• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's What did you do with your 650 today?

Cb650fa

CB650F ABS
Jun 10, 2020
Riding Since
Fitted my Akrapovic exhaust today.
Removed the branding, I prefer the clean OEM look. Hope to test ride over the weekend..

Also, I managed to loosen the O2 cable tie/clip and slide the cable to avoid using normal cable ties, this keeps the cable in place.

20210427_165909.jpg20210427_165914.jpg

Last edited:

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
Last fall my bike was blown over by a particularly strong Chinook wind while it was parked along the side of the road as I stopped to explore a trail in the Wet Mountains. Had I not seen it happen, I would have assumed some jerk hit my bike and knocked it over. But as I was walking back to my bike, I heard the wind coming down through the pass and then a few seconds later felt the blast, and saw it push my bike upright from the kickstand. It lingered there, bolt upright for a moment, as I was sprinting back and hoping to grab it before it fell. Unfortunately, it tipped over onto the right side just as I was still a couple of feet away. Thankfully, no real harm except for a cracked fairing. Or so I thought.

I replaced the cracked fairing (only $105, btw) and have been riding it the past five or six months around town without issue. Except this past weekend, while at the track, I noticed it was just a little "off". The front end had a slight wobble at speed that was really only evident with a loose grip on the bars. The bike also seemed to tip in for left turns easier than right. I figured it might have been my preference for left turns making it easier, but as the day went on, I could tell the bike just behaved a bit different.

So I decided to check the alignment last night. I did the string method as outlined here: https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/12/...to-use-string-for-motorcycle-wheel-alignment/

With the front wheel parallel to the rear, it was off-center and the top triple was slightly crooked. With the bars straight, the measure between the string and the leading and trailing edge of the front rim was off by 5mm, and each measure different from the same measure on the opposite side of the rim by 9-10mm. The previous fall had likely left my bike slightly crabbed.

After loosening everything on the front end except the top triple clamp bolts, performing some bike CPR to compress the front forks repeatedly, and then tightening it all back up, I strung it up again. Checking the alignment again, and moving the rear axle's right side adjusting bolt in by four 'flats' from equal measure to the end of the swingarm, it's now lined up damn near perfect. The front tire is dead center within 1-2mm, and straight.
IMG_20210426_182610286.jpg

It's a bit of a tedious process, but worth it. Looking back at my notes of measures, I made five iterations of adjustment and re-measure before it was finally set. Hijacking a helper makes it go quicker. Once I explained to my teenagers that as long as the bike was waiting to get the alignment done I would have to drive my truck to work, and therefore they couldn't drive my truck to school, they became very eager to help.

So remember to check your alignment if you ever happen to drop your bike, or it just gets blown over in a 100+mph wind gust (it could be so much worse:

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
DIY license plate bracket....couldn't find anything online that would be suitable for integrated taillight. I will paint matte black later:

Attachments

• 20210428_180145.jpg
    20210428_180145.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210428_181341.jpg
    20210428_181341.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Inked20210428_181500_LI.jpg
    Inked20210428_181500_LI.jpg
    910.1 KB · Views: 29

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
Took the bike to the track yesterday. It was awesome. Will post a video soon.
Your bike track purpose or you track prep every time? I guess the biggest pain would be flushing coolant.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Your bike track purpose or you track prep every time? I guess the biggest pain would be flushing coolant.
Neither.

This wasn't a high level track day with impossible expectations or something. It was actually a track training, aimed at people of all levels of experience, for those who have never ridden their bike on a track before, all the way up to those with lots of experience but who want to hone their skills. Important to note: only road-legal bikes were allowed, and no slick tyres.

I first did this training last year and again yesterday. So we didn't go incredibly fast, although the instructor said he liked that we were had a good pace and we actually swapped positions with a group that was supposed to be faster but ended up being slower than us. It was all about exploring body positioning and trying to mimic to front rider (instructor's) lines as closely as possible. Stuff like braking points, what gear you should be in and stuff like that wasn't something that was discussed. That comes into play when you get to the more experienced groups.

