• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's What did you do with your 650 today?

GregTheWalrus3

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Riding Since
Dankotaru @Dankotaru very cool!! Where is that castle located? Also does that guy have a set goal to finish or just plan to keep building?? I can’t even imagine doing all that work by hand, especially if it’s just one guy...

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
Dankotaru @Dankotaru very cool!! Where is that castle located? Also does that guy have a set goal to finish or just plan to keep building?? I can’t even imagine doing all that work by hand, especially if it’s just one guy...
It's about an hour south of Canyon City, Colorado, along 165. He actually has a website with pics and directions, which cracks me up because he's a pretty anti-technology guy:

Yep, just one guy and all by hand. When I first visitied him, I got to see the tracks and trellis he built to carry the stone up to the second story, where he would unload and place them all one by one. He had a dream to build his own castle, and he did it. Complete with a fire breathing dragon. Now it's a local monument of sorts.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
quote - 'Clyde shipbuilders profited, too. Fraser recounted how at one point no fewer than 42 ships were being built by Clyde yards specifically for blockade-running, including the “Flamingo” class of shallow-draft paddlers, reputedly the fastest paddle steamers ever built. Denny built 20 blockade-runners, warships and privateers. In 1864 Scotts of Greenock built five 200-foot steamers for the Confederacy, four of which were lost on their first run (Scotts’ contribution to the Confederate cause was later wiped from the company’s official history). '
The Waverley is the only surviving sea going paddle steamer and still operates on the Clyde . It was used as a blockade runner. I didn't know Britain was 'involved' in the American civil until I found out about the Waverley when I was holiday in Scotland a few years ago. Another example of what bastards we were I suppose ,as everybody wants to remind us nowadays it seems !

GregTheWalrus3

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Riding Since
Just got home from my first night ride with the CB... Started out awesome, but unfortunately ended with a punctured rear tire, waiting in the back of a cop car for the tow truck to show up at 2am, and a very sad car ride home courtesy of my wonderful parents....

Sadly, my baby will be out of commission for awhile. Dealers are all closed for 4th of July and aren’t open Sundays or Mondays so earliest they can even get it back to the shop will be Tues, then who knows how long to get a new tire fitted since they’ve been really busy lately...

Oh well, all things considered it could’ve been much worse. I was going 60mph+ so could’ve easily been a catastrophic blowout. Within several minutes of being stopped on the shoulder (on a pitch black rural road) there was no air left in the tire at all so I’m thinking the puncture is pretty bad. Luckily a police officer from the next town over just happened to see me as he was turning around to get back into town & was nice enough to stay there with me and help. He’s a biker too so we just talked about bikes (he took his Harley on a trip to Alaska once!) while waiting for the tow truck to arrive which helped calm me down because I was freaking out a bit. The tow truck owner was a biker too (even owned a couple rare 40’s/50’s Harley’s) so he was real nice and made sure to take care in getting my bike hooked up!!

As I drink a beer on my porch writing this, I’m really thanking my lucky stars to be back home safe... I was in good company tonight (thank you Officer Steve!!!) and I’m just glad everything will be ok. I hope it isn’t too expensive but I’ll just think about that later when the time comes to sort it out haha

Anyway, several valuable lessons learned tonight:
1. I will be buying a tire patch kit and learning how to use it ASAP. Not sure if it would’ve done any good tonight considering the pitch-blackness and how seemingly bad the puncture is, but can’t hurt to have one with you at all times!!
2. Remind your family you love them every chance you get — who else would wake up in the middle of the night to come pick you up an hour away from home?!?

Also, I should probably hold off on any more night rides for awhile haha...
5E4F9468-6813-4B1F-BA8A-B49C9529E41E.jpeg

(Sorry for the novel, I can’t sleep and nothing else to do....)

Last edited:

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Just got home from my first night ride with the CB... Started out awesome, but unfortunately ended with a punctured rear tire, waiting in the back of a cop car for the tow truck to show up at 2am, and a very sad car ride home courtesy of my wonderful parents....

Sadly, my baby will be out of commission for awhile. Dealers are all closed for 4th of July and aren’t open Sundays or Mondays so earliest they can even get it back to the shop will be Tues, then who knows how long to get a new tire fitted since they’ve been really busy lately...

Oh well, all things considered it could’ve been much worse. I was going 60mph+ so could’ve easily been a catastrophic blowout. Within several minutes of being stopped on the shoulder (on a pitch black rural road) there was no air left in the tire at all so I’m thinking the puncture is pretty bad. Luckily a police officer from the next town over just happened to see me as he was turning around to get back into town & was nice enough to stay there with me and help. He’s a biker too so we just talked about bikes (he took his Harley on a trip to Alaska once!) while waiting for the tow truck to arrive which helped calm me down because I was freaking out a bit. The tow truck owner was a biker too (even owned a couple rare 40’s/50’s Harley’s) so he was real nice and made sure to take care in getting my bike hooked up!!

