug 30, 2019
Riding Since
best to avoid that one then .
it all depends on your riding style and bike the helmet is great for what it was designed for but when you ride 140-160 kph on average ear plugs are a must no meter the helmet but for a more up right bike i would not recommend it because off it aerodynamic characteristics.
( from my own experience its very un comfortable on upright naked bike)

Top Bottom