• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650F Useful tools to have!

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Thought I’d start a thread on tools, namely, “gadgets” that help in motorcycle maintenance. I’ve found some unique tool and gadgets, some that have worked great and some that haven’t really panned out.

Here’s some things that I have and use. What do you all have?

First, I am a big fan of Motion Pro and Bike Master. Although they have some similar gadgets I think the ingenuity is pretty cool. Are there better ways that don’t cost any money? Of course. But I’ve wasted more money on beer that’s gotten me nothing but a headache to show for!

Motion Pro Chain Alignment tool. I use this after every chain and tire change, and sometimes just to make sure the chain is good to go. Inexpensive but worth it!

sm_08-0048.jpg

Motion Pro Sprocket Jammer. Used this a lot on all my chain bikes. Until the Versys, which tore the thing up (long story but Kawasaki is known for torqueing their front sprocket nuts 5 times tighter than they’re supposed to!) this is an awesome tool for chain replacement.

sm_08-0642_copy.jpg

SprocketStuff Sprocket jammer. This is a great tool for getting that front sprocket nut off. After ruining my Motion Pro I came across this, called the designer and had a great conversation with him. He doesn’t ride but came up with this for his son who is an avid dirt bike rider. This one allows you to set it up for 3 different size sprockets. Sure, you could probably come up with something yourself if you can cut metal, but I like supporting small businesses. Plus, he was really nice and he’s also designed a trailer hitch that carries motorcycles. His is unique! Anyway he has Sprocketstuff.com and alljammedupinc.com

shapeimage_2.png

Motion Pro Cable Luber. I use this maybe once a year but it’s easy and avoids a lot of mess.

sm_08-0182.jpg

And then my current favorite, the NoMar Motorcycle Tire Changer!!! This thing is awesome! Before I bought this I had never changed a motorcycle tire. I watched the videos where people do it manually with spoons and whatnot and I didn't really want to risk ruining a rim or struggling. So I figured why not? Yes, it’s pretty expensive ($650) but my very first tire change took me 5 minutes actual labor time! That’s dismounting and mounting! I believe the trick is in the (dis)mounting bar. If you follow the instructions it works wonders.

Sure, it’s going to take a few tire changes to break even but it’s nice to have it in case of a nail in a tire or just time to change out the old ones. I don’t have to muscle through tire spoons, I don’t have to pay the extra $30-$50 the shops charge, I don't have to wait for an appointment, and…I’ve discovered I have new friends!!!

TC-CLASSIC-1.jpg

This isn't my video but it's shows how to use the NoMar. If you get one make sure your bolt it to concrete. A pallet won't work. And it's definitely better than a Harbor Freight cheapie!

Another Motion Pro tool, the Chain SlackSetter. I’ve used this a couple of times but to be honest, I think using a ruler is a little easier and quicker. Even so it does work.

sm_08-0674_alt2_copy.jpg

I also use the Harbor Freight Wheel Balancer. It's not the best but it works...and it's cheaper than many others!

1560124120521.png

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
The must useful tools in my garage, which help me fix dozens of bikes for people are my kitty litter bucket, kitty litter tray and Rice cooker.

Recycled my rice cooker, to heat gear oil to lube chains, soak parts with cleaning supplies and leave over night on the warm setting.

The Kitty Litter bucket has a orbital sander velcro to it. I hang it on the ceiling of the garage with rope, and I leave it on for 30 mins to also help clean parts with hot water, and pinesol It's a super cheap ultra sonic cleaner!

The kitty litter tray is for draining oil or coolant.

753027.jpg

spin_prod_ec_794780201[1].jpg

images.jpg

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Thought I’d start a thread on tools, namely, “gadgets” that help in motorcycle maintenance. I’ve found some unique tool and gadgets, some that have worked great and some that haven’t really panned out.

Here’s some things that I have and use. What do you all have?

