• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's What did you do with your 650 today?

GregTheWalrus3

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Riding Since
Nah, they didn’t start doing that until after I moved away. I’m in Minneapolis, I can still hit them at times when I run the border river roads or do trips in the state but haven’t bothered. No place to put it even if I did earn it!!!!

Ahh ok that makes sense,.. I actually earned the patch last summer on the Grom! Did a group ride organized by my local dealer where we hit 10 Rustic Roads in 1 day... It was about a 200 mile trip and still the longest I’ve ever taken the Grom on a single ride!!

At 25 Roads, they’ll send you a certificate... Hoping to complete that milestone on the CB!!! 👍

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
It can corrode / damage the paint in some cases. My old roommate's car had a nasty rust spot near the fuel cap from gas drips (to be fair, he was not the most...fastidious person when it came to cleaning it off). It can also do a number on any decals or films you might have on the body work.
I wax the the area as soon as I get home if I spill petrol on the tank when filling up.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Thought I would refurbish my old stock exhaust system today, not a bad result.
I had my 2018 exhaust system replaced by Honda under warranty and it wasn't anything like as bad as that. Anyway, you have made a good job of it, what did you use ?

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Too hot to ride the bike today, just putting the gear on and walking to the garage would have me in a sweat !

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
Today I loaded up my bike into the bed of my truck after a 2,256 mile motorcycle trip to Pike's Peak, The Million Dollar Highway in Ouray, CO, Moab, UT, Zion National Park, and The Grand Canyon. It was a wonderful trip. Warning, pic heavy post, so click the thumbnails to see better pics.

The first stop was PIke's Peak. The altitude really reduced the bike's power output. It had no power at all at an idle. The idle speed was lower than normal too. I guess that's to be expected at 14,000 feet. There is way less pressure, so way less air for the bike to use. There were some wildfires in Arizona, so the view was a bit hazy due to the smoke, but still worth the trip.

This is the road winding up the mountain. Pretty steep and plenty of traffic so it's not a fast ride.
Road going up Pikes Peak.JPG
Once you get on top, you're greeted with views like this one. It would have been nicer on a clearer day. Still, I can't complain.
View from top of Pikes Peak.JPG
On the way back down, as we were passing a parking lot, we got mooned!
Pronghorn moon!.JPG

Overall, Pikes Peak is definitely worth the ride, but it's not as nice as The Million Dollar Highway. We headed straight from Colorado Springs to Ouray. It's a cute little town. This is the view walking down the street. It's a postcard worthy town.
Ouray Street.JPG
There is a waterfall on the southwest corner of town. It's got a nice view of the city too! You can see the town from above and get a better view of the mountains it's situated between. Those little rooftops are buildings in Ouray.
Ouray from above.JPG
The south end of Ouray is where the best part of The Million Dollar Highway is. It takes you over a mountain pass to the town of Silverton. It's a nice curvy road with steep cliffs on both sides of you and no guardrails. It's a hell of a ride! Here's a very typical view of what the road looks like in a straight section.
Ouray Million Dollar Highway, classic view.JPG
And here's another view of the road. Coming out of a left turn still leaned over fairly well, and you can already see the sharp right turn ahead. Plenty of switchbacks!
Ouray left lean, road turning right.JPG
This road is full of rocky cliffs and no guardrails. Wonderful ride, but dangerous!
Ouray rocky cliffs, no guardrails.JPG

After our stop in Ouray, we went over to Moab Utah for some 4x4 off road action! Tons of fun. One of hte trails we went on leads to the Gemini Bridges. It's a pair of natural bridges overlooking a nice canyon. They look like 1 bridge from the side, but when you hike to them, you realize that it's actually two side by side. Kinda like they used to be 1 bridge, but the center broke and fell making two.
Gimini Bridges, side view.JPG
I got a panoramic shot while up there. Sadly, the file is too big so I resized it down until the forum let me post it. Hopefully it still looks good. The view around the bridges is awesome!
Gimini Bridges, Pano 3.JPG

And since the forum will only allow 10 pics per post, I'll have to make another post with the rest of the trip.

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
Here is a pic of the Gemini Bridges from above, so that you can see it's actually two bridges and not just one.
Gemini Bridges Top View.JPG

After Moab, we headed to Zion National Park. Unlike most canyons, Zion is oriented inside the canyon looking up, rather than on the rim looking down. That makes for a very interesting experience. We hiked up the Virgin River to The Narrows. That's the river that carved out the canyon. The water was nice and cool and once again, the views were great! Pictures were difficult to get because of all the water, but we got a few.

This is another couple of people hiking up the river. It's a typical view of what the hike is like.
Zion up the river.JPG
Once you get a few miles up, you come to a fork in the path where a secondary stream feeds the primary river. It's a good place to stop for a few minutes and get some pics. As you can see, it's a popular stop.
Zion at the fork.JPG

After Zion, we headed down to the Grand Canyon. We were tired from the hiking in Zion. We also got rained on pretty hard on the way. We weren't really in the mood to hike, so we took it easy. The Grand Canyon is pretty big. We really weren't up for a hike from rim to rim, so we just checked out the south rim. In case you were wondering, this is what the Grand Canyon looks like.
Grand Canyon (1).JPG
Grand Canyon (2).JPG

It was a great trip. Took us just under 2 weeks to make the full circle. We started in Albuquerque then headed to Pikes Peak, then returned to Albuquerque after the Grand Canyon. 2,256 miles added to the bikes odometers. I made the trip with my nephew. We had my bike and his VFR800. Both bikes did very well, even though they both had a little trouble breathing up on Pikes Peak. Heck, I had trouble breathing up there so I can't hold that against the bikes.

