• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's What did you do with your 650 today?

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
As the Irish man said ( it's on u tube somewhere ) in a council meeting , ' they talk about climate change but we've always had the weather'.:D

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
Yeah, well today made me glad I dont have a tail tidy fitted on my rainy morning commute. Had to ride through some mud laid down by one of those tipper trucks, taking soil somewhere, arrived at work and its all over the back of the bike, including part of the pillion seat cover. Fortunately none over my back, which I imagine it would have been if the OEM plate hanger wasnt there with its pieces of "snowplow" plastic.
Why cant these companies who operate earth moving vehicles on public roads clean up after themselves!

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Yeah, well today made me glad I dont have a tail tidy fitted on my rainy morning commute. Had to ride through some mud laid down by one of those tipper trucks, taking soil somewhere, arrived at work and its all over the back of the bike, including part of the pillion seat cover. Fortunately none over my back, which I imagine it would have been if the OEM plate hanger wasnt there with its pieces of "snowplow" plastic.
Why cant these companies who operate earth moving vehicles on public roads clean up after themselves!
Quite agree.

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
After all the wet weather we have been having, decided to give the bike a good clean, including the chain which needed re-lubing anyway, and had a few spots of rust on the rollers :mad:. There was also a little rust on some of the teeth of the rear sprocket. Doesn't take much wet running for it to start appearing.

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
Have you considered a Scottoiler ?

I have, normally if I keep on top of maintenance it isnt a problem, but because it has been a few days of rain I just hadnt been able to relube the chain. Oilers are great, but the big turnoff for me is having tubing running along the bottom of the swingarm. If someone could come up with a delivery system that administers the oil near the front sprocket I would be all over it like a rash!

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I have, normally if I keep on top of maintenance it isnt a problem, but because it has been a few days of rain I just hadnt been able to relube the chain. Oilers are great, but the big turnoff for me is having tubing running along the bottom of the swingarm. If someone could come up with a delivery system that administers the oil near the front sprocket I would be all over it like a rash!

YOU CAN!!! Many riders run the line into the front sprocket. It's that simple!!! And actually, one could argue, that pointing the oiler at the front sprocket is better for oil coverage on the chain than having it at the rear sprocket.

I plan to do that with mine when I find a bracket to make sure the oil line stays solid when pointed at the front sprocket.

The downside would be that you'll have to occasionally take of the front sprocket cover to ensure the line is still fixed at the area you wanted it pointing to, but that's not difficult.

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
YOU CAN!!! Many riders run the line into the front sprocket. It's that simple!!! And actually, one could argue, that pointing the oiler at the front sprocket is better for oil coverage on the chain than having it at the rear sprocket.

I plan to do that with mine when I find a bracket to make sure the oil line stays solid when pointed at the front sprocket.

The downside would be that you'll have to occasionally take of the front sprocket cover to ensure the line is still fixed at the area you wanted it pointing to, but that's not difficult.

Mmm, might have to do some searching then to see how people have done this. The compact nature of the Cameleon oiler is appealing and how it runs off the rear light.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Front sprocket feeds are doable, but a pita compared to the rear. Also because of the higher rpm at the front fling is a bigger problem.

Whatever you do, don't feed it to the top of the chain by front sprocket, like my dealer did... All you do is oil the engine 🙄

J

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
FINALLY...got a chance to ride a little. This is Florida's hurricane season which means, if it ain't hurricane-in' then it's ALWAYS rain'in!

So after errands I got home and took a little jaunt to get some lunch before today's rain storms came in. Three things:

1) Why I have a dash camera:

(Still can't get the time stamp to work.)

2) ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings! Notice how this young lady merged and then, after I beeped, she noticed...but STILL came into my lane! When I rode by she had her hands over her forehead and she got my middle finger. Luckily, I "kind of" saw that something might occur...so I mentally prepared.

3) It felt SOOO NICE to get on the bike, even if just for a little bit! It's been over a week since I rode and I'm still loving the CB!

***BTW...I would have beeped the horn a lot sooner...if it wasn't for the fact my thumb went to the turn signal button instead! Damn Honda and their reverse blinker/horn buttons!!!! Damn them!!! :p

Last edited:

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
Did 50 miles this morning, total ODO 480 miles now, 1st service around the corner. Gotta gather up filter and oil. I'm moderately "leaning" on the engine time to time but have yet to actually redline it, choosing to defer till after that service.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Did 50 miles this morning, total ODO 480 miles now, 1st service around the corner. Gotta gather up filter and oil. I'm moderately "leaning" on the engine time to time but have yet to actually redline it, choosing to defer till after that service.
- :eek: Think how you are devaluing the bike putting all those miles on the clock :D
I have never redlined any bike !

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
right, ok , sure, i believe you :happy: .........not! :)
Honestly, can't think when I have gone anywhere near the redline on a bike. I mean, what revs are you doing on a CB650F at say 100mph in top gear
for example - or how fast would you be going on the redline in top gear ?

beneweis

CBR650R ABS
May 14, 2019
100mph in top gear would be around 7 - 8k rpm on the cbr650.

But redlining while sprinting is a lot of fun, you should try it.

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
I cranked up the rear preload this morning. It was set from the factory at almost full soft. I'm 6'1" and 200lbs with gear, so I cranked it up 2 positions, rode it off some sweet jumps to test it out (concrete slab heaves on the interstate), and then cranked it up two more positions. Much better.

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
Before I left work today, I checked the traffic report and read that the interstate was backed up for miles because of a deadly collision. Two riders on a motorcycle struck a Jeep on an off-ramp exit and died. The impact was hard enough to turn the Jeep over on its side, and what was left of the motorcycle caught fire and burned. It's believed the motorcycle was speeding and the Jeep cut in front of them. It was not the best news to read before heading home on my motorcycle.
So I take the city roads home and suffer through all manner of traffic, only to have an idiot in a Cadillac flip a U-turn in front of me on a local road leading to my neighborhood. He just casually made a right hand turn onto a side road, but then spun it to the left and kept going around until his car was splayed sideways across both lanes in front of me. I laid on the horn and went around behind his land barge, which was stationary because he had to stop and go in reverse to complete a three point turn to get his Cadillac turned around, despite using the entirety of the side road entrance in his turn. I came to a stop just on the other side of his rear bumper and loudly expressed my displeasure, with more profanity and far less composure than I should have.
The sad news had already pissed me off about how many drivers never seem to look for traffic, much less motorcycles, before executing their stupidity on the road. But after I came to a stop and asked the guy what he was thinking, he didn't even apologize, and that really pissed me off. He was in the wrong in several ways, and had I been in a vehicle, I would have hit his side of the car. His own self-interest should have compelled him to check for traffic before swinging his car back out into the street for a U-turn that he couldn't even complete without stopping and reversing. But instead, he tried to blame me for almost hitting him, and I lost it.
But as I sit at home and watch the news covering the deadly motorcycle accident that happened earlier, coverage of the very accident that put me on that road instead of my normal route home, all I can think about is how being in the right isn't a defense against the very real chance of being dead. Ride safe guys and gals, keep vigilant, and always expect the worst so you can live to ride the best.

Top Bottom