First, I am a big fan of Motion Pro and Bike Master. Although they have some similar gadgets I think the ingenuity is pretty cool. Are there better ways that don’t cost any money? Of course. But I’ve wasted more money on beer that’s gotten me nothing but a headache to show for!

Motion Pro Chain Alignment tool. I use this after every chain and tire change, and sometimes just to make sure the chain is good to go. Inexpensive but worth it!

sm_08-0048.jpg

Motion Pro Sprocket Jammer. Used this a lot on all my chain bikes. Until the Versys, which tore the thing up (long story but Kawasaki is known for torqueing their front sprocket nuts 5 times tighter than they’re supposed to!) this is an awesome tool for chain replacement.

sm_08-0642_copy.jpg

SprocketStuff Sprocket jammer. This is a great tool for getting that front sprocket nut off. After ruining my Motion Pro I came across this, called the designer and had a great conversation with him. He doesn’t ride but came up with this for his son who is an avid dirt bike rider. This one allows you to set it up for 3 different size sprockets. Sure, you could probably come up with something yourself if you can cut metal, but I like supporting small businesses. Plus, he was really nice and he’s also designed a trailer hitch that carries motorcycles. His is unique! Anyway he has Sprocketstuff.com and alljammedupinc.com

shapeimage_2.png

Motion Pro Cable Luber. I use this maybe once a year but it’s easy and avoids a lot of mess.

sm_08-0182.jpg

And then my current favorite, the NoMar Motorcycle Tire Changer!!! This thing is awesome! Before I bought this I had never changed a motorcycle tire. I watched the videos where people do it manually with spoons and whatnot and I didn't really want to risk ruining a rim or struggling. So I figured why not? Yes, it’s pretty expensive ($650) but my very first tire change took me 5 minutes actual labor time! That’s dismounting and mounting! I believe the trick is in the (dis)mounting bar. If you follow the instructions it works wonders.

Sure, it’s going to take a few tire changes to break even but it’s nice to have it in case of a nail in a tire or just time to change out the old ones. I don’t have to muscle through tire spoons, I don’t have to pay the extra $30-$50 the shops charge, I don't have to wait for an appointment, and…I’ve discovered I have new friends!!!

TC-CLASSIC-1.jpg

This isn't my video but it's shows how to use the NoMar. If you get one make sure your bolt it to concrete. A pallet won't work. And it's definitely better than a Harbor Freight cheapie!

Another Motion Pro tool, the Chain SlackSetter. I’ve used this a couple of times but to be honest, I think using a ruler is a little easier and quicker. Even so it does work.

sm_08-0674_alt2_copy.jpg

I also use the Harbor Freight Wheel Balancer. It's not the best but it works...and it's cheaper than many others!

View attachment 3319

Those are some good tools, I have most of them including the No Mar setup which works great.

For setting chains, I have a monkey something chain tool, was linked off the old site and it works great.

The only thing I’d personally advise against is the cable lubing tool and only because MOST cables nowadays have a Teflon inner sleeve and do not require lubing. If it’s sticking, replace it; most OEM cables are in the $20 range for a new one, far easier than hoping the lube works.

I’d also suggest an impact driver (not the same thing as an impact wrench), a JAS screwdriver or two, and decent torque wrenches in 1/2”, 3/8” and 1/4” sizes.

Last edited:

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Old oil bottle (4L) with the side cut out make a good oil pan, even has a pouring spout built in. Been using the same one for 25 years.

A length of wood as a tank prop is helpful when doing the plugs/air filter etc.

I also have a block of wood that makes the bike almost upright on the side stand to make oil level checks an easy one man job.

J

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
57-63-010-2.jpg

For holding up tank and moving/holding radiator forward for header nut access.

130adb4f-8bf3-462d-a5bb-7d0253e47bac

Haven't used on bike...yet, but cheap and effective way to remove old fluids (ie. brake fluid) before a flush. I use on my vehicles to empty brake fluid reservoir before flushing....don't want to push crap back through master and calipers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom