• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

US vs EU black

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
Wait, the US Honda website shows a matte nose and fender, the name is "matte black", but the US model is actually gloss?? Is that correct?

JH09

CB650R ABS
Jul 29, 2020
Riding Since
looks like a mix of matte and gloss. interesting the CBR tank is gloss black, and the CB tank is matte black...

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
Frustrating, matte black should be ... matte. When will 2022 liveries be announced? I wonder if the '21 CB tank could be swapped to a CBR. And if I could secure a Euro matte '20 nose fairing. Man, I would really like that. That's really poor form to show the wrong model and wrong year on the website (it's the 2020 Euro model on the USA 2021 website).

Last edited:

MDM650R

CBR650R
Aug 31, 2021
Riding Since
2021 Matte Black is Matte fairings, then Gloss Tank, Tail, and area surrounding headlight.

I picked mine up just over a month ago, and personally I think they look great. The two-tone effect makes for some nice photos, just can get a bit difficult to clean the bike clean.
I can get some photos up if you'd like.

I was curious about 2022's aswell, from memory I researched and found that the 2021 liveries were announced in January 21' - So i imagine that the 2022's won't be out for a while yet..

In Australia, for 2021 the only available models were Matte Black, and the Smoky Grey - The grey liveries look nice, but i'm just not 100% sold. I really wanted a classic Red livery but none available for 21..
Would be cool to see some form of Blue for 2022..

MDM650R

CBR650R
Aug 31, 2021
Riding Since
And if I could secure a Euro matte '20 nose fairing. Man, I would really like that.
I think you'd struggle as the Glossy nose is part of the body- It wouldn't be impossible, but a pain. I also think the shades of matte black are slightly different..
Maybe look at a custom Wrap job instead?

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
I put down at a dealer that didn't ask for any markup, unlike the +$1400 Bay Area dealer. Will pick up this Saturday. There are precious few left in CA until the '22 model arrives next March or whenever.

The matte black CB tank costs $738 ... if it's the same tank as the CBR, maybe I will swap it next year. Are they the same tank save for color?

MDM650R

CBR650R
Aug 31, 2021
Riding Since
I wouldn't know if the tanks are the same fitment.. Looks like the part numbers are different so I would do your reserach.

17500MKND10ZB - CBR650R fuel tank

17500MKND50ZD - CB650R fuel tank

There are 2 part numbers for fuel tank for each bike, so im not sure. Regardless, all 4 potential part numbers are different.

MDM650R

CBR650R
Aug 31, 2021
Riding Since
Good luck mate, if you go ahead with that then be sure to keep this forum updated, I'm sure lots of people (including myself) would love to see the result.

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
I did buy the black '21 CBR650R last weekend, but it's raining now. It's been a while since I had an inline-4, man it just keeps revving, lol. I like that it's not "too fast" as what's not shown in this pic is my glorious Speed Triple 1200, but its power and upper rpms are inaccessible for street riding. Ninja 650 is definitely the comfy commuter compared to the sporty CBR.

two.jpg

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Thread jacking... What are your thoughts on the Ninja? I've contemplated the Ninja 650 / 400 and also now the R3 / R7. I still like the CBR650R, but I'm getting bored.

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
Thread jacking... What are your thoughts on the Ninja? I've contemplated the Ninja 650 / 400 and also now the R3 / R7. I still like the CBR650R, but I'm getting bored.

At least with a Corbin seat, the Ninja 650 is more comfy, more leg room. The twin engine is punchy off the line but lacks top end. I put about 10,000 miles commuting on mine so far. I find the twin's low rpm fueling to be pretty atrocious, that's a hard smack down from the CBR. For a while I ran +1/-4 sprockets and rode it like a cruiser always at the lowest rpms, it's got the torque to do that. It's an anxiety-free ride, it's never begging me to push the bike as it has like reverse vtec, lol. Rate of power increase trails off with rpms.

I had an R3 but sold it because I wanted more freeway stability (more weight less nimble), and imho the power was lacking for 80 mph traffic over the hilly Altimont particularly on windy days. Nice little bike though.

The R7 has super committed ergos, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

The Ninja 400 seems to have an active forum and a lot of fans, but none of these twins are going to scream like the inline-4 CBR. I would imagine all of them to be more boring than what you've got ... I would think "more excitement" would be a Duke 890R, 765, Ducati Supersport, 636 ... but my Speed Triple 1200 has damaged my sense of performance, lol.