As I drink a beer on my porch writing this, I’m really thanking my lucky stars to be back home safe... I was in good company tonight (thank you Officer Steve!!!) and I’m just glad everything will be ok. I hope it isn’t too expensive but I’ll just think about that later when the time comes to sort it out haha

1. I will be buying a tire patch kit and learning how to use it ASAP. Not sure if it would’ve done any good tonight considering the pitch-blackness and how seemingly bad the puncture is, but can’t hurt to have one with you at all times!!
2. I should ALWAYS bring the cigarettes with, even if the plan is just a short ride with no stops... Can’t even describe how badly I was craving one during this whole ordeal lol
3. Remind your family you love them every chance you get — who else would wake up in the middle of the night to come pick you up an hour away from home?!?

Also, I probably won’t be going for any more night rides for awhile haha...
View attachment 7606

(Sorry for the novel, I can’t sleep and nothing else to do....)
Sorry about the tyre but a tyre can be replaced ! Best advice ,forget the cigarettes, stop smoking.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida

Welcome to the life of motorcycling!!! It's not always what happens...but what you LEARNED from it! Try being broke down out of state!

I always have a small tire patch kit in my top case. A cheap $10 pump from Walmart, and a Slime patch kit. (At least you're not on a tubed tire!) I also keep a tool kit I made up that has a small flash light.

And I'll keep preaching about the No Mar Motorcycle Tire Changer. If motorcycling is your life then spending the $$$ on one of those is priceless!

***If you can get your tire off you can bring it down to Cycle Gear and they'll mount a new one. I know they're opened over the weekend.

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
And I'll keep preaching about the No Mar Motorcycle Tire Changer. If motorcycling is your life then spending the $$$ on one of those is priceless!

I have not heard of this before, but now that I've watched some videos, I'm interested. Might be my next big tool purchase... thanks for the recommendation!

Uncle Meat

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
May 11, 2020
London
Riding Since

I have been using this kit for a few years now. Works everytime.
Plenty of youtoob vids on how to use it.

51FJTNYiqdL._AC_.jpg

sdmichael

CBR650F ABS
Feb 10, 2019
San Diego, CA
Riding Since
Went and bought the rear seat cowl. Should have when I got the bike but alas. Looks good though! Also, unrelated and before I got the seat thing, apparently it goes 123 mph. Empty, straight roads can be fun at times. So, twice I've gone "really fast".
20200709_174656.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
May 11, 2020
London
Riding Since
Fitted my newly powder coated exhaust shield. (I really like the standard exhaust note)
I went with powder coating over Hydro dipping as the chap said it can withstand higher tempretures. (same price)
Finish is 'Silver true weave carbon effect'
I am over the moon with the results. Just gives my bike a sleeker look.

cowl-1.jpgcowl-2.jpgcowl-3.jpgcowl-4.jpg

Last edited:

GregTheWalrus3

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Riding Since
Got the CB back in action today!! Picked it up from the dealership then went out for a 150 mi run to scrub in that new rear tire!

Got rained on by a passing shower right from the gate, but it dried out and was beautiful & mostly sunny the rest of the way!

Turned over 1000 miles on the odometer today as well (though I would’ve done that last week had it not been for the punctured tire — odometer was @ 997 at time of incident) Did a nice mix of heavy-throttle sections with a few Rustic Roads thrown in for some relaxing fun... Lots of beautiful scenery along the way. Here’s a couple of my favorites from today:

D73810BD-A15C-4BA9-BB5C-3B316275AD53.jpeg
There’s tons of cool barns around these rural roads, and all of them are unique...
7E74EE84-3878-4A9E-B1BB-48F9A9685318.jpeg
On some random county road, found this super cool garage/barn that had a ton of vintage gas station decorations - I just HAD to stop and take a pic!!

Overall, excellent day and still loving this bike more & more 👍🤘

Last edited:

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Took a ride down to the "Conservative Grounds" this morning and met my sister. She told me about it and I had to go. If you're a Biden backer I don't think you'd like this place! But, they have a mock POTUS desk, guns hanging all over the one wall, Trump merchandise, great coffee/donuts/pastries/bagels/etc...

Everyone is your friend there and I found a Vietnam Vet wearing a "Strawberry Lightning" hat. I HAD to talk to him! Vietnam was my "thing" as a young teen...books, movies, comics, history, documentaries, etc... And I was always amazed at the 25th Infantry. Those guys were BAD ASS! He was so nice, he served in '66 (volunteered even!) and wasn't going to let anyone tell him to wear a mask! 😂

Here's some pics...albeit I never got a bike shot in. I'll be back, even though it's about 60 miles for me to get there. I'll take one then!

IMG_20200712_102614663_HDR (1).jpgIMG_20200712_112224190.jpg

And me with my sister:

IMG_20200712_112350222.jpg

Top Bottom