• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Valve clearance check at 32k miles

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Brammers, Seeing that you did your valve check over 50,000km did you change your spark plugs at 24,000km?
Also are you still riding on stock battery?

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
All checks are on schedule as per manual. Plugs have been changed as per schedule with iridium ones (16/32k miles)

My original battery was tired (but just ok), however I swapped that for a yuasa the other week to be safe - it did 5 years.

J

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
All back together today. Bit of advice... Mark the timing chain and sprockets with a sharpie before you remove the camshafts.

It would have taken some guesswork out of the reassembly process. The marks Honda use don't line up until the camshafts are fastened fully down.

But all is good... Only 0.01mm or less out of spec now on all valves.

She fired first time and purred like a kitten.

J

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
Brammers, did you find you needed to change the cylinder head cover packing or was there no need?

I'm just getting some bits together for my check which is due soon. Took a while to find a feeler gauge that goes down to 0.03mm, three bond sealant is next on my list.

Also, I could do with the photo of the frankenstein like tool you had to create to remove the spark plugs! What socket size are they out of interest?

Last edited:

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Good luck on the threebond... I have a massive tube of it.

The packing is reusable... Top tip : use some threebond to stick it to the rocker cover for easy reassembly.

I'll have to dig out the tool pic lol

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
Nice! That's great, I have all those bits so should be able to get them out. Thanks for the help 👍

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
So I tackled this last night, although a 16k check instead. After 16k miles my clearances are:

EX0.280.290.290.290.300.300.300.28
IN0.180.200.180.180.190.180.200.20

So I would expect some exhaust valve shims in another 16k. It was good fun to be honest, I've never done it before but managed it alone quite comfortably with the service manual at my side and a cup of coffee. Getting the feeler gauges under the exhaust cams was fiddly though.

I can't remember who said to use the spark plug cap to pull them up and out but whoever it was, I'm glad you posted it here because I had a moment where I had no idea how to get them out haha, they should really add that tip to the manual. It was also very easy to undo them once the head cover had been removed, all I needed was a ratchet, 3/8" extension and a 40mm deep 16mm socket for all 4. Since the clearance check and spark plug services coincide I would strongly recommend doing just that, swap plugs after the head cover has been removed.

I've had a buzz coming from this area for about 2k miles I put down to pair valves coming a little loose. So I removed them too, cleaned up the plates, reed valves, mating surfaces and applied a little TB5211C before tightening them back up. Re-assembly later tonight 👍

20200924_122327.jpg20200924_122852.jpg20200923_231426.jpg20200923_231432.jpg

Danielegenovesi76

CB650F ABS
Aug 8, 2020
Riding Since
There is a way to use a wrench straight to remove the spark plugs?? without making the tool who brammers did........I have rachet I use to remove spark plugs on my fiesta should be same size right? Next motorcycle buy electric one 😆 🤣 😂

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
Don’t worry when everyone goes electric a solar flare will take out the grid and we’ll all be looking for a diesel Royal Enfield.

Danielegenovesi76

CB650F ABS
Aug 8, 2020
Riding Since
Oh no I was joking about electric because like the tesla its maintenance free no oil change no spark plugs no valve adjustment just battery........

Sonx

CBR650F
I have just hit 16k miles and as per the service manual, I should do a valve check and adjustment. I plan on doing my first valve check around 17k once I get back from a moto-camping trip. I live in San Francisco (high cost of living) and my Honda dealership and shop estimated it would cost at least $680.00 Labor + at least $150.00 in parts. That means I am looking at $900 - $1100 (after tax) just for a valve check that might be still in spec or I could pay ~$1400 for full service (which I don’t really need). I am guessing most of the labor is in the time it takes to remove all the plastics/fairings off and putting them back on.

I know valve checks aren’t that difficult they just take time, the right tools, and the expertise. I lack the right tools and expertise. I most of my basic maintenance so I am thinking of hiring a mobile mechanic (cheaper than a shop) to assist so I can learn and won’t have to pay labor for opening up my bike.

I would like to go into the job with a little bit of knowledge so I am not taken advantage of by the mobile mechanic.

Questions:
  1. I want to purchase all the OEM parts that the mechanic may need to adjust the valves beforehand, what should I buy? The mechanic should have torque wrenches and maybe a shim kit.

2. I know I might need a shim kit, what shim kit/sizes should I buy? If the mechanic has a kit I’ll just return it later.

3. My dealership told me that the reason it would be at least $150.00 in parts is that they never re-use the cylinder gasket head as part of their policy. Should I be purchasing a new cylinder gasket head?

4. Are there any tips you can give me specifically for a 2015 CBR 650F? I want to go into the valve check as prepared as possible so I don't get scammed and can verify his work.

I know I might be able to skip this check but I want peace of mind because I go on long road trips. I don’t want to have to do this again until the next interval at 32k so I want it done right and everything adjusted and replaced if it needs to be.

I have already read Brammers @Brammers thread (https://650f.bike/threads/valve-clearance-check-at-32k-miles.2128/) for as many tips as I could pick up but I am looking for advice and answers to my specific questions and situation.

Thanks in advance, just looking for any tips and insight here!

Last edited:
Top Bottom