• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Vendors and product detail disclosures (taken from: PAIR VALVE REMOVAL (improved version))

Mr1275

CB650R
Jul 23, 2020
Riding Since
Thought this may be of interest to anyone thinking of fitting a SmartMoto PV Eliminator Kit
I emailed SmartMoto regarding the value of the resistor they use in their kits now for our machines, I also asked for their views on waterproofing their plugin resistor once it's fitted.
I'm surprised they say they don't know the resistor value in a product they are selling.
Maybe I'm being cynical but perhaps they are worried about future sales should they divulge this top secret info, or just covering their asses. 🤣

Either way it's still nicely made and an easy kit to fit should you have the hands of a small child.

IMG_7227[2955].jpg

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Thought this may be of interest to anyone thinking of fitting a SmartMoto PV Eliminator Kit
I emailed SmartMoto regarding the value of the resistor they use in their kits now for our machines, I also asked for their views on waterproofing their plugin resistor once it's fitted.
I'm surprised they say they don't know the resistor value in a product they are selling.
Maybe I'm being cynical but perhaps they are worried about future sales should they divulge this top secret info, or just covering their asses. 🤣

Either way it's still nicely made and an easy kit to fit should you have the hands of a small child.

View attachment 12064
I think you’re way overthinking this whole thing because they absolutely do know the value, they say it’s not available from the R&D department. Thing is if they told you what it was they wouldn’t have to sell you the kit, would they? It’s literally 99% of their product.

It’s like calling KFC and asking them what the 11 herbs and spices are; that’s their product and what makes it work. I wouldn’t give it out either!!!!

Mr1275

CB650R
Jul 23, 2020
Riding Since
I think you’re way overthinking this whole thing because they absolutely do know the value, they say it’s not available from the R&D department. Thing is if they told you what it was they wouldn’t have to sell you the kit, would they? It’s literally 99% of their product.

It’s like calling KFC and asking them what the 11 herbs and spices are; that’s their product and what makes it work. I wouldn’t give it out either!!!!
Of course they know, is that not what I said in my post above 😂

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
I get the KFC analogy but this is after market motor parts. I'd like a company to be transparent when it comes to replacement parts. We could be putting crap in there that could burn out.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I get the KFC analogy but this is after market motor parts. I'd like a company to be transparent when it comes to replacement parts. We could be putting crap in there that could burn out.
But the makeup of their replacement part is not a valid question. They provide a part that they designed to work, why would they tell you what that part is? You could replicate it and not buy theirs; that’s a bad business decision.

Mr1275

CB650R
Jul 23, 2020
Riding Since
So why would you email a company and ask them what the part they designed and sell is made of? You could then replicate it so they’d have no sale, that's my point.
The point of my emailing them was to find out what value resistor they use, nearly every post relating to the resistor to be used in this topic give differing values.
There is even a photo some where in the posts showing a failed resistor.
My question to SmartMoto were purely for my own interest and piece of mind and not as you are implying for any monitory gain.
There are several mentions on here about making the resistor waterproof, most likely the reason one guy had theirs fail, SmartMoto made it quite plain that if using one of their kits not to do this, so I class that as valuable information, don't you ?

Information I was happy to pass on to other members on here, not everyone has the money or knowhow to strip the bike to the degree needed to fit a SmartMoto kit, my thoughts were if I could at least ascertain the correct value resistor others could buy them cheaply then block the relevant pipework and arrive at the end goal.

Unless you have a vested interest in SmartMoto I really don't see your problem here.

I have contacted the UK supplier I bought my kit from and asked the same questions, they were very forthcoming in their reply.
Just remove the resistor, from the module, remove the heat shrink and check the colour banding of the resistor against a resistor chart, that will give true value of the resistor used, reapply heat shrink and refit, but do not cover the module.

I think that's a common sense approach and certainly no reason for any upset.

I hope some members find this useful.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
The point of my emailing them was to find out what value resistor they use, nearly every post relating to the resistor to be used in this topic give differing values.
There is even a photo some where in the posts showing a failed resistor.
My question to SmartMoto were purely for my own interest and piece of mind and not as you are implying for any monitory gain.
There are several mentions on here about making the resistor waterproof, most likely the reason one guy had theirs fail, SmartMoto made it quite plain that if using one of their kits not to do this, so I class that as valuable information, don't you ?