TRogers91

CB650R ABS
Apr 22, 2021
Riding Since
Fitted my Akrapovic exhaust today.
Removed the branding, I prefer the clean OEM look. Hope to test ride over the weekend..

Also, I managed to loosen the O2 cable tie/clip and slide the cable to avoid using normal cable ties, this keeps the cable in place.
- It looks much better without the branding. Do you find the Akrapovic system a lot louder than standard? I'm debating buying one myself as I love the look of them over the competition, however I have read mixed reviews on the noise, some say they are too loud, and for me mainly riding back roads through villages, I think this may be an issue. ? .

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
- It looks much better without the branding. Do you find the Akrapovic system a lot louder than standard? I'm debating buying one myself as I love the look of them over the competition, however I have read mixed reviews on the noise, some say they are too loud, and for me mainly riding back roads through villages, I think this may be an issue. ? .
The only time an Akra is too loud is if you run it without the DB killer in it or if you buy a knockoff. Leave the DB plug in and it’s very livable day to day.

Tyjamo

CB650F ABS
Apr 15, 2021
Riding Since
I bought my '18 F with an Akrapovic already fitted. The stock exhaust was included. Immediately when I first rode the bike I liked it (the exhaust tone). It still has the baffle in, and does not have a cat inside. I removed the Akra and installed the stocker for the simple reason to avoid any displeasure while transferring (and inspection) ownership. Truth is I like them both. Glad to have them both. Quite easy to swap. The Akra with the baffle IN is fantastic. Not too loud, definitely loud enough. At first I thought it would be fun to remove the baffle just to play. But having read about the difficulties of removing it and especially replacing it, and reading up on how loud it actually is, I decided to leave it alone. I definitely don't want it louder. The Akra is beautiful. The best looking one in my opinion, best sound I've heard. Excellent build quality. Very happy to have it. Also happy to have the stock one which I intend to use at a later date for touring. By the way the copper crush washers here in Thailand are 90 THB each ($3USD). Akra also fits seamlessly with Storm belly pan. Will post pics when I get the cowl back from the paint shop next week.

victorkkq

CBR650F
Oct 30, 2018
I bought my '18 F with an Akrapovic already fitted. The stock exhaust was included. Immediately when I first rode the bike I liked it (the exhaust tone). It still has the baffle in, and does not have a cat inside. I removed the Akra and installed the stocker for the simple reason to avoid any displeasure while transferring (and inspection) ownership. Truth is I like them both. Glad to have them both. Quite easy to swap. The Akra with the baffle IN is fantastic. Not too loud, definitely loud enough. At first I thought it would be fun to remove the baffle just to play. But having read about the difficulties of removing it and especially replacing it, and reading up on how loud it actually is, I decided to leave it alone. I definitely don't want it louder. The Akra is beautiful. The best looking one in my opinion, best sound I've heard. Excellent build quality. Very happy to have it. Also happy to have the stock one which I intend to use at a later date for touring. By the way the copper crush washers here in Thailand are 90 THB each ($3USD). Akra also fits seamlessly with Storm belly pan. Will post pics when I get the cowl back from the paint shop next week.
I started with my stock then changed to Akra after 1 year. For me, I don't like the stock at all cause it is more of a "hissing" sound.
It was day and night, as Akra produce a very "basey" sound. It makes my riding experience more emotional and riding never been the same since. My baffle is still IN, cause I prefer not too loud. I have heard my friend's bike with the baffle OUT, it is much louder but the base is more "scattered". It looks great, with positive consequence of 4.6kg weight reduction and performance improved. Overall it is worth every dime spent and no regrets. :)

Last edited:

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
That's what I have and with the db killer in you still get a decent sound. Much better than stock any way. With the db killer out it's an animal.

Mine is out and has been for a while and I love it but off throttle around 6k it's ear bleeding, even with ear plugs in. You can ride it more quietly by keeping the revs low but I do think I might put it back in to make the longer rides a bit more tolerable.

Top Bottom