Honda Navi? :smuggrin:

MDM650R

CBR650R
Aug 31, 2021
Riding Since
I test-rode a Ninja 650 the other day for the first time and first impression over the CBR was "Wow- this is really comfortable. I could happily commute for MILES on this"

But then the rest of the bike was just so.. tame. I just didn't find any excitement out of it. I used to ride an MT07 and that Twin was great fun, but the Ninja's Twin felt so boring. Really just feels like a commuter/tourer

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
MDM650R, you are spot on. It's a great commuter, and just enough zip to be modestly pleasing, but there's nothing special that will have anyone writing love letters about it. Its only pro-gamer move is a guaranteed flawless jack rabbit start from every stop light due to the torque bias (2017+) and short 1st gear and easy to feather clutch. The problem is, I still have it because it's impossible to part with. Oh, I think 2017-19 were the best looking, before they got "H2'd" in 2020, I really do not like the new Kawasaki styling at all.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
If anyone is looking at an upgrade to their 650 I would suggest taking a Ducati Supersport for a test run. Its not perfect by any means, and the maintenance requirements can be very expensive, but it’s everything the 650F/R package has going for it with the fun torque of a twin yet pulls all the way to the top end and doesn’t sign off early like an MT-07, Ninja 650 or SV, and handles like it’s on rails.

I test rode mine to discount it and know I rode everything I could before making a decision on a new bike. Three seasons later I still don’t regret it, I still daydream about riding it and still walk out to the garage to look at it and turn back as I’m walking away from it to see it one last time. And I still have no plans to replace it, ‘22 will be my 4th season with it. That’s crazy coming from a guy who swapped out bikes every season or every other in the past.

The Aprilia 660 Tuono is looking another possible option so I’d also test ride that if I was in the market. Sat on one a few weekends ago and it’s sweet.

The R7 hits the nail on the head looks wise but is a very committed riding position. The other 600/650/700 options all are very compromised, boring and budget feeling for my personal tastes.

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
Hey, the USA gloss black ... is there any clear coat on the nose / tank / tail? Because when I added wax, my application pad turned black a little. Man, the black picks up micro-scratches like crazy, I'm thinking there's no clear coat, but not sure.

MDM650R

CBR650R
Aug 31, 2021
Riding Since
Yeah not sure- I just had a big roadtrip weekend away and my Gloss black got COVERED in bug splats- I'm pretty good at cleaning things but i just cannot seem to get the residues off yet.. think I might give it a heavy Cut, Polish, then seal with Ceramic coating

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
Yeah not sure- I just had a big roadtrip weekend away and my Gloss black got COVERED in bug splats- I'm pretty good at cleaning things but i just cannot seem to get the residues off yet.. think I might give it a heavy Cut, Polish, then seal with Ceramic coating

Yeah, I waxed the gloss black nose of the bike as much as possible to try to ease that pain as soon as I got the bike. Take a soapy-ish damp rag, and gently wipe. The goal is to get the soapy water to absorb into the roadkill a bit and soften it up. My gloss white Ninja and matte gray Triumph do not scuff like Honda gloss black. This is why I wanted the EU matte dark metallic on the nose ... also, the Honda Fit in metallic black lacked clear coat, more of the same, scuff city, but I digress.

MDM650R

CBR650R
Aug 31, 2021
Riding Since
Well thats the thing, I've soaked and cleaned it twice (I used to be a detailer for a short period so I consider myself not too bad) - but the residues from some of the bugsplats are still visible in the right light.
Doesn't help that I'm in Aus, those bug splats spent all weekend baking in 33 degree (celcius) weather. Pretty caked on there now.

I'm just a bit of a perfectionist and my bike is barely 2 months old.
I made the mistake of waxing overthem (thinking I had cleaned them all off already) - Think i'm going to try find some proper Bug-remover-stuff and give that a go - then maybe Cut/Wax again.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Ive not owned the R model but the red F model I had would leave red on the rag when waxing and polishing. I’m sure it’s clear coated but I’m not sure it’s very deep or especially robust. But I think all painted motorcycle plastic is like that, I know my Ducati will leave red as well, but not as much as the Honda did. My Triumph is silver so I don’t notice it much.

The fuel tank, however, never left anything.

I honestly think it’s hard to clear over flexible plastic panels so that’s sort of “normal”.

Top Bottom