Information I was happy to pass on to other members on here, not everyone has the money or knowhow to strip the bike to the degree needed to fit a SmartMoto kit, my thoughts were if I could at least ascertain the correct value resistor others could buy them cheaply then block the relevant pipework and arrive at the end goal.

Unless you have a vested interest in SmartMoto I really don't see your problem here.

I have contacted the UK supplier I bought my kit from and asked the same questions, they were very forthcoming in their reply.
Just remove the resistor, from the module, remove the heat shrink and check the colour banding of the resistor against a resistor chart, that will give true value of the resistor used, reapply heat shrink and refit, but do not cover the module.

I think that's a common sense approach and certainly no reason for any upset.

I hope some members find this useful.
To be very clear I am not implying YOU are looking to gain any monetary value, I’m simply stating a company will not be smart to give out the one “proprietary” piece of information of their product because if they did you’d have no reason to buy it ever again. That’s a simple fact (note the KFC reference I made). My original comment, and still current position, is in response to you appearing somewhat annoyed that they wouldn’t give out the info on their product. I get why they wouldn’t.

I have no vested interest in the Smartmoto product or company at all and only commented on the reasons why they would not give out the info. The only person upset here is you. The fact they state there is not a need to waterproof their setup only applies to their system, so unless I’m putting in a Smartmoto plug, it doesn’t apply.

It’s been said several times in this thread the values that the bike is looking for so there should be no reason to overthink this and second guess what’s already been said and the reasons why. My original point. I bet once you remove the heat shrink you’ll find that out.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
It would be like buying a spark plug or oil wit no specs. That's the way I see it.
Here’s your spark plug analogy: NGK doesn’t tell you every minute detail of the internal specs, makeup and alloys that go into their proprietary spark plug, do they? If they did Champion could replicate their $40 iridium plug and sell it for $15 thus stealing market share,nright?

Now a take on oil: Mobil 1 doesn’t share their additive packet with Maxima nor does Amsoil share their additive makeup with Castrol. Call one of them up and ask them what their additive mix is made up of, you won’t get it. The only variable thing in these solenoid plugs is the resistor, the one thing that makes their product do it’s job.

I’m not surprised at all they wouldn’t give out that info, nor would I expect them to. Thats the way I see it.

The proper info has been given out here numerous times as well as several failures, the whys on how it failed and how to avoid it. I’m not sure why there is so much question on this all of a sudden.

To each their own, however.

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
Here’s your spark plug analogy: NGK doesn’t tell you every minute detail of the internal specs, makeup and alloys that go into their proprietary spark plug, do they? If they did Champion could replicate their $40 iridium plug and sell it for $15 thus stealing market share,nright?

Now a take on oil: Mobil 1 doesn’t share their additive packet with Maxima nor does Amsoil share their additive makeup with Castrol. Call one of them up and ask them what their additive mix is made up of, you won’t get it. The only variable thing in these solenoid plugs is the resistor, the one thing that makes their product do it’s job.

I’m not surprised at all they wouldn’t give out that info, nor would I expect them to. Thats the way I see it.

The proper info has been given out here numerous times as well as several failures, the whys on how it failed and how to avoid it. I’m not sure why there is so much question on this all of a sudden.

To each their own, however.
But they tell you operating ranges for oil and spark plugs? Those types of ranges are important if you are replacing an electrical circuit especially for safety which is important for a resistor right?

I have often got feedback on parts from companys designed for different variants of our bikes not yet availabe to our models yet. I dont think it should be sunch an issue to provide peace of mind.

Otherwise whats to stop me from selling some awsome "waterless" coolant and name it Evans, or a special chip you put in your fuel tank to give you infinate range... :p

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
But they tell you operating ranges for oil and spark plugs? Those types of ranges are important if you are replacing an electrical circuit especially for safety which is important for a resistor right?

I have often got feedback on parts from companys designed for different variants of our bikes not yet availabe to our models yet. I dont think it should be sunch an issue to provide peace of mind.

Otherwise whats to stop me from selling some awsome "waterless" coolant and name it Evans, or a special chip you put in your fuel tank to give you infinate range... :p
This is the last I’ll say on this:

I agree about operating parameters, but that’s not what was asked or is being discussed. He asked the company the resister value (the product components) and if it needed to be sealed at all (the operating conditions you’re talking about).