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
The first stop was PIke's Peak. The altitude really reduced the bike's power output. It had no power at all at an idle. The idle speed was lower than normal too. I guess that's to be expected at 14,000 feet. There is way less pressure, so way less air for the bike to use. There were some wildfires in Arizona, so the view was a bit hazy due to the smoke, but still worth the trip.

Did you ride to the summit of Pikes Peak? I didn't think it was open yet, except for the shuttle from the mile 16 lot.

Looks like a great ride, thanks for posting all the pics.

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
Did you ride to the summit of Pikes Peak? I didn't think it was open yet, except for the shuttle from the mile 16 lot.

Looks like a great ride, thanks for posting all the pics.
The summit is semi open. There is a little bit of parking up there, but you've got to get there really early to get it. We stopped at the 16 mile lot and took the shuttle the last 3 miles. We got the obligatory donuts at the summit house, which is still open. They were, meh.

GregTheWalrus3

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Riding Since
Just over 2 months now and I’ve put down almost 2,000 miles on this beauty, always makes me grin every time I twist that throttle open!! A couple choice photos from my ride yesterday...

5E0A50D5-5301-4CA3-ADAD-73A43CAD0F85.jpeg
Wide open field on a farm on one of Wisconsin’s Rustic Roads (near Lake Geneva area)

9DA60D3F-C460-4635-9C61-3639E9E7B768.jpeg
I was heading home right as the sun set (luckily heading mostly East/South so not constantly blinded by the light!) Taken at a forest preserve in my local area

Last edited:

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
The summit is semi open. There is a little bit of parking up there, but you've got to get there really early to get it. We stopped at the 16 mile lot and took the shuttle the last 3 miles. We got the obligatory donuts at the summit house, which is still open. They were, meh.
Ha, yeah I agree with you about the donuts. The only time they taste special is after you've spent half the day hiking to the top. Then it's a nice treat before heading back down.

sdmichael

CBR650F ABS
Feb 10, 2019
San Diego, CA
Riding Since
I took mine into the shop today. The seat latch is still having trouble and doesn't always latch properly. Getting the parts replaced which hopefully solves it once and for all. I am also hoping it would be covered under warranty as it seems a defective part. It is still fairly new and has had this problem for quite some time, which I have made known to the dealer. We'll see what happens.

sdmichael

CBR650F ABS
Feb 10, 2019
San Diego, CA
Riding Since
Took the bike in on Monday. Got the bike back yesterday. The warranty covered the seat latch, thankfully. Now it works like it should. While I was there, I got the chain serviced and had the turn signals fixed as well. Now just shy of 20,000 miles (40 miles to be exact) since February 2019.

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
Crashed the bike yesterday during a moment of insanity. In all those years, I never damaged a bike so much like I did yesterday! It was doomsday and I was thrown over the handlebar and landed face down on the ground. After a couple of minutes and some people around me, I was up on my feet and looked at my bike (Blood was dripping down on the ground) and the only thing that crossed my mind was, could I still ride it home 🤔. A nice girl pointed at my helmet an grabbed her phone, she wanted to call a ambulance. I took my helmet of an than I realized that my face was bleeding (apparently my glasses had cut in to my nose and face) nothing really serious, just a lot of blood. After cleaning up my face with the help of a friendly bystander the bleeding stopped and I picked up my bike and put it on the side stand. After about two hours and a couple of phone calls later I was already standing at the dealer discussing how to fix the bike, what parts needed to be replaced/fixed. The list is long very long and my mechanic wanted to be sure there where no hidden defects and told me today that the front of the frame is still okay and that they can fix the bike. Today I realized how lucky I am, the only injuries I have are some nasty cuts in my nose and sore muscles, arms mostly. This could be way more serious! Some parts that need to be replaced to fix the bike are: radiator, tank, exhaust, foot pegs, rear brake, complete steering assembly, air intake, engine parts like clutch cover, foot brake assembly and more, what a day

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
Glad you're here to tell about it! So, what happened?

I was just having a nice ride and in the meantime I was testing my just installed QS and the gear shift shaft support that I put on the bike. During cornering I felt something hitting my left boot and heard a strange noise. Because they just installed my QS I thought that something broke or came loose regarding the QS. Than I made a stupid mistake by looked down to see what was going on beneath there 😕. In that split second I hit the curb and the rest is history. What the ...... was I thinking to inspecting my left side of the bike during cornering 👎. So the crash was completely my fault. I still don’t know what hit my boot. By the way, the gear shift shaft support is a real improvement, you can clearly feel the difference during shifting 👍.
08F77241-16ED-45CF-B2F5-568A63AAEC42.jpeg
5D9B8DA7-C8A6-4ABE-BAC7-B15267911F89.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom