Upcoming bike: CBR600RR back in business for 2020 ?

gilles

CBR650R ABS
Jul 8, 2019
Just was scrolling on youtube when i spotted this video:

Looks like Honda is bringing back the cbr600rr ...

What do you guys think about this bike ?
Any more information ?

Found a pre-spec sheet on the website of Honda America; CBR600RR_page-0001.jpg

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Just was scrolling on youtube when i spotted this video:

Looks like Honda is bringing back the cbr600rr ...

What do you guys think about this bike ?
Any more information ?

Found a pre-spec sheet on the website of Honda America; View attachment 5024

The 600RR never went away in the US, it’s the exact same bike as the ‘13 which save for bodywork, air intake and the Showa BPF fork is largely the same as the 09-12 bike. Which save for some minor emissions tweaks and lower fowls if the same as the 07/08 600RR.

So yeah, that ‘20 is for the most part an ‘07 with a few tweaks.

Great bike, still.

gilles

CBR650R ABS
Jul 8, 2019
The 600RR never went away in the US, it’s the exact same bike as the ‘13 which save for bodywork, air intake and the Showa BPF fork is largely the same as the 09-12 bike. Which save for some minor emissions tweaks and lower fowls if the same as the 07/08 600RR.

So yeah, that ‘20 is for the most part an ‘07 with a few tweaks.

Great bike, still.

It Never went away ? Ow I didn't know this, sorry !
I thought this model was gone because you can't find it on the European market anymore :p

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
I thought this model was gone because you can't find it on the European market anymore :p
Which is correct. It isn't sold here in Europe anymore due to Euro4 emission regulations.

edit:
well, that's not 100% the story. The sales of 600 supersports has been strongly declining for years and with the increasingly stricter emission rules, Honda probably just decided that putting R&D into the 600 platform to bring it up to Euro4 (and from next year on, Euro5) compliancy isn't worth the money.

mako

CB650R ABS
Dec 19, 2019
FL
Is it just me? The flat black stealth look for 19/20 just doesn't really do if for me with that bike. So many other nice color schemes in the past. White/Blue/Red of 13 being my favorite, but I also really like the Black/Red from 08/09.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
but I also really like the Black/Red from 08/09.

I liked that scheme as well, but the grey mid cowls just didn’t do it for me and the blue/silver was also great.

This is my ‘11 which had a red/black similar to the ‘09 with a little more red and OEM black lowers from an ‘08 so you can see the engine.

Still one of my all time favorite bikes, and still a “modern” looking Sportbike in my opinion, even with its age. Before I sold the bike it had a black ‘07 swingarm and black Vortex rearsets on it but this is one of my favorite pictures of it.
F3BB579A-281D-4E83-BF5A-2479CDB4DB11.jpeg

mako

CB650R ABS
Dec 19, 2019
FL
Yowza! Now that is what I am talking about. The contrast of those colors works so well together. The swingarm color change was a tremendous improvement to the looks also.

Robbymag

CBR650F ABS
Oct 24, 2019
Nice bike. not to fussed about mat black. Would be a bit to high maintenance, I believe you need special body wash no wax and that sort of thing not practical for me unless it’s a garage queen

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Yowza! Now that is what I am talking about. The contrast of those colors works so well together. The swingarm color change was a tremendous improvement to the looks also.
It was very striking in person as the red was very deep with some sparkle and the black had just a hint of shimmer to it. I never hugely minded the silver swingarm, if you look close the black stripes are edged with a shimmering metallic grey and the silver brought that out nicely but if I were to have kept it I would have powder coated the subframe and passenger pegs and eventually done some form of full exhaust to go with my Akra slip on to rid the bike of the cat which was silver and heated your right foot nicely.

The 600RR was sold as sort of a beginner bike or low cost sportbike but honestly I liked it way more than the ‘06 1000RR it replaced and other than outright top speed was a more complete bike than any liter I’d owned or ridden. I loved it on tight tracks, long tracks, fast roads, tight turns, sweepers, they are unbelievably nice bikes. It was the first bike I’ve owned I didn’t immediately run out and swap suspension on, even the springs were stock, it was that good. If I didn’t have a motorcycle addiction I’d have gotten Helibars for it and still kept it.

In the end I’m VERY happy with how the garage ended up (the Supersport S, Triumph Sprint GT and now my WR250R) but had I sold things in a different order I’d possibly still have the RR fun bike and a KTM Superduke GT for the two up sport tourer. Either way, I’m a happy guy; the Supersport is the perfect mix of the 600RR, 650F and a nice dose of attitude mixed together. The Triumph is a set of brake disks and suspension upgrade from perfect but both are close enough so I’m hesitating on spending anything more on it until it “needs” it or I feel like updating it.

Top Bottom