They gave him a clear answer about conditions, their product is waterproof and doesn’t need any additional sealing, but didn’t provide a valid for a major component, the resister value. That’s an understandable response, their product is literally a plug and that resister.

Oh, and your waterless coolant and special fuel tank chip? That stuff is sold ALL THE TIME by people selling nothing but ideas. Booster plugs are one of them…….

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
This is the last I’ll say on this:

I agree about operating parameters, but that’s not what was asked or is being discussed. He asked the company the resister value (the product components) and if it needed to be sealed at all (the operating conditions you’re talking about).

They gave him a clear answer about conditions, their product is waterproof and doesn’t need any additional sealing, but didn’t provide a valid for a major component, the resister value. That’s an understandable response, their product is literally a plug and that resister.

Oh, and your waterless coolant and special fuel tank chip? That stuff is sold ALL THE TIME by people selling nothing but ideas. Booster plugs are one of them…….
haha id call it snake oil personally! plenty of that going around so its good to check these things

Mr1275

CB650R
Jul 23, 2020
Riding Since
To be very clear I am not implying YOU are looking to gain any monetary value, I’m simply stating a company will not be smart to give out the one “proprietary” piece of information of their product because if they did you’d have no reason to buy it ever again. That’s a simple fact (note the KFC reference I made). My original comment, and still current position, is in response to you appearing somewhat annoyed that they wouldn’t give out the info on their product. I get why they wouldn’t.

I have no vested interest in the Smartmoto product or company at all and only commented on the reasons why they would not give out the info. The only person upset here is you. The fact they state there is not a need to waterproof their setup only applies to their system, so unless I’m putting in a Smartmoto plug, it doesn’t apply.

It’s been said several times in this thread the values that the bike is looking for so there should be no reason to overthink this and second guess what’s already been said and the reasons why. My original point. I bet once you remove the heat shrink you’ll find that out.
Why the need for the capital letters in "YOU" it would appear to me the only person getting annoyed here is you.
For point of clarification please point out what term of phrase leads you ( wrongly ) to assume I'm annoyed with their reply, you accuse me over overthinking the issue, maybe take a closer look at yourself before making these false accusations.

Or is this all because you are " Staff " and like to throw your weight about ?
My final word on this to you is this, if I've contravened forum rules, been rude to anyone, led people up the garden path, then by all means use your mighty powers, remove my posts and ban me if that's your desire.
At 72 years of age and riding experience of well over 50 of those years I take exception to an all mouth and trousers YANK trying to belittle my input.
There we are, you can now ban me and sleep easy at night with a clear conscience 🖕

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Why the need for the capital letters in "YOU" it would appear to me the only person getting annoyed here is you.
For point of clarification please point out what term of phrase leads you ( wrongly ) to assume I'm annoyed with their reply, you accuse me over overthinking the issue, maybe take a closer look at yourself before making these false accusations.

Or is this all because you are " Staff " and like to throw your weight about ?
My final word on this to you is this, if I've contravened forum rules, been rude to anyone, led people up the garden path, then by all means use your mighty powers, remove my posts and ban me if that's your desire.
At 72 years of age and riding experience of well over 50 of those years I take exception to an all mouth and trousers YANK trying to belittle my input.
There we are, you can now ban me and sleep easy at night with a clear conscience 🖕
I really think you are taking this to the negative and you are mistaking what I am saying as negative and against you, it's 100% absolutely not. I will send you a PM to hopefully explain things.

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
to close this resistor theme
smartmoto resistor use 10Kohms 1/4
View attachment 12069
edit: strange value. I read with multimeter and is correct value !!!
Holy shit! no wonder they wont tell us the value. thanks for checking.

So this is way out of spec that was previously mentioned on the pair valve thread, and its a flimsy resitor that you would stick in a breadboard for a colledge project. Looks like it could burnout according to some of our resident experts.

Does this plug trigger the MIL light when you plug it in?

It would be good to hear what the more knowledgable folks in the forum think about this value.

shark650 @shark650 Does it look like you can pull the resistor easily and replace it with another?

Last edited:

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I believe in transparency: M @Mr1275 got a 30 day vacation for personal attacks.

I sincerely attempted an apology and was blasted because of my age, being a mod and where I was born and the fact I dared to have an opinion. He asked again in the message to be banned, worded his response to me in a manner that it would happen so he was given a cooling off period of 30 days.

Top